Segregated Proms

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 09:54 pm
Should American kids be permitted to have proms, which are segregated by race?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,432 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 06:03 am
If the proms are hosted by the school, absolutely not. The proms should be for the entire school class. If these are private gatherings, people are entitled to socialize with whom they wish.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 10:27 am
Seems there are strange things going on in the state of Georgia. The white kids had their prom and the black kids had their prom.
It's been more than 40 years since the Civil Rights movement, and Georgia has been trying to integrate everything , so how does one now explain the attitudes of today's high school kids.

By the way, the high schools are integrated about 50/50, so that's not the issue. The reporter asked one kid what he thought the problem was. The kid said that he thought the parents wanted segregated proms to discourage inter-racial dating. Basically, the parents might be the ones behind pushing for the segregated proms.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 11:37 am
Bring the time machine back to the XXI Century!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 01:54 pm
Hurry!
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 02:28 pm
I don't know about the USA but I'd say no segregation. If it were tried or even merely suggessted here the UK heads would roll faster than an avalanche. Mixed marriages and relationships are very common here these days and hardly anyone bats an eyelid.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 02:30 pm
New Haven, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the parents were responsible. Racism is alive and well in the US.
I wonder what it will be when we are all a shade of brown? Human nature being what it is, I'm sure people will find something to feel superior about.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 02:38 pm
Diane wrote:
New Haven, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the parents were responsible. Racism is alive and well in the US.
I wonder what it will be when we are all a shade of brown? Human nature being what it is, I'm sure people will find something to feel superior about.

I agree!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 02:40 pm
Diane we already are just various shades of brown, some people just refuse to look in the mirror.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 02:54 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Diane we already are just various shades of brown, some people just refuse to look in the mirror.

I look fairly good with a summer tan.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 03:18 pm
IMO, these separate proms are excessive and unnecessary casus belli. I am also very unsure whether such a thing is constitutional (granted, the prom is being hosted by school and not by some private club or household).
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 04:27 pm
Constitutional?
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 04:30 pm
Is not racial segregation prohibited in the USA?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 04:58 pm
Steissed- De jure segregation is outlawed in the US. De facto segregation is quite common. People tend to live in neighborhoods with similar racial and/or ethnic makeup. People tend to socialize with people of similar backgrounds.

I once did an internship for my degree in a high school. There were three predominant groups in that school- upper middle class, working class ethnic people, and African American students. Just observing, it seemed like there were three different schools. The white kids had their hangouts, where no blacks came. The black kids had taken a lounge and made it their own, with pictures of black heroes on the walls. The same thing happened in the lunchroom. Each group knew where to congregate, and no one mixed.

I think that some of the differences might have had to do with social class, rather than race. Amongst the upper middle class kids, competition was fierce for admission to top colleges. Seems like they all wanted to be doctors or lawyers.

The working class kids were more interested in getting out of school, and getting a job. I am not really sure what the motivation of the black kids were, but they did have their racial heritage as a common thread that kept them together.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 05:13 pm
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 06:21 pm
Integration can't be forced, it has to persuaded by education and achievement thru professional skills. Only that way can cultures unite and people blend together and have understanding of each others needs.
Equality of opportunity should be in place for everyone, so that they can prove their worth. Bigotry in any shape or form is evil.
We have race problems in parts of the UK but by and large things are ok, not perfect . The vast changes and greater tolerance of the last 10 - 15 years is quite noticeable, with greater integration, mixed marriages and reationships. We now have a greater spread of many races and religions throughout the UK. Immigration tho has to be handle carefully if we are to retain the improvements we have made.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 06:29 pm
steissd- I agree, and I have already said so. I think that segregated proms sponsored by the schools themselves are an abomination, and most certainly illegal.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 07:35 pm
Steissd, when desegregation began in the 60's, many southern towns started private schools to avoid having to send their children to integrated schools. It appears that is what is happening in Georgia. Some of the students are having a private party to which only 'certain' people will be invited.
The ugliness continues. There have been many positive changes, but there is such a long way to go before there is any real equality in this country. As you know from other threads, this is a hot issue with so many different attitudes that it is almost not worth the effort to become involved with the posts; instead, what really makes a difference is to continue the work of ending racism, at least for those of us who are living in the US who can make a difference.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 03:27 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
]People tend to socialize with people of similar backgrounds.[/size]

I once did an internship for my degree in a high school. There were three predominant groups in that school- upper middle class, working class ethnic people, and African American students. Just observing, it seemed like there were three different schools. The white kids had their hangouts, where no blacks came. The black kids had taken a lounge and made it their own, with pictures of black heroes on the walls. The same thing happened in the lunchroom. Each group knew where to congregate, and no one mixed.

I think that some of the differences might have had to do with social class, rather than race. Amongst the upper middle class kids, competition was fierce for admission to top colleges. Seems like they all wanted to be doctors or lawyers.

The working class kids were more interested in getting out of school, and getting a job. I am not really sure what the motivation of the black kids were, but they did have their racial heritage as a common thread that kept them together.[/color]

Freedom of association is a 1st amendment right.
0 Replies