The Wildclickers Trivia thread (# 70)

Stradee

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 12:09 pm
The Kittens Are Next ...
Global warming is bad news for baby walruses

It seems global warming is now separating babies from their mothers. Heartless bastard. The cute and bristly walrus makes its home on Arctic ice shelves, which are melting rapidly as unusually warm water flows in from the Bering Sea. As their happy walrus home melts and collapses, baby walruses can be separated from their mothers and swim out into deep waters, where they -- sniff -- drown. In the space of two months in 2004, a Coast Guard ship came across nine walrus calves swimming alone, a highly unusual sight. "[T]he calves would be swimming around us crying. We couldn't rescue them," says a member of the research team. Hear that? That's our heart breaking. Sea-ice melt also causes trouble for adult walruses, who find food by diving off of ice shelves into shallow waters. The conclusion of researchers: if the walruses (walri?) can't adapt to melting sea ice, we may see fewer of them in the future. And that could mean no more goo goo g'joob.

straight to the source: The Washington Post, Marc Kaufman, 15 Apr 2006
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/14/AR2006041401368.html
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 12:32 pm
I wonder why the 4000 people live on the rim of Lake Taal. It must be good fishing, or something, for them to live that close to a volcano. Either that, or a very fatalistic view of life.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 12:33 pm
I saw the news on the budget passage. Now let's see about the Senate.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 12:53 pm
Amigo wrote:
AMERICANA!!!!

Q:The bed in which George Washington died, as well as his grave, is at what site?

W/ Special Bonus picture clue!!!!!!!!

http://gwpapers.virginia.edu/education/life/images/slide11.jpg

Answer: His estate, Mount Vernon.

Click, click,click
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 12:58 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Amigo--

Get a small terrarium in perfect balance and then you can start hurling aspersions.
Me?...........perfect balance??? I can't even put my shoes on in balance, let alone perfect balance anything. You win, Know you have to ask a question.

Smarty pants.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 05:54 pm
"We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"

Q = who said that and where?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 07:10 pm
Carlos Montoya as the Mexican bandit in Treasure of Sierra Madre
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 08:12 pm
aktbird57 - You and your 294 friends have supported 2,338,016.0 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 107,879.6 square feet.

American Prairie habitat supported: 50,843.4 square feet.

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,179,293.0 square feet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2338016.0 square feet is equal to 53.67 acres
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 09:12 pm
Hey, Merry Andrew......... Close but not quite. Right character - Gold Hat - in the movie, but the actor was Alfonso Bedoya.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 09:46 pm
Yer right, of course, Danon. That's what I get for trying to be the first in line. Montoya, Bedoya...they do sound alike. That's one of my favorite films, btw. If memory serves, I think it may have been the very first full-length movie I ever saw as a kid. I must have been all of seven or eight when it was playing in the movie houses. And a further btw, that line about the "steekin' badges" is in B. Traven's book, too, from which the script was taken.

Okay, here's a trivia question based on the same movie. There are two father-and-son teams in this film. Who are they?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 09:49 pm
I thought it was from blazing saddles. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 09:56 pm
Q: The Jordanaires and the Blue Moon Boys were backup for what pop idol?
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 11:21 pm
sumac wrote:
I wonder why the 4000 people live on the rim of Lake Taal. It must be good fishing, or something, for them to live that close to a volcano. Either that, or a very fatalistic view of life.

sue, or they're the most optimistic people on the planet.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 12:09 am
Amigo wrote:

Elvis Presley?
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 12:53 am
Where is the largest living tree on earth located?

http://www.scienceandart.com/photogensherman.jpg
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 06:19 am
Northern California. But please don't ask me to be more specific. Yellowstone? Yosemite?
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 06:49 am
The world's tallest living tree is the Stratosphere Giant measuring 112.7 m (370 ft) as of July 2004. This coast redwood (Sequoia sempervirens) was discovered by Chris Atkins (USA) in August 2000 in the Rockefeller Forest of the Humboldt Redwoods State Park, California, USA.
The precise location of the giant tree is always kept secret by the Park Rangers in case enthusiastic tree fans accidentally damage its fragile environment. The second tallest tree living, known as The Federation Giant, measures 112 m (368 ft) and also lives at the Humboldt Redwoods State Park

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/content_pages/record.asp?recordid=47342
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 07:52 am
I clicked today to save square footage of rainforest.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 08:49 am
Answer to my trivia question re: father/son teams in Treasure of Sierra Madre -- The three starring roles in the film are filled by Humphrey Bogart, Tim Holt and Walter Houston. Walter's son, John, directed. And Tim's father, Jack, has a bit part as one of the residents of the homeless shelter where the three protagonists first meet up.

I have clicked.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 09:23 am
Stradee wrote:
Amigo wrote:

Elvis Presley?
You got it ! Smile

Sumac, I thought the biggest tree was "General Sherman" in Sequoia.

Click, click, click Cool
0 Replies