Religious Education in Schools

hingehead

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 08:42 pm
At public primary school in Sydney, Australia, we had 'scripture' on thursday mornings. I'd never been christened and my family weren't church goers. I had to choose what I was (at age 7) and picked presbyterian 'coz it sounded funny. Mostly I sat at the back and drew helicopters with teeth with a mate. The 'teacher' was a local father - don't know who paid him or if he got paid at all.

By high school it was still offered, first period thursday, but completely voluntary. I volunteered to play handball.

Great to see QLD implementing this. I am curious about the assignation of 'apolitical' - I don't think I would call religion 'apolitical', why should a non-theological system of beliefs be 'non-politcal', and how do you decide if it is?

At what age does the child's desire outweigh the parent's?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 09:36 pm
Quote:
Mathematics Position
Independent School
Catholic Ethos
Available for Terms 2 & 3
This top independent boys college is looking to employ a mathematics teacher who has proven NSW syllabus knowledge and able to teach up to year 12. An advantage if you are able to teach Religious Education as well.

This is for a Catholic private school. I'm still looking into the public system.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 06:34 am
Eorl wrote:
I really don't know Set. I was assuming the job was a voluntary thing - one hour, once per week, local church Sunday School teacher kinda thing. I'll look into it and get back to you. Do you know how it works in the States?

Yes, it's very simple. There may be no religious education in a public school at anyone's expense. Additionally, the courts routinely find that any prayer or other particularist religious activity is discriminatory and violates the no establishment clause of the first amendment to the Constitution.

That amendment reads:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

No religion on the taxpayers dime . . .
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 07:53 am
Children should have exposure to a variety of religous belief system. Hinu, Buhdist, church of spagetti and meatballs, muslim, christian, jewish, orange people.
My main problem with religous education is on going instruction.

Exposure and education is one thing indoctrination and instruction over a number of years is a concern.

I would agree for a rabbi, mullah or other "priest" or religouse figure head to visit and talk about their religon and tell my kids why its the best/only religion . By the time 2 or 3 of them have been my kids will be laughing themselves silly. ( or drawing helicopters with teeth up the back)

My sons school sent home a note to say so and so would provide religouse education. We opted out, because the instruction appeared to indicate a long term aspect.

Schools need to providesome meaningfull alternative for those who do "opt out" Not just "spend an hour in the library"
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 08:54 am
Some very good questions from Hinge, there . . . anyone know if Queensland will have some answers?
0 Replies

ffydownunder

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 10:12 am
queensland has all the answers......

(but are they sensible answers is another question)

i had a wonderful RE teacher at school (in scotland)... taught us basic facts about loads of religions, xtian, buddhist, jewish, hindu, islam, zoros, rasta, taoism, jainsim..... covered the main ideas of all of them... the man was a legend, and for a non denominational school it had a surprising amount of kids wanting to do RE as an exam subject!
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 08:52 pm
I think I like your system better Set, although I like the idea of teaching kids about religion (providing it's from my perspective of course !!! )

For those who are keen you scroll to page 24 of this education dept. pdf:
http://education.qld.gov.au/review/pdfs/explanatory.pdf
for an explanation of the new laws.

It seems that interested parties (ie churches) apply to have programs (that the churches develop and provide) accepted by the schools for a maximum of 40 hours per year. They are accepted by meeting criteria that include "demand" by parents.
0 Replies