Sweden, Israel quarrel over military exercise pull-out

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 10:18 am

Thu Apr 27, 2:45 PM ET

STOCKHOLM (AFP) - Sweden and Israel were locked in a diplomatic row after the Scandinavian country pulled out of a military exercise because the Israelis were taking part.

The Swedish foreign ministry said on Wednesday that the Spring Flag air exercises in Sardinia on May 8-25 "have been organised for peacekeeping operations and we don't want to take part because of Israel's participation".

Continue to read:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060427/wl_mideast_afp/swedenisraelmilitary_060427184523
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 861 • Replies: 11
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 10:34 am
Re: Sweden, Israel quarrel over military exercise pull-out
Solve et Coagula wrote:

Thu Apr 27, 2:45 PM ET

STOCKHOLM (AFP) - Sweden and Israel were locked in a diplomatic row after the Scandinavian country pulled out of a military exercise because the Israelis were taking part.

The Swedish foreign ministry said on Wednesday that the Spring Flag air exercises in Sardinia on May 8-25 "have been organised for peacekeeping operations and we don't want to take part because of Israel's participation".

Continue to read:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060427/wl_mideast_afp/swedenisraelmilitary_060427184523

Why should anyone in America care about this?

You should post this in INTERNATIONAL NEWS. Also, it doesn not appear there is a "quarrel" with Isreal. Just seems to me Sweden does not like the Jews. Why is that?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 10:40 am
Yes, that must be it. Swedes hate Jews. It follows as night doth the day...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 10:57 am
My cousin W___ is both Swedish and Jewish. Should I put him on a suicide watch?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 10:59 am
So, he's a self-hating Swede?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 11:01 am
I dunno, when I met him he seemed pretty well-adjusted.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 11:02 am
This conflict was probably smoldering just beneath his outwardly calm surface.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 11:13 am
That must've been it. Hang on, I'll call him in Stockholm and check.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 11:19 am
Swedes are really aryans in disguise. All that blond hair and all those blue eyes. No wonder they backed out.

I mean just look at them!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/56/Playboy_January_1992.jpg/180px-Playboy_January_1992.jpg

Total anti-semites.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 01:00 pm
I am part Jewish by birth, as my mother was Jewish. My father was Catholic, and I was brought up in neither faith. As an adult, I am atheist. I oppose the Israeli government's policies in the occupied territories. I will not buy Israeli products until there is justice for the Palestinians. I support the Swedish action.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 09:18 pm
This whole problem is the intrusion of religion into politics. We are back to the Middle Ages again.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 06:13 am
The affair had nothing to do with anti-semitism. The Swedes have very strict foreign political guidelines (for example applied to arms trade etc.) They believed that the exercise was a peace keeping exercise, but Israel is a state not belonging to the Partnership for Peace, and with which Sweden did not previously have bilateral military co-operation and which does not take part in international peacekeeping missions. Thus the Swedes considered that their participation in the exercise was not warranted.
0 Replies