O.J. Simpson Fails to Show up for Hearing/Manatees

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 06:45 am
O.J. Simpson failed to show up for a hearing that his boat produced a wake in a "Manatee zone"

http://www.miami.com/mld/miami/news/local/4461164.htm

You might wonder why I have placed this discussion in the Wilderness/Wildlife, and Ecology Section. The reason is the manatee.

The Manatee, or sea cow, is one of the wonders of Florida. They are adorable animals, sweet and friendly. I have read that it may have been the manatee that sailors thought were mermaids. Each year, manatees are found with horrible cuts and bruises on their bodies. The cuts and bruises are caused by power boats, who blast through the areas of the water where manatees congregate.

Manatees have washed onshore, dead from the damage done by power boats. So if you are vacationing in Florida this winter, and spend a day out on the water, please be considerate of the manatee, and s-l-o-w down in Manatee zones.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,161 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 06:53 am
Here are some pictures of the (not so) little critter!

http://www.geocities.com/oceancentral/imagegalleries/manatees/thumbnailpages/
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 08:32 am
So ugly they're handsome.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 08:23 pm
I heard about the O.J. connection on the radio and wondered why anyone would have thought he might have even the slightest concern for the manatees.

It has been my personal experience that the great majority of boaters are good folks -- but, as with any group, there are also many, many obnoxious types among them, too, and most of them are on personal watercraft!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 10:36 pm
OJ is pure slime, and will eventually get himself caught and waste away the rest of his days in prison. I just hope that nobody else has to die (human or otherwise) for that to happen.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 8 Nov, 2002 06:54 am
sozobe- How right you are. O.J. apparently has no compassion, for either man, woman or beast!
0 Replies