danon5

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 11:06 pm
Amigo,

Next question ?
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 11:43 pm
Great new thread, Amigo! Ya dun good!

We know where George Washington took his last breath, but where is Edisons last breath stored? <yep, someone saved Thomas Alva Edisons last exhale>

Good god!
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 02:30 am
I lost the book of trivia guestions that has the answer to my own trivia question. Laughing I have no idea where Washington died. I have to find the book.

Edison?!?.......Last breath?!?

What have I got myself into??? Very Happy

Answer: Mount Whitney, Calif. San Bernadino County

http://www.idahosummits.com/whitney/images/whitneyfromvalley.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Whitney

Mount Whitney

East Face close-up seen from the way up on Whitney Portal.
Elevation: 14,505 feet (4,421 metres)
Range: Sierra Nevada
Coordinates: 36°34′42.9″N, 118°17′31.2″W
Topo map: USGS Mount Whitney
Type: Granite rock
Age of rock: Cretaceous
First ascent: 1873
Easiest route: hike
Mount Whitney is the highest point in the contiguous United States. It is located at the boundary between California's Inyo and Tulare counties. The western slope of the mountain lies within Sequoia National Park.

Mount Whitney was named after Josiah Whitney, the chief geologist of California. It was first climbed in 1873 by Charles Begole, A. H. Johnson, and John Lucas (fishermen who lived in Lone Pine, California.)

Mount Whitney is less than 90 miles from the lowest point of the United States, in Death Valley, and immediately rises just over 2 miles (~3300 m) in elevation above the floor of the Owens Valley. The Badwater Ultramarathon is a 135 mile (215 km) running race from the bottom of Death Valley and ending at an elevation of 8360 feet (2548 m) at Whitney Portal, the trailhead for Mount Whitney.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 03:03 am
I would have guessed Mt. Vernon, if I hadn't broken down and researched it, but glad that MA got it and Danon filled it in.

So someone answer my question above, and I will post another one.

Where in the World is Matt Lauer?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 03:04 am
ehBeth wrote:
<pssst, did someone ask to have this thread moved to this forum? - looks like someone didn't understand Amigo's plan>

Plan? What plan?? I don't know no plans........no abla engles. Cool
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 03:18 am
Mt. Whitney was in the back of my mind. I should go with my gut.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 03:40 am
sumac wrote:
Mt. Whitney was in the back of my mind. I should go with my gut.
Four site is 20/20 partner.
0 Replies

Joan Lee

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 09:23 am
Hi Everyone!

Clicked and looking forward to this thread. Thanks!

Joan
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 09:29 am
Q - How much rainforest is lost every day?

A - 1.5 Acres per second!

In the infamous words of Lady Bird Johnson "Plant a tree, a bush, or a shrub". Cool

Where is Edisons last breath stored?

A vial containing the air representing Thomas Alva Edison's last exhalation is a prime draw at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Michigan. Originally known as the Edison Institute for Technology in honor of Ford's inventor friend, the museum also includes a slab of concrete with Edison's footprints in addition to more general Americana like antique cars, steam trains, and a McDonald's arch.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 09:32 am
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 09:34 am
What I want to know is how did they know when his last breath was going to occur. Did they park the vial under his nostrils and then yank it away fast?
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 09:40 am
sue, i cannot even imagine the scenerio.

Last tag, Thomas.

yikes
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 09:41 am
sumac wrote:
What I want to know is how did they know when his last breath was going to occur. Did they park the vial under his nostrils and then yank it away fast?

Maybe they shot him after they collected it, just to be sure.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 09:47 am
Where in the world is there an island on a lake on an island on a lake, on an island on an ocean?

Taal Volcano, in the Philippines, has been called the smallest active volcano in the world. It is located about 70-km south of Manila on an island inside a lake called Taal Lake. What makes Taal Volcano more unique is the fact that the volcano itself has a lake of its own inside its crater which is called the "Crater Lake."

http://eos.higp.hawaii.edu/ppages/pinatubo/8.taal/3.jpg
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 09:51 am
I've been to the Ford museaum at Dearborn Village. Must have missed that Edison exhibit, though.

Stradee, this is only a wild guess, but could it be somewhere in the Sandwich Islands aka Hawaii???
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 10:16 am
Fascinating, Stradee. Where in the world did you run across that?

Here is a real odd trivia question.

Q - How can it be said that an octopus has elbows?

http://images.livescience.com/images/060417_octopus_elbows_01.jpg
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 10:18 am
http://images.livescience.com/images/060414_niagra_04.jpg

"In 2004, the Niagara Park Commission became concerned that Canadian high-rise hotels were blocking airflow and helping to create higher, thicker plumes of mist that obscured the view for millions of tourists who visit the Fall each year.

Early experiments conducted by consultants seemed to confirm the hypothesis, but now a team of University of Buffalo geologists say that hotels have nothing to do with it. It's temperature.

Specifically, it's the temperature difference between air and water at the falls. According to the new study, the mist plumes are highest in fall and winter, when water temperature is higher than the air temperature"
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 10:19 am
From an interesting article:

http://freeinternetpress.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=6607

"British Scientists Attack Oil Firms' Role In Huge Arctic Project

Posted on Tuesday, April 18 2006 00:21:43 PDT by Intellpuke
Read 31 times

British scientists are at loggerheads with U.S. colleagues over a controversial plan to work alongside oil companies to hunt for fossil fuel reserves in the Arctic.
The U.S. Geological Survey is lining up a project with BP and Statoil to find oil and gas in the Arctic Ocean, under the auspices of a flagship scientific initiative intended to tackle global warming.

But the head of the British Antarctic Survey, which coordinates U.K. activity at the poles, has said he is "very uncomfortable" with the idea and has questioned its ethical and scientific justification.

Tackling climate change and working out how it will affect the Arctic and Antarctic is a central theme of International Polar Year (IPY) - a high-profile project to start next spring that involves thousands of scientists from 60 countries."
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 10:33 am
Merry, Trivia says its there though. Perhaps they had the jar stored in a safe someplace. The question is why??? Perhaps there's a black market for last breaths? Confused Shocked

More info regarding the Taal Volcano - located about 60 km SSE of Metro Manila, the capital of the Philippines.

http://eos.higp.hawaii.edu/ppages/pinatubo/8.taal/
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 11:00 am
sue, I found the question at a History Trivia page.

Good articles!

AWAR news: the House Budget Committee passed a budget resolution that is free of any provision that would open the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to oil development.

The bad news: House Resolution Budget provides zero funding for states parks and wilderness conservation. Land and Conservation Water Fund decreased by 40% scaling back needed protections for wildlife.

Ya all can write letters or better yet - call your representatives...

TELL your Representative to:
(1) oppose the Budget Resolution (House Conference Resolution 376) because of its deep cuts to environmental spending;
(2) support the "Spratt (D-SC) Alternative," which would restore critical
funding for our health and natural heritage;
(3) oppose any attempts, including the Hensarling (D-TX) Amendment to sneak Arctic drilling into the final House budget bill.
0 Replies