A "Get The Smegging Wabbit" Digression: or Bunny Fights Back

bobsmyth

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 09:13 am
A "Get The Smegging Wabbit" Digression: or Bunny F
It just wouldn't be a fair fight because unfortunately I love wascally wabbits. Remember fondly an early Bugs Bunny cartoon in which the opening statement was I should have taken a left at Albuquerque as he emerges in the middle of a bullfight arena. As he is buuted by a feisty bull he utters the famous "You know of course this means war."
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 09:17 am
Love that quote!

However, if you wuv THIS wascally wabbit, she WANTS a clash of wits!
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 09:44 am
A "Get The Smegging Wabbit" Digression: or Bunny F
Aren't you afraid this would leave you witless. Or to quote a famous poster "grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr."
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 10:12 am
Hmm, wonder if this fits into the bunny's plot...

http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/berson95gurrr.html

gurrr....they even have a HARE proposal...
0 Replies

marycat

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 11:13 am
What did you say about chilis? Grrrr!

Chilis are good! Though they have a hot-tempered side, and can make you choke and cry. They're gonna sneak into your carrot supply when you least expect it! Mwahahaha!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 02:48 pm
Chillis are evil.

They raise your chances of various cancers, they raise your metabolism and make you more likely to be aggressive and hot-tempered (name no accident!), they make your food hurry through you, they encourage sensuality and licentious abandon!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 02:49 pm
And they create poverty!

Look how poor the big chilli-using nations are compared with the not so big or no chilli using countries!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 02:51 pm
Cav - LOL!
0 Replies

marycat

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 06:50 pm
Hang on a sec, do they really increase the chances of certain cancers or did you make that one up? I'd never heard that before. I'd always heard that they were good for you.

As for increased metabolism, isn't that what we're all looking for all the time? The opportunity to eat more and see it on our hips less?

And the licentious abandon, well...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 06:55 pm
a double side order of licentious abandon, please.

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, and please be careful about chili/chile. there are a few who are a bit sensitive, so to speak, about the proper use of the words. Not quite to the roberta standard, but still a bit ummmmmm provoking.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 06:59 pm
don't forget chili with one 'l'.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 07:04 pm
chili's from Hatch, New Mexico are revered the world over as an epicurian delight.
0 Replies

marycat

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 07:07 pm
Here's my firm stance on the spelling question:

Chile is a country, and an acceptable spelling for the pepper.
Chili is a dish, and also an acceptable spelling for the pepper.
Chilli looks weird to me, as I am not British, and that spelling is.
Chilly is what I am when Brian has been in charge of the air conditioning unit.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 07:11 pm
uh oh

marycat just failed a 'foodie' test! i hang out at a chef's forum just to watch them argue about stuff like this. well, they don't so much argue as pontificate. amusing on occasion. good cooking tips, always.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 07:13 pm
dyslexia wrote:
chili's from Hatch, New Mexico are revered the world over as an epicurian delight.

My favorite! They sell the canned green chilis in my grocery store (sometimes they have the fresh ones too).
0 Replies

marycat

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 07:23 pm
I failed?!?

I know many people have very strong and exclusive opinions about things like this. I feel strongly that:

a) The English language has spelling rules that one must respect in order to communicate effectively with others;
b) English sometimes allows for multiple spellings of a single word; and
c) If I make a dish and call it chili, then it is chili. If my neighbor makes a similar dish and calls it chile, then hers is chile. But mine is still chili, because that is how I like to spell it. And if I see a word spelled "chile" I am generally inclined to pronounce it as "CHEE-lay" instead of as chili. Like the country.
d) The British spell some things strangely, exemplified when they added an extra "l" to the word chili when it didn't really need one.

When words grow up out of oral usage, sometimes it takes a long time to formalize the spelling. And sometimes multiple correct spellings evolve. This is okay, and not a reason to get all angry.
0 Replies

marycat

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 07:30 pm
An illustration of that last point:

As a child, I knew what an amoeba was. And I knew how to spell "amoeba."

When I got to high school, I was taught that the official correct spelling was changing from "amoeba" to "ameba." I was never given an adequate explanation as to why we left the Greek and moved to a more phonetic English approach, but nevertheless it happened. I still see both in print, and while I know "ameba" is correct, it will never look right to me as long as I live.

It took a long time for that formal spelling to evolve. Not everyone agrees with it, but it is there and it is correct. I believe both spellings are accepted by scientific journals.

English is fluid, it is always changing, and sometimes there are multiple correct ways to say or spell something. Then again, sometimes there are not.

Chili v. chile is one of the former cases, no matter how hard some people try to argue that it is of the latter.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 07:41 pm
the chilli sold here is a sauce, sort of a chutney-thingy ... quite different from a chili made with chiles. (i was always ok with the chili/chile variabilities, but some of the chefs get quite rancorous on the subject).

<we still spell it amoeba north of the border>
0 Replies

marycat

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 07:53 pm
A chutney-thing? So confused... Is it like a hot pepper relish?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 08:25 pm
The proper spelling is cxhilliey....but only in Oaxaca...
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/08/2024 at 06:30:05