1001 ways to regain serenity & quieten a frazzled mind.

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 07:18 pm
.... just little, everyday ways, that's what I mean. Nothing major or earth-shattering. Nothing big .....

For a few weeks now I've been in high stress mode. Just the usual things, I guess .... the challenges of life & all the jangly, frazzlely stuff that comes with the package. And thinking too much! Absolutely!

Anyway, I have been consciously thinking of ways to calm, quieten, reduce all that hyper busy-ness in my brain. I need to.

For starters, I've spontaneously switched off politics (a bit of an obsession, I'm afraid!) for a while .... so instead of having the sound of all that serious, demanding talk on ABC radio, this morning my background sound is soothing Bach. (Would you believe I actually bought 3 of those "chill" CDs? Surprised Very Happy One is Bach, another is Gregorian chants .... Aaaaaaaaaaah!)

I've also taken to avoiding "friends in need", who suck you dry. With one, in particular, I was starting to feel like an unpaid councillor, on constant call for 3 hour phone "sessions". I just can't do that right now.

I'm getting pleasure from the smallest of smallest things .... like the sights, smells & sounds in my very private little backyard garden. Today is a public holiday here & we've been blessed with an exquisite morning. Gentle sunshine & complete absence of wind. It's just perfect. I been walking around my garden, cup of tea in hand & cat in tow, dead-heading spent flowers & taking note of new growth, small developments ...

Oh & I'm avoiding anger & conflict like the plague! A bit of a tall order, considering my line of work! Sad But I'm trying ....

So, anyway, how do you go about restoring a bit of serenity & balance in a busy, demanding life?

What does it for you? Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,449 • Replies: 74
No top replies

Eva

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 07:25 pm
You mean, besides good wine and chocolate?

Well, there's always the whirlpool tub.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 07:27 pm
oh msolga, I'm very happy for you, really.

I suppose there's something to be said for striving, goals, never being satisfied and always working toward more, but I don't personally have anything to say for any of that.

There come's a time, if you're lucky, when you realize what you have and what you are doing is Enough.....that's Enough with a capital E.

The closer my wants and my actual needs are, the happier I am.

I just ate a bowl of chocolate pudding my husband made, it was still warm.

At this second, how could I possibly dream of having more?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 07:30 pm
Eva! Surprised

What a coincidence!
As you were typing, I was reading this beautiful poem you sent to Asherman & his wife. And deciding to post it here.

Beautiful!:

This is a very beautiful traditional Buddhist prayer for healing:

Just as the soft rains fill the streams,
pour into the rivers, and join together in the oceans,
so may the power of every moment of your goodness
flow forth to awaken and heal all beings--
those here now, those gone before, those yet to come.

By the power of every moment of your goodness,
may your heart's wishes be soon fulfilled
as completely shining as the bright full moon,
as magically as by a wish-fulfilling gem.

By the power of every moment of your goodness,
may all dangers be averted and all disease be gone.
May no obstacle come across your way.
May you enjoy fulfillment and long life.

For all in whose heart dwells respect,
who follow the wisdom and compassion, of the Way,
may your life prosper in the four blessings
of old age, beauty, happiness and strength.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 07:31 pm
Hi msolga, It's been my observation from personal experience that these stages of stress comes and goes at "their" will, and we are helpless change those cycles.

One would think that I should have none, because I've been retired since 1998, and most of my activities have been to satisfy my own desires most of the time. We have no money or health worries, so that should cover 99 percent of any stress.

It's true that those stress moments are fewer as the years go by, but they're not completely eradicated. I think chemicals in our brain does funny things to us whether we like it or not.

I keep myself busy on a2k most of the time, and do other things on the computer outside of a2k. Some of the topics on a2k used to upset me, but have learned over time to not take things too seriously. That has helped reduce my stress and anger.

I think you're doing the right thing by listening to music that you enjoy. My music listening days on my hi fi are long gone, but I still have tapes and CDs of the music I love that sits idle. I must get back to them.

Training oneself to handle stress is difficult but achievable. Age and retirement also helps. Keep your chin up; all bad things pass.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 07:37 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
oh msolga, I'm very happy for you, really.

