Webcam records birth of B.C. eagle chick

Reyn

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 12:39 am
Have you heard about this webcam? Watch eagles being born. The website is here:

Eagle Webcam

Webcam records birth of B.C. eagle chick

A baby eagle chick broke out of its tiny shell Friday afternoon -- an event anticipated by millions of fascinated bird lovers who log on to a website devoted to a single bald eagle nest.

The eagle started pecking its way out of its protective eggshell at about 1:35 p.m. PT. A second egg had yet to hatch, but was expected to crack within hours.

Doug Carrick and his wife -- whose backyard has hosted a pair of nesting eagle for 17 years -- and whoever else was watching over the Internet, saw the tiny head of the chick reach daylight as it broke through its shell.

Sheila Carrick said she saw a "fluffy head sticking out," and that the mother and father eagles were changing positions in their nest.

"(The mother) just sat down on the egg again, so we can't see anything now.''

It took 38 days for the first egg to hatch, she said.

Last month, Doug Carrick, a 73-year-old retired accountant and avid bird watcher, set up a hidden webcam, now known as the 'eagle eye cam,' above the nest in Hornby Island, B.C.

And it's estimated the results of his online nature experiment have generated at least 100 million hits worldwide.

"It grew steadily," webmaster Edward Klunn told CTV News Vancouver.

"Every day we were increasing by 100 per cent ... to the point where our webservers were seeing 4 million to 6 million page loads a day, which is insane."

While the site has had high traffic since it launched on March 27, the spike in the sheer number of visitors over the last few days has almost overloaded the server.

Carrick has had to post a request asking visitors to shut down their Internet browser when they are not watching the nest.

The site uses a special encoder that transmits clear, seamless images that offer a unique insight into the nesting behaviour of eagles. The webcam itself is encased in wood and Plexiglas, and is mounted just a few inches from the nest.

"It's astounding. I've got the camera up so close to them. It's right on them. You can feel their personalities," Carrick said.

The pair of birds share parenting duties on shifts. One will hunt while the other sits on the eggs and tidies the nest. The two birds change shifts with what has been called 'an almost military-like precision.'

The website is dedicated to Benn Kramer, a resident of Hornby Island who died in an accident last year.

Kramer studied and photographed eagles on the island for seven years. He was also autistic, and taking images of eaglets hatching -- just as the website showed Friday -- helped him deal with his disorder.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,904 • Replies: 62
No top replies

Letty

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 08:24 am
Really want to watch, Reyn, but I am no ornithologist. <smile>
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 08:40 am
Sorry, B.C. My P.C. is no ornithologist either. I would love to have watched it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 08:47 am
The screen stays black, reyn. I can't watch no eagles when they aren't there.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 11:58 am
It comes and goes. Apparently, the site is getting mega hits. Sometimes it means coming back a few times.

So far, I've seen one eagle in the nest (sitting on the egg, I presume).
0 Replies

username

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 12:14 pm
Damn! That is AWESOME! It does take several tries to get thru and it may freeze, probably due to the overload, but boy, there's momma eagle (or maybe poppa, who can tell, since they seem to share) on the nest, and wow is s/he fierce looking, the wind blows the headfeathers around, and you can tell s/he's not gonna let anybody mess with that chick. Thanks, Reyn.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 12:44 pm
Thanks! Yeah, you're right, you have to be persistent in trying.

I heard about it on the late night news last night. I got through right away and was thrilled.

This morning I had little trouble as well.

I can't wait to see the young one.
0 Replies

username

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 12:51 pm
When I saw the topic, I thought it was some sort of sex scandal involving a Boston College team--they're the Eagles--kinda like the Duke story--took clicking on it to realize it was in fact a bird in British Columbia.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 12:53 pm
In the meantime, while you wait to access the eagle webcam, here's a heartening story I found today. I couldn't believe when I heard of this case some months back. At least there's been some resolution now.

Charges laid in bald eagle poaching case
Apr, 29 2006 - 11:20 AM

NORTH VANCOUVER/CKNW(AM980) - Eleven men have been charged with more than one hundred counts of killing and poaching bald eagle parts.

The charges follow a year long investigation after the mutilated eagle carcasses were found on the North Shore.

A break in the case came when two Ontario men were caught trying to move eagle parts across the border.

RCMP say more than 150 tips came in since the eagle remains were discovered last February.

Police say more charges against more suspects are expected.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 12:54 pm
username wrote:
When I saw the topic, I thought it was some sort of sex scandal involving a Boston College team--they're the Eagles--kinda like the Duke story--took clicking on it to realize it was in fact a bird in British Columbia.

Yup, it's in my general area of British Columbia.
0 Replies

username

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 02:20 pm
Are there bird watchers amongst us? Do momma and poppa eagle look alike, or is there some sexual differentiation so we know who's sitting on the nest?
0 Replies

username

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 02:23 pm
Whoa, just saw the parent standing up and moving the eggs into a new position and settling back down on them--then the network connection failed and it dumped me--didn't see the chicklet tho. This is great.
0 Replies

username

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 02:26 pm
then I reconnected and got a half-second glimpse of the parent looking extremely proud and it dumped me again--half the world must be trying to watch BC this afternoon.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 02:34 pm
I saw the article in the Winnipeg paper this morning and have been trying to access the site off and on since then. I got one 10-second look of a parent sitting on the nest before the screen froze.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 03:06 pm
It's very much a trial and error thing. The popularity of this event has made it a little difficult. I'm going to try late tonight when things die down a bit.

Some smart entrepreneur type should set up a series of these webcams in zoos and other places. Bet it would be a money-maker.
0 Replies

username

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 03:08 pm
Will you still remember all your old friends here on a2k when birdcam.com has made you your second billion, Reyn?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 03:13 pm
Laughing I'm not a smart entrepreneur! I'll leave that up to someone else.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 03:24 pm
Walter Hinteler posted a Stork Nest way back in the days of Abuzz, and I think he's reposted it on A2K, too. So far, this year, there've not been any eggs laid, but it's a good site.

There's also a live bird cam at 55 Water St., in NYC, that was posted here a couple of years ago and reposted this year. I can't remember who posted it, but the Peregrine Falcons are here.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 03:48 pm
Exclamation It was Joe Nation who posted the Pregrine Falcon webcam site.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 03:52 pm
I seen it. 4:52 PM Central Standard time.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Webcam records birth of B.C. eagle chick
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/16/2024 at 07:26:13