What kind of a bird is this??

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 09:42 pm
The sozlet and I went for a walk along the river today and saw all kinds of good stuff -- goslings, grasshoppers, and the usual ducks and grown-up geese. (We saw the goslings from about 4 feet away -- really cute and fluffy.)

I thought I saw a great blue heron across the river, but it was hard to see. It just sat there, immobile. I realized my scale was wrong and it was way too small to be a great blue -- it was smaller (but not by much) than the mallards paddling nearby. It was standing on a log, and I realized when I walked along a bit and saw it from a different angle that its legs weren't very long. I briefly thought it might even be a hawk from the overall shape of its body, but the beak was all wrong for that -- much too long and pointy. Kingfisher crossed my mind, but it didn't have a crest.

I squinted at that thing for a very long time, and it was so immobile I wondered if maybe it was just a plastic bag or something that had draped itself in a particularly bird-like way. So I threw a big rock in its direction (nowhere near actually hitting it) and it started a bit but didn't fly away. So this thing was a bird, I'm just trying to figure out what kind of a bird.

I looked in my bird book under gray birds, and the green heron was shaped exactly right but the colors were wrong. I thought it might be an immature green heron from the description in the book, but when I found the picture it was much too stripey and strongly colored. This bird was almost entirely blue-gray, almost dove-gray, and possibly had a darker stripe down its back.

Any ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,119 • Replies: 23
No top replies

bobsmyth

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 10:07 pm
Your description might be a black crowned night heron. If it had a black bill and not only black on the back but black on the top of the head it would fit.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 10:08 pm
Soz- This is a black crowned night heron. Is that it? I just saw one this weekend!

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0YQDiAmoe5!6*JL3aL9Lt3CR2UKQwmNloxijWIb!Q*xLyyxpRjazAdvKQCPOlQMKgY1*baRQ9mmtRxGUs4cCY!oB!WG6N8a7BUlxOE*h3WQRfY*6j9c4XxsOF0*zweKRBNVaFV0lDYQfAKbwuQn57kA/Black-crowned-night-heron.jpg?dc=4675420842453858481
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 10:12 pm
Huh. Found this picture of it:

http://www.nysite.com/nature/fauna/page/bheron1.jpg

And that seems to have much more contrast than the bird I saw. The bird was pretty much monochrome, and very similar in coloring to a great blue, which is what I assumed it was at first.

Of course, you know what they say about eye witnesses and suggestibility, and my memory of what I saw may have been skewed by now. But I definitely thought, when I first saw it, "hey, it's a great blue heron!", and then only decided it wasn't when I figured out scale.

This seems to be on the right track, though! Thanks.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 10:14 pm
Oh, thanks for the picture, Phoenix. I really really don't think it had a black crown. Great blue herons do, though, don't they? So maybe it did...

I hope I never witness a crime... Confused
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 10:15 pm
This is the coloring I remember, but just the gray-blue part, not the darker parts (except for the possible stripe on the back):

http://www.naturegraphics.net/be528%20great%20blue%20heron.jpg
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 10:15 pm
Soz- The picture that you posted is also a black crowned night heron. Photographer had a different filter than the one I posted! A great blue is much, much larger!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 10:16 pm
Oh, I know. Definitely WASN'T a great blue, but that's the coloring I'm looking for.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 10:22 pm
http://rosswarner.com/US_birds.html

Check out the pic of the immature great blue heron.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 10:25 pm
Thanks for those pics. This was a squat little fella, all of a piece -- the green heron is really exactly the right shape. Maybe it was just a trick of the light...? I'll sleep on it and see what I can come up with. (What are you still doing up, Phoenix? Wink)
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 10:36 pm
what kind of a bird is this??
There is also a little blue heron which is much smaller. About 22" high.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 10:42 pm
bobsmyth- Little blue heron is smaller & sleeker than the little green, or the night herons. They look like reddish egrets or snowy egrets, except for the coloring:

Ahem, soz- I'm doing the same thing as you. I have this crazy sleep pattern.Fall asleep early in the evening, and then get up and have my second wind around midnight!

Link to Little Blue heron
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 10:48 pm
what kind of bird is this??
little blue heron

http://www.wakullacounty.com/wakulla-14.htm
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 10:55 pm
bobsmyth- I noticed that your link was from Wakulla County. Have you ever been there? It is south of Tallahassee Florida, near the Gulf. There is a place called "Wakulla Springs", which is absolutely gorgeous. They used the setting for a number of the early Tarzan movies.

There is a gorgeous clear spring, and caves where people snorkel. It is now a state park, but originally was a private estate. There is an inn where I stayed for a few days. The restaurant at the inn is right out of the old South. Amazing place!
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 10:59 pm
Haven't been there. The farthest south I've been is Isle of Palms, South Carolina. Most of my trips have been to Europe i. e. Sweden and Finland to see family.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 11:39 pm
Wow! What beautiful birds :-D
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 07:43 am
Montana- I learned to bird watch when I started coming down to Florida in the 1980s. Many of the birds are big, and for the most part, they sit still, so that you can really see them.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 09:04 am
I know what you mean. It was a real pleasure when in South Carolina to see the brown pelicans. For such an awkward looking bird to navigate the airways as they can just dumbfounds me. I got seriously interested in birds at the age of 30 when a friend told he me bands hawks for US Fish and Wildlife. I asked if I could watch sometime. We've now been banding together for 33 years. When the migration banding season starts in August I feel like a kid again. Of course, my ex-wife the wonderful and terrible Solveig says she knew that since I never grew up.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 09:07 am
Very Happy

I do love pelicans. Not many of them in Illinois, tho. Shocked

I used to be a more serious birdwatcher, now am quite casual. Still sticks in my craw when I see a bird and I have NO IDEA WHAT IT IS! Sad I'll figure it out eventually. I'm thinking green heron with glare from the river washing it out, at this point, but I don't actually believe it. It was blue-gray, I tells ya.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 11:56 am
howsabout a bittern - american, maybe?
0 Replies