I suppose there's something to be said for striving, goals, never being satisfied and always working toward more, but I don't personally have anything to say for any of that.

There come's a time, if you're lucky, when you realize what you have and what you are doing is Enough.....that's Enough with a capital E.

The closer my wants and my actual needs are, the happier I am.

I just ate a bowl of chocolate pudding my husband made, it was still warm.

At this second, how could I possibly dream of having more?

Good morning, Chai. Very Happy

Striving for goals, having burning ambition for advancement has never, ever been my thing! Could have done with a bit more of that, actually. :wink:

Nah, it's serenity I want. A lot! Very Happy

I like the idea of life being beautiful, harmonious. Not very practical, am I? Laughing

You sound very calm & contented, I must say. Nice way to live a life!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 07:40 pm
Chai, I just called you cypher! It was that avatar that caused the confusion!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 07:47 pm
When I get home from a stressful day, my wife and I sit quietly for a time and have coffee. I play with the dogs. After a few hours, I feel mellow, the bleeping job forgotten. It lastes into the next morning.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 07:53 pm
Morning, c.i. ! Very Happy

Yep, I think you're right in this:

"It's been my observation from personal experience that these stages of stress comes and goes at "their" will, and we are helpless change those cycles."

Just quietly managing it seems the best I can do with the situation. Not a time for major life-changing decisions, of that I'm certain!

But why does it knock one side-ways, each time, hmmmmm?

It would certainly help matters if I was as financially comfortable as you are. A lot more certainty on a day-to-day level, certainly, but never mind that. You're in the position you're in because of sensible decisions earlier in your life. You deserve a good retirement. I wasn't nearly as sensible, I'm afraid. But I don't really have regrets about that. What's the point of regrets? It's simply who I was at the time! A reckless woman! :wink:
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 07:55 pm
It was boomerang that posted the Buddhist prayer. I just commented on how lovely it was.

Re: Destressing...

An hour massage usually does the trick. If not, it's back to the wine, chocolate and whirlpool. Repeat as necessary.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 07:56 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
When I get home from a stressful day, my wife and I sit quietly for a time and have coffee. I play with the dogs. After a few hours, I feel mellow, the bleeping job forgotten. It lastes into the next morning.

Much the same here, edgar .... just substitute the coffee for a glass of wine or two, the dogs with a cat ...... And sometimes dreams of running away! :wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 07:59 pm
Ah, well thank you then, boomerang! Sorry for the confusion.

A massage, Eva? Hmmmmmmm ....

" ... If not, it's back to the wine, chocolate and whirlpool. Repeat as necessary."

Very Happy I do like you practical approach!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 08:01 pm
Philosophy is great, but not very calming. Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 08:01 pm
We dream of travel, but so far, no plans.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 08:03 pm
Eva wrote:
Philosophy is great, but not very calming. Laughing

I've noticed this, Eva! Laughing

Sometimes I suspect I'll end up in an ashram , or something .... I have these tendencis, you see ..... :wink:
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 08:04 pm
"The clearest sign of wisdom is continued cheerfulness." Michel de Montaigne
1533-1592, Essayist
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 08:05 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
We dream of travel, but so far, no plans.

Yes, travel! ..... to some entirely different place, a different culture. Yes!
I should start saving, too.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 08:05 pm
Your quote reminds me of the Dalai Lama, c.i.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 08:07 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
"The clearest sign of wisdom is continued cheerfulness." Michel de Montaigne
1533-1592, Essayist

Working on that, c.i.! :wink:
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 08:20 pm
mmmyaaah. I love threads like this. I too am a serenity lover.
I think Chai and I may be sisters. lol. There is nothing better in the world than being left alone to simple things.

I like to go for long lazy walks. Look at the trees, casual chat with those walking their dogs, climb up a hill, maybe stop for a coffee. No direction, just rambling.

Baths with oils, powders, all the frills. Just taking an hour or so bathing, buffing my feet, applying lotion. If you add a partner and a bottle of wine; that's good too.

Lately I have been working at expressing my feelings more often, and that is helping a lot. Less anger, less worry and obsession, less arguing. Holding stuff in is a good way to destroy my peace.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » 1001 ways to regain serenity & quieten a frazzled mind.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 12:17:30