European Comission is dissatisfied with 17 EU members

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 07:45 am
I've just read in a newsline that European Comission is much dissatisfied with Baltic countries - Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, and other 14 EU members that failed to structure their national energy markets in accordance with EU legislation, and is about to impose sanctions against them.

I myself is Lithuanian and here's my oppinion on this. To be honest, I do not get it why on earth Lithuania had to join EU. What was the advantage of this step? It is common knowledge that prior joining the EU, Lithuania had the highest economic growth rate amongst all candidate and member countries. Among other terms of entry was adoption of flat rate of tax rather than a progressive scheme. With this, the tax rate is considerably higher than that of our neighbors, anyway, and it is believed to be a factor influencing the current trend of mass emigration to Western Europe, something that has been made legally possible as a result of accession to the EU. By the end of 2004, as many as 360,000 workers have left the country!

As to structuring the national energy market, it is simply impossible! Just see, as a condition of entry into the EU, Lithuania agreed to close the Ignalina nuclear power plant that, prior the closure, supplied 80% of Lithuania's electricity and provided income to most of the local people! What we gonna do now? EC must know Lithuania is most dependent on nuclear power! Now they treat us like this! Do they want us go bankrupt? They simply don't care! I think it was a no good idea to join the UE! At that rate we shall better come out of it!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 194 • Replies: 0
No top replies