Does one's soul retain free will upon death?

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 06:48 pm
Does an individual's immortal soul retain free will upon the death of the individual's fleshly body on earth?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 820 • Replies: 19
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 07:02 pm
<psssttt>

<first you have to prove that there is a soul and that it has free will>

<THEN we can talk about what happens to it when we die>
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 07:27 pm
hmmm....I love this question....food for thought.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 07:30 pm
Quote:
KING HUSSEIN OF JORDAN: "Leap of Faith," Queen Noor, Miramax Books, Hyperion, New York, NY, pp 235-236. For a book review of this amazing humanitarian book click here

He also had an episode of arrhythmia, a condition he had lived with since the 1970s, which required him to take anticoagulants to thin his blood. While his arrhythmia was not life-threatening, the medication was.

It nearly killed him in January 1984. I was in Aqaba with official guests waiting for Hussein to join us from Amman when I received an emergency phone call informing me that my husband was critically ill. I immediately flew back to Amman to find that Hussein had very nearly bled to death. He had been walking from the Diwan to Al Nadwa with his brother, Crown Prince Hassan, when he had suddenly developed a nosebleed. Because of the anticoagulants, the nosebleed had quickly turned into a full-blown hemorrhage. His doctor arrived quickly, but Hussein's face was already the color of chalk. When he lost consciousness the palace physician could find no pulse. My husband was, for all intent and purposes, dead.

He was stable when I arrived, having been revived after receiving several transfusions. "I felt no pain, no fear, no worries," he said to me later. "I was a free spirit, floating above my own body. It was rather a pleasant feeling, really." He described what is frequently referred to as a near-death experience: He saw a "bright light," felt "relaxed," and realized he was "going." "I must get back," he kept telling himself. "I must get back." And with the immediate medical care he received, he did.

SOURCE
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 12:20 am
Yeah, like Boomer said...what soul?
0 Replies

Ethmer

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 04:13 am

Yes!

IMHO, the soul goes to an awareness/experience outside of the earth plane and considers the benefits and losses it achieved during that and previous incarnations. It then decides what it wants to experience in its next incarnation and what conditions will be relevant. When those circumstances are met it then incarnates back into the earth plane.

Ultimately, when it has accomplished the goals that it set for itself, it eventually gravitates back into the Oneness of God.

0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 07:23 am
Chai Tea wrote:
hmmm....I love this question....food for thought.

Thinking about this last night as I fell asleep.

Yes, I think the soul has free will now, and retains this free will after it leaves the body.

I don't see how the soul would loss that ability just because it's no longer encapsulated.
0 Replies

jin kazama

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 04:14 pm
Eorl wrote:
Yeah, like Boomer said...what soul?

Maybe soul isn't the right word but I couldn't think of any other word
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 04:27 pm
Boomerang,

There is such a thing as a hypothesis you know... Quite valid, really.
If it couldn't be used, almost each and every post in the spirituality and religion section could be countered with a :"First, proof that there is a <soul/god/heaven/devil/gobbledygook>"
This sounds much like applying science to religion. Talk about an exercise in futility.

Sooo, assuming then that a soul exists and has something called Free Will...
My answer is that it might be even MORE free when it is not bound by a body and the laws that govern its continued existence. (breathe, eat, drink, sleep, and all else).

Interesting topic.
Naj
0 Replies

jin kazama

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 04:32 pm
I'm suprised nobody has suggested that the soul might not survive without a body or cease to exist upon death
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 05:06 pm
jin_kazama wrote:
I'm suprised nobody has suggested that the soul might not survive without a body or cease to exist upon death

In your first post here, you did say immortal soul.
0 Replies

jin kazama

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 06:16 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
jin_kazama wrote:

In your first post here, you did say immortal soul.

whoops Embarrassed
0 Replies

jin kazama

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 06:21 pm
Heres something else to ponder about..... the concept/idea of thought/thinking and desire in our world could be entirely different than that of another. These things might not be in a nontemporal realm(s).
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 06:40 pm
It is possible to imagine anything. Determining what IS seems to be the tricky part.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 08:33 pm
jin_kazama wrote:
Exactly the bible's view:

"His spirit goes out, he goes back to his ground;
In that day his thoughts do perish." (Psalm 146:4)

"Behold, all souls are mine; the soul of the father as well as the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sins shall die." (Ezekiel 18:4)
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 09:21 pm
I don't think the Bible knows a whole hell of a lot about souls.

It doesn't know anything about science or God, unless you want to believe in a God that behaves like a human murder machine.
0 Replies

peace

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 09:09 pm
I think the objections to the question stem from the built in assumptions it asks one to accept. Specifically, asking if the soul "retains free will". It's hard to answer the question without first speculating on free will at all, which the questioner did not address. I think this is indicative of one line questions.

But then it can just be a conversation starter. Smile

So, to continue...

It might be helpful to ask if there can be free will without a soul. And perhaps answer the question: what is a soul (and what is free will)? I tend to find that when people speak of "soul" or "spirit" they are generally providing a metaphor for things they can't explain, or that they believe to be outside the laws of the physical Universe (which I don't believe to be possible). The soul is something of an inner God, if God is used to explain the unexplainable. Attributing free will to the mysterious unknown seems to satisfy the need for an answer. But it is really just accepting that you don't care enough to really think it through. Thats why these types of conversations can go round and round. The truth has gravity, but it can be a hard landing. Easier to just enter orbit.

Kind Regards
0 Replies

Ethmer

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 11:07 am
peace wrote:
I tend to find that when people speak of "soul" or "spirit" they are generally providing a metaphor for things they can't explain, or that they believe to be outside the laws of the physical Universe (which I don't believe to be possible).

Why don't you believe it to be possible? The "Big Bang" originated Outside of the Universe and outside of its laws. If it is possible that the Universe came into being from without, then it is also possible that souls/spirits came into being from outside the Universe.

0 Replies

peace

Reply Sat 13 May, 2006 11:18 am
Ethmer wrote:
peace wrote:
I tend to find that when people speak of "soul" or "spirit" they are generally providing a metaphor for things they can't explain, or that they believe to be outside the laws of the physical Universe (which I don't believe to be possible).

Why don't you believe it to be possible? The "Big Bang" originated Outside of the Universe and outside of its laws. If it is possible that the Universe came into being from without, then it is also possible that souls/spirits came into being from outside the Universe.

The Big Bang is just the point where all of our known physics break down and ceases to work. With new physics and new math we will be able to calculate and predict events on the other side of a big bang. Or not. We are only human after all Smile.

-peace
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 14 May, 2006 07:06 pm
Ethmer wrote:
peace wrote:

Ethmer, what is this "outside" you refer to? All of space and time is thought to have begun with the big bang. Are you saying that there was a "before" and a "somewhere else"? Why would you think that, and draw other conclusions from that?
0 Replies