Do people respond to you seriously when you are kidding?

Linkat

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 01:31 pm
This happens to me a lot. Both here on A2K and in every day life. I ask a question or make a comment and then I get a heart felt and serious answer. The only problem - it was a joke! My husband has even made this mistake. The question is has this happened to you? And how do you deal with it? Do you let them know it is a joke? Or do you feel bad since they honestly seem to be trying to help you with your "problem" and just simply thank them. I have to admit sometimes I have done that. I feel bad after they gave such effort to come up with a plausible explanation and go along with it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,045 • Replies: 56
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 01:43 pm
What happened to Stitch?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 01:53 pm
I'm very careful about kidding at work. It can come back to haunt you, months later - as a deliberate misunderstanding.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 01:57 pm
After 30 years I've learned to be very, very careful what I say to Mr. Noddy's side of the family.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 01:57 pm
I agree Roger - work is a little different.

Stitch is out. I feel the mean Queen fits my personality a bit more. I am not so cute and furry, but more beautiful and evil.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 02:06 pm
I have more of my jokes misunderstood than laughed at. I accept the challenge and tell even more.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 02:06 pm
My friends know I am a complete smartass so they automatically assume I am kidding but to break the ice at a customers house I will ask for scotch if they offer something to drink. Most of the time they just laugh but I have had some customers actually go to get some. Unfortunately I have to turn it down although one time a customer went out and bought me a bottle as a tip.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 02:14 pm
I was one of those people who used to respond seriously. I could be taken in so easily. In fact, at one job that I had there was a guy who used to take sadistic delight in telling me something, getting me all in a dither, and then laughing his ass off, when I realized that I had been "taken".

It took me a long time, and many years, to minimize my tendency to take people literally......................I am lots better at it, but I still get caught sometimes! Sad
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 02:19 pm
I just realized - now I will never be taken seriously! I do ask lots of "real serious" questions. It is just that people don't always understand or perhaps appreciate my sense of humor.

I once wrote an essay in high school that the teacher responded - "If this is supposed to be a sarcasm, it is very good, if not you need serious help." It was sarcasm.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 02:20 pm
When I was 18, riding in my grandfather's pick up truck, along with my oldest brother, we sat at the intersection of a busy highway. "Is it clear?" he asked. "Sure; go ahead," we both asured him. Once we got in the flow of traffic and were safe, I said, "Wait. You'll never make it. Go back and start over." Which nearly caused us to have a wreck. I never used that particular joke again.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 02:27 pm
I am so lucky in that I miss any and all sense of humor. This, in turn, makes people realize that no matter what garbage comes out of my mouth, they know I'm
a) Either talking out of my hiney or
b) Trying to give sensible information
But they also know
c) I'm very very serious.

Naj.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 03:00 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
When I was 18, riding in my grandfather's pick up truck, along with my oldest brother, we sat at the intersection of a busy highway. "Is it clear?" he asked. "Sure; go ahead," we both asured him. Once we got in the flow of traffic and were safe, I said, "Wait. You'll never make it. Go back and start over." Which nearly caused us to have a wreck. I never used that particular joke again.

god edgar, you sound like my husband, he does stuff like that all the time. Whenever he starts to tell me a story, I'll stop him and say..."OK, if this going to be for real, or is it a joke?" I think it's his tone, very dry, very deadpan.

Linkat Baby! I think we must have been separated at birth! Sure I have my serious side, but even then....life's too short. I think most of the regulars here know I'm joking, but sometimes, with newcomers, they'll respond all serious when I ask something totally off the cuff...Actually, there's a couple/3 people on A2K that just have a serious outlook and I realize not to be too brazen. Or sometimes when someone doesn't "get it" I'll wheedle in even more.

In general though both here and on the street, if someone gotten to know me well enough to know I'm kidding, and they act like that's somehow inappropriate, screw 'em. There was a time when I would tone down my act because of disapproving glances, then I realized...I don't even want those peoples approval anyway.....so PFFFFFFTTTTTT.

roger, whatever it is you do, I could never work there. I'd either quit or be fired.

Naj - don't quite understand you....are you saying you don't kid around/have a sense of humor?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 03:02 pm
Mizz T and her purple nails worries about peoples opinions?

pppbbttthhh
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 03:06 pm
Yeah - I think it is the delivery I usually give.

I once made a joke to lighten things up on a first date. The poor sap, of course, didn't know my sense of humor and it caused him to be even more nervous. I had to explain that I was joking.

This can also work against you. Once I received this phone call where the caller asked "What are you wearing" in a kind of throating deep whisper. Assuming everyone is a jokster, I figured this was my boyfriend at the time so I went along with him. That is until I asked him what he was doing and he explicitedly told me! I was more upset at the fact that I gave him a free sex call than anything else. I did have to wash my hands immediately afterward.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 03:07 pm
Yup, that was the general idea. Of course, I was being a tad ironic.

In acutality, I make lots of jokes. But I lack subtlety, so I usually go for blatant sarcasm, which is rarely misunderstood by the people I talk with Smile
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 03:10 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Mizz T and her purple nails worries about peoples opinions?

pppbbttthhh

Today my nails are "Greece Blue Me Away" or as I like to call it...Cyanosis Pshycosis.

http://dts.ystoretools.com/1191/images/100x500/grjublmeaw.jpg

Now, how can anyone wearing this be serious?

I ask you.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 03:13 pm
Love the polish color!

I used to have a favorite blue from OPI. It looked like denim - was my favorite. Unfortunately I can't find it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 03:16 pm
edgarblythe wrote:

I thought this was going to be "Just some big dog."

"Grayhound!"
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 03:58 pm
It happens here all the time. In real life, it is an effect i cultivate . . . example, little girl at McDonald's says HI! in a cheery voice, i respond, "God, i wish i were."
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 04:33 pm
Funny thing there Setanta... I figured you ALWAYS were... Smile
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Do people respond to you seriously when you are kidding?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.07 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 06:51:37