Weed ID!

Noddy24

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 02:12 pm
The first one is wild geranium--and it will take over if given the opportunity. I got a "free" seedling and now have many healthy clumps.

Did you have any trick-or-treat corn in your yard last Halloween?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 02:16 pm
I am loving the wild geranium more the more I read about it. Yay! This native/ wild/ hardy stuff makes me happy happy happy.

Candy corn. Hmm. Don't think so! (Very curious about what this will yield..!)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 02:18 pm
Oh, you didn't say candy corn -- do you mean regular corn?

If so, still no.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 02:24 pm
(The scientific name seems to be Geranium Maculatum.)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 02:40 pm
Also, consider drying the bedstraw and stuffing doll bedding.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 02:42 pm
Idea
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 02:47 pm
I haven't read the whole thread so forgive me if this is irrelevant but, Paul James, a master gardner featured on hgtv says that all weeds are not bad. Some are too attractive to pull up so just leave them. Control them but leave them where they are and treat it like another flower.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 02:51 pm
Yep, definitely.

That's a big part of why I come here for advice, as the local advice is "it's a weed, pull it up," while there are plenty of "weeds" that I like plenty, thankyouverymuch. (So far Virginia bluebells and wild geraniums are leading that pack.)
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 02:52 pm
Noddy24 wrote:

Did you have any trick-or-treat corn in your yard last Halloween?

Aha! Noddy is thinking along the same lines as me with "Maize". I wasn't too sure what you called it out there. We call it sweetcorn.

It doesn't necessarily have to be the leftovers fron Haloween, it could be that you have put some wild bird feed down, as this has corn in it.

Here's what an adult plant looks like........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/1001.shtml
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 02:59 pm
One spring I watched a particularly frisky squirrel deliberately select the corn from the mixed bird seed and plant it in the wild garden. I left his efforts as a conversation piece.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 03:03 pm
Hmm, I'm from Minnesota, I know corn, this doesn't seem like corn to me.

Also, it's everywhere -- it'd have to be an army of enterprising squirrels. It's about as plentiful as the garlic mustard was before I (mostly) got rid of it.

Did you catch the scale note I made? Seems much bigger than it is, actually about 7 inches from the very top to the beginning of the roots.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 03:05 pm
I must have a close relative of his in my garden, Noddy.

My one climbs up our hazelnut tree every day, checking the nuts. He waits, and waits, and waits...until they are just perfect. Then he calls all of his mates, and they strip the tree in a single day, burying most of them in the lawn.
In early spring one year, I had over fifty little nut saplings sprouting up through the grass. Needless to say, the mower took care of them, apart from about ten or so, which I planted in my nearby woods.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 03:07 pm
sozobe wrote:
Hmm, I'm from Minnesota, I know corn, this doesn't seem like corn to me.

Also, it's everywhere -- it'd have to be an army of enterprising squirrels. It's about as plentiful as the garlic mustard was before I (mostly) got rid of it.

Did you catch the scale note I made? Seems much bigger than it is, actually about 7 inches from the very top to the beginning of the roots.

There are no signs of little sprays of white flowers starting to show, are there?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 03:08 pm
Not yet, seems like whatever it is is pretty early on in its lifecycle...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 03:49 pm
Towards the end of the week when the weather is warmer I'm going to have to do battle with a potential oak forest. We had a bumper acorn crop last year and Birnam Wood is sprouting and ready to invade Dunsinane.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 04:10 am
Definitly not corn guys but dont know what it is. I have seen plants similar to this here but cant think where. my Impression from the photo is that you wont have much trouble contolling this as the stem is "watery" not woody. Impressions can be decieving though.

Im thinking it might be what we call a kiss-me-quick. dont put too much store in that.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 04:25 am
Wandering jew??????

Tradescantia fluminensis
Common Names: green wandering Jew, small leaf spiderwort, white-flowered wandering Jew, inch plant
Family: Commelinaceae (spiderwort family)

http://www.floridata.com/ref/T/images/trad_fu1.jpg

considered an invasive weed here.

http://www.floridata.com/ref/T/trad_flu.cfm

Its really hard to tell without a full work up but the above photo looks similar
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 05:45 am
I'd like to see the second one once the leaves open up, soz. From the stalk and the way the leaves are forming it might be young jack-in-the-pulpit. If it is you've got a healthy woodland and they are a protected species in some parts of the country.

The young plants don't form a pulpit, just the leaves for a few years. The leaves have a distinctive vein pattern that will help you identify them. They are a very valuable woodland plant, but don't eat them.

http://www.library.uiuc.edu/vex/toxic/jackpulp/0725056.jpg
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 05:49 am
I'm curious that it's just emerging in late May though. My jack-in-the-pulpit have been out for weeks. I'll keep thinking.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 07:54 am
Jack in the Pulpit would be lovely!

So far, Dadpad's makes the most sense. It has that whorl/ alternate thing going on (large leaf, then a smaller leaf at an angle inside of it, then a smaller leaf in that...)

If that's not what it is (I'll go look more now), dadpad's picture looks very much like it in terms of growing pattern and what it looks like from the top, in terms of more info for you guys.
0 Replies