She comes in colors everywhere... she's like a rainbow....

Linkat

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 10:01 am
Boomerang Beauty is right,it is stupid. However, you have to choose your fights. What I was trying to say in my not too clear way is almost what you are saying - you have to choose your fights. If it is that important to her (and in this case it doesn't seem to be), then it is worth the fight, One thing, however, she would need to realize that it could come down to her not going.

To me, my clothes are not that important - it is only what you see on the outside so I wouldn't fight about it. However, to some one else it may be the way they express themselves and therefore important enough for them to them to fight for.

My daughter has a dress code. It is stated clearly and parents actually sign something stating they will comply with school rules - which should clear up any confusion for anyone. I also asked the backpack question - not size, but with appropriate material - cartoon characters, violence, etc. so my daughter would not be bringing something the school deems inappropriate. For a Christian school, they were pretty laid back - as long as it wasn't anything like Harry Potter or Ghosts or something obviously inappropriate they really didn't care.

I can understand the fighting the backpack thing - you already spent the money on one and the teacher really didn't have a valid reason.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 10:12 am
Just want to say that the title of this thread reminded me of a Stones' song that I loved to death. Especially that piano bit--was it by Nicky Hopkins?

Thanks, Boomerang!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 10:24 am
I love that song too. Beauty always reminds me of it.

What you are all saying about pick your battles makes a lot of sense. The backpack deal - for sure. More of a "piss off" than a fight. That makes sense.

I am sometimes amazed at what people will pick fights over -- that's why I asked.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 10:49 am
And you will be amazed what demands teachers have
boomerang. We'll see a lot more threads from you when Mo enters school, believe me. Is he in Kindergarten yet?

<Our backpack was just plain red, nothing spectacular at all, just European designed, and in First grade they hardly had anything but lunch to schlepp.>
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 11:12 am
Boomer, on my senior trip to Europe in 1977, we were forbidden to bring jeans. Things have come full circle if this school is only allowing them and nothing else.

I think that shoes are what pegs Americans as Americans in Europe.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 05:15 am
mac11 wrote:
I think that shoes are what pegs Americans as Americans in Europe.

Yes?
What type of shoes, mac? I'm curious.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 06:45 am
I would venture to guess - sneakers.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 09:57 am
Yeah, I was thinking of sneakers. Though maybe everyone worldwide is wearing them these days...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 06:26 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
And you will be amazed what demands teachers have
boomerang. We'll see a lot more threads from you when Mo enters school, believe me. Is he in Kindergarten yet?

He startes kindergarten this fall and it will be a real.... hard thing for me.

I keep catching myself thinking "next year we won't be able to do this".

Like today when we were in the yard and heard a cool truck. We just took off walking in seach of the darn thing. It was an arborist trimming a tree so we just sat on the curb and watched for a half hour or so.

The whole having a schedule thing is going to be difficult to adapt to.

We're going to ease into it gently with zoo camp this summer though.

By the way, Mo already tells me stuff that he learned from his high school teacher so maybe he has a secret life that I am unaware of.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 07:57 pm
I have never had a backpack. What is this sh't that you have to have one? We carried our books hipslung, and I bet anyone's bippie they were more and thicker books than anyone at all carries now. Oh, yes, in snow.

Oddly, I don't remember any device for it. I think we carried them in dead of winter under our coats. I do remember getting a bookbag, a bad guess from my parents, on my tenth birthday, a leather thing that approximated lawyers' bags now. With my initials. I hated it on sight, which was a few minutes before I was supposed to open the package. (I peeked.)

That was at the edge of the years when we had money and when we didn't have any. Sort of a screwy piquant memory, that bad bookbag.

Looking back, I bet that was my dad's call. He usually lost on things like that, my mom took things back to the store.
Now, a half century later, I wish I had that stupid bookbag.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 08:45 pm
Ne'er mind me, does a child have to have a backpack bookbag? <wondering>

I too wore uniforms, from St. Gabriel's, St. Nicholas', and Notre Dame. The last were the ugly ones, brown and yellow plaid.
I haven't worn brown and yellow as such since, I don't think.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 08:58 pm
osso, yes, they all have backpacks - at least in elementary school. My daughter has a blue-red uniform, or blue-red plaid
with white shirts.

boomerang, it will take you about a week to get used to
Mo being in Kindergarten, while getting back to your mornings
spent differently. My guess is that he'll like Kindergarten a lot.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 09:16 pm
gosh, i hope so.
every kid should love kindergarden.
0 Replies