DNA Tests Confirm Bear Was a Hybrid

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 02:19 am
DNA Tests Confirm Bear Was a Hybrid

Associated Press
posted: 11 May 2006
12:34 pm ET

IQALUIT, Nunavut (AP) - Northern hunters, scientists and people with vivid imaginations have discussed the possibility for years.

But Roger Kuptana, an Inuvialuit guide from Sachs Harbour, Northwest Territories, was the first to suspect it had actually happened when he proposed that a strange-looking bear shot last month by an American sports hunter might be half polar bear, half grizzly.

Territorial officials seized the creature after noticing its white fur was scattered with brown patches and that it had the long claws and humped back of a grizzly. Now a DNA test has confirmed that it is indeed a hybrid - possibly the first documented in the wild.

"We've known it's possible, but actually most of us never thought it would happen," said Ian Stirling, a polar bear biologist with the Canadian Wildlife Service in Edmonton.

Polar bears and grizzlies have been successfully paired in zoos before - Stirling could not speculate why - and their offspring are fertile.

Breeding seasons for the two species overlap, though polar bear gets started slightly earlier.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,764 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Tico

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 08:29 am
I heard, but haven't confirmed, that some biologists suspect environmental factors have brought the two species together.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 08:44 am
Re: DNA Tests Confirm Bear Was a Hybrid
bobsmythhawk wrote:
Territorial officials seized the creature.

Has A2K set up a fund yet to bail Bi-Polar Bear out?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 08:49 am
There was an interesting report on CBC on this subject. Their interviewed expert pointed out that bears have "targeted" fertility, as opposed to general fertility. What he meant was that female bears only ovulate when in the presence of a male, and then only after continued proximity to the male. The expert stated that bears need to be in company for about two weeks for the female to ovulate, during which period of time the female attempts to drive off the male, at last succumbing only after ovulation. (I used the term "targeted fertility" only because i can't recall the specific term that gentleman used.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 05:31 pm
Pictures?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 05:34 pm
I thought you were talking about the dangerous ManBearPig.

It's half man, half bear, and half pig.

Keep your doors locked.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 05:36 pm
Well, I found a picture that I won't post. That's sad. People dreaming about the possibilities and then they found it, but it's dead. Look, something totally unique! Kill it! Lovely.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 05:38 pm
Isn't it true that a Polar Bear is not even a true bear? If that's true, this is even stranger than two different types of bear.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 05:38 pm
SICKO!

Bears been caught having sex with another brunette and you want pictures?

(Oh, wait. Pictures of the sex, or the offspring that has been shot?)
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 05:42 pm
Will we now see an influx of American "Sports" hunters? It is one thing to kill an animal for food. Where is the pleasure in shooting an animal for pure sport?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 06:27 pm
Ask cjhsa. Him and his idol Ted Nugent could explain all that "kill for sport" stuff, I'm sure.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 09:34 pm
I wonder what the creationists have to say about this.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 09:58 pm
Those co**suckers shot my nephew.... there will be payback... Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 01:52 pm
InfraBlue wrote:

This is not a case of creation or evolution. It is the mating of 2 different types of bears. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 02:21 pm
Really, y'know? How the heck did that get involved? And who shot bvt's nephew? Abortion bombers? Get a grip, guys?
0 Replies

EmilyGreen

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 02:31 pm
Hopefully someone will see another one alive and take a photo. Its possible.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 07:23 pm
Intrepid wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:

This is not a case of creation or evolution. It is the mating of 2 different types of bears. Rolling Eyes

The reason I ask is because according to creationism species are created individually and separately from each other. One can assume from this view point that they are not supposed to be able to interbreed, and create viable offspring.

In captivity lions and tigers will hybridize.

In the wild certain fish species will do the same.

If anything, your little animated gif images sure are cute, though.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 07:39 pm
As soon as I read the first post here, I figured the bastards had killed it!
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 02:20 am
My pal Mike, the guy I band hawks with, once caught a falcon that looked odd. He kept it long enough to confirm it was a hybrid due to the the mating of a peregrine falcon and a prairie falcon.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 06:19 am
It says in the story that grizzlys and Polars have been bred together in captivity, and the offspring are fertile, but this is the first time one has been found in the wild.
0 Replies