Weed ID!

Noddy24

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 07:30 pm
Lord Ellpus--

Quote:
The juice of the herb and seed together, taken in wine, helpeth those bitten by an adder by preserving the heart from the venom.
The distilled water drunk twice a day helpeth the yellow jaundice. The decoction of the herb stayeth laxes and bloody fluxes. The juice of the leaves, or the bruised leaves, applied to a wound stayeth the bleeding. Boiled in hog's grease, it helpeth all sorts of hard swellings or kernels in the throat when anointed."
Flux - excess flow of any body secretion.

May you never git snake bit.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 11:45 pm
Yes, I noticed that, Noddy.

I'm considering leaving a little corner of the garden unweeded so that it can grow. It will always come in handy when I have need for help with "all sorts of hard swellings", or the flux thing going on.

At junior school, it was the practise to run past girls in the playground and deposit a large clump of the weed in the middle of their backs, shouting "STICKYBUDS!".

I was a delightful child.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 05:40 am
M'lord--

Mating customs are fascinating.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 06:15 am
we get this weed here to soz I would definitly catagorise it under invasive,

however climate would have a large impact on growth habit.

We call it "sticky ball weed" cause the seed sticks like anything. I work quite hard to keep it out of our garden pulling stems whenever i see them and trying not to let it seed.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 06:18 am
dadpad wrote:

We call it "sticky ball weed" cause the seed sticks like anything. I work quite hard to keep it out of our garden pulling stems whenever i see them and trying not to let it seed.

My cat sometimes comes in the house, when the seeds are about, absolutely matted with them.
A lot of squealing and scratching ensues, as we try to remove them.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 08:50 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
dadpad wrote:

My cat sometimes comes in the house, when the seeds are about, absolutely matted with them.
A lot of squealing and scratching ensues, as we try to remove them.

Ooh, that doesn't sound good. 'Specially as a goal of mine for the yard is to make it friendly for sozlet-wandering.

I might pull it up after all.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 08:58 am
I think Sozlet will be OK, Soz. It's just that my cat has very thick fur, and they get right down in amongst the fluffy bits.

If we leave her to clean them out herself, she spits them out in various places around the house, where they lie in wait to see what passing sock they can get themselves stuck on.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 10:07 am
But can you treat the weed ego and superego? They are what must be strengthened to control the weed id.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 10:10 am
Drew's been on the weed again, methinks.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 12:13 pm
The original picture is deleted, but I assume it's bedstraw or cleavers, a European invader. It's not totally without its redeeming qualities though. When it's very young you can boil and eat it along with other garden "weeds," such as chickweed, henbit, and dandelion. I even dug up some goatsbeard roots and ate them the other day. These along with dandelion need a longer cooking time than the other plants and maybe a change of water or two to reduce the bitterness. Peppergrass is good too, raw, and shepherd's purse. Both of these are peppery. And if you're fortunate, or unfortunate depending on your point of view, to have smilax or greenbriar in your yard, eat the tips, raw. I've seen huge ones in Florida, and the tips-6 inches or longer- are like asparagus but much milder and more tender.

http://home.att.net/~larvalbugrex/henbit.jpg

Henbit.

http://www.cincinnatinature.org/large_pics/common-chickweed-2.JPG

Chickweed.

http://www.vcu.edu/energychallenge/goatsbeard.gif

Goatsbeard.

http://www.friendsofsaguaro.org/peppergrass.jpg

Peppergrass. Two or three inches tall.

http://www.lepetitherboriste.net/herbier/bourseapasteur.jpg

Shepherds's purse. So named because the small seed pods resemble the sheep scrotums that shepherds made purses from.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 08:10 am
So the bedstraw/ stickybud has overstayed its welcome -- it started out petite and airy, but keeps growing and growing and is now ginormous (some a good four feet tall) and smothering. Plus, and I think I was warned here but forgot, I didn't realize it created burrs, I thought it was just the leaves that were prickly/ sticky.

Anyway, the good news (and this was what Noddy said, she was right) it's easy and even fun to pull it up. Just kinda reach into a thicket of it and pull. Sozlet helped me yesterday -- first time she's really helped with weeding as opposed to pulling one-two weeds, then deciding to replant one of them, then needing to water it, then making some lovely mud, then... She got a whole yard bag's worth of the stuff, did a great job. She seemed to have a lot of fun with it.

We still probably have 3-5 more yard bags' worth (2 so far), but the vinca underneath seems OK once we get it out. It did get really tangled with one of my ferns, that took some doing to extract it without pulverizing the poor maidenhair, but overall it's not too destructive on the way out.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 09:24 am
It must be nice to have a litle garden assistant, Soz. Hope to have one myself someday.

I saw an interesting thing. Two little birds were fluttering around our birdhouse in the back yard (It became available just two weeks ago when another family moved out). One (which later proved to be the male of the two) stuck his head inside to briefly look it over and then landed on the top of the birdhouse while the second bird landed on a low branch of a tree just a few feet away. Both were trilling loudly. Then, the male bird swooped up to the female and in only one second, mounted her from the rear, did his business and then flew off. A few seconds later, the second bird flew off in the same direction.
This took place just above my head while sitting on the patio yesterday evening. Isn't that a hoot? I think we've got new tenants.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 09:26 am
Can you smoke it?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 09:29 am
Aw, that's sweet!

Definitely nice to have a helper, could get used to that quick.

Hiya Sparky! You can certainly try. It smells kinda nice.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 09:38 am
Ooops. I'm on the wrong thread.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 01:46 pm
Seemed to fit, to me.

A couple more ID's, if I may:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/geranium.jpg

I think, from placement, that this is not a weed, but I'm not sure what it is. Some kind of geranium? (Looks sort of cranesbillish, though not exactly.)

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/weed3.jpg

This is popping up all over, most of them are about 6 inches high right now. Pretty sure it's a weed, just not sure if it's something I want.

Thanks!

P.S., that lizard head is from a little rubber lizard of sozlet's that I used to prop open the scanner top a bit...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 01:47 pm
yikes. big.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 01:56 pm
Soz, I don't know about the bottom one, but the top one looks VERY much like a Geranium. I have one with almost an identical flower, and I've just gone to have a look at the leaf, and it is 99% the same as yours.
Geraniums grow in clumps, so if it is growing in this manner I would say that you have a nice flowering garden plant on your hands, and I would leave it where it is, for now.

I'll see if I can find it on the RHS site.

(The bottom one looks like maize ....?? or something like that. Hard to tell until it is fully frown, sometimes.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 02:06 pm
The scale may be misleading, the plant in the bottom photo is only five inches from the leaflet near the very bottom to where the leaves start at the top.

Lord Ellpus, I really like these flowering plants (top photo) that I think must be some sort of geranium and plan to keep them regardless, but curious about what, in fact, they are. Your seconding of the geranium idea is encouraging, I'll keep looking around.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 02:09 pm
A-ha! Geranium sylvaticum looks extremely likely:

http://www.habitas.org.uk/flora/images/big/1214151.jpg

http://www.habitas.org.uk/flora/photo.asp?item=1214151
0 Replies