Meet Auzzie

margo

Reply Sun 30 Apr, 2006 09:35 pm
Well - I didn't know there was such a breed as an Australian Shepherd - perhaps we just don't have them where I am in inner suburban Sydney. Not too many sheep around - although some mimicing sheep behaviour.

My experience of sheep dogs is that they are some sort of kelpie cross, possibly with a Shepherd of some sort - and I guess that's sort of what he looks like.

Cute though!
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 11:39 am
You didn't know the breed, margo? That's interesting. Australian sheep dogs and cattle dogs are pretty well known in Germany. Maybe they are bred only outside of Australia! Very Happy
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 05:44 am
They are HUGE in the states for working cattle and horse ranches. (or were when I was growing up)

We had many. Favorite, longest living was Booker T Bueford the Third. We just called him Booker. Smart as a tack. Could say most anything and he would respond. He had two baby blue eyes, which scared the bejeesus outta anyone arriving after dark and not expecting him to come from the side of the house.

Congrats on a real cutie, KitKat. Did you say 'miniature?" I didn't know they had made a miniature breed.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 06:11 am
I'm with the aussies here who aren't dadpad - I'd never heard of them - and this excerpt form http://www.australianshepherds.org/ explains why:

Quote:
BREED HISTORY

While there are many theories as to the origin of the Australian Shepherd, the breed as we know it today developed exclusively in the United States. The Australian Shepherd was given its name because of their association with the Basque sheepherders who came to the United States from Australia in the 1800's. The Aussie rose rapidly in popularity with the boom of western riding after World War II, becoming known to the general public via rodeos, horse shows, movies and television. Their inherent versatility and trainability made them useful on American farms and ranches. The American stockmen continued the development of the breed, maintaining the versatility, keen intelligence, strong herding instinct and eye-catching appearance.

Australian Shepherds have been registered by various registries since the early 1950's. In 1990, the United States Australian Shepherd Association was established as the parent club of the Australian Shepherd representing the breed to the American Kennel Club. On September 1, 1991, the AKC recognized the Australian Shepherd breed and on January 1, 1993, accepted them into the Herding Group.

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 06:14 am
And kitkat says he's a miniature - if he's true to the big breed that cat's in for a hard time.

Should have given him a good aussie name - like 'Bruce', 'Phar Lap' or 'Kylie'.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 06:25 am
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 06:32 am
Call him Sydney. I would.

Syd the shepherd.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 06:39 am
The bride suggests Deefa. ................you figure it out
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 07:05 am
Or call it 'Piss Off' (euphemism) so that when you call it confusion reigns:

"COME HERE PISS OFF!"
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 07:52 am
Hingehead

You're an asset to society - or something!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 07:58 am
Kylie is an Aussie name?

That's our middle cubettes name.

I thought it was Irish - from Kyle. She'll like the Aussie connection even more, unless she finds out she's sharing the name with a dog. Laughing
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 08:04 am
Kylie Minogue aka the singing budgie.

http://www.abc.com.au/rage/guest/2002/kylie.htm

Very Uncool at present.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 04:20 pm
margo wrote:
Hingehead

First three letters were looking good and then the latin 'and' confused it all.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 08:45 pm
hingehead wrote:
margo wrote:
Hingehead

First three letters were looking good and then the latin 'and' confused it all.

Jeez - I'm multi-lingual! Wow! oi!
0 Replies