Do people respond to you seriously when you are kidding?

flushd

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 01:40 am
To the original q:
Yes. A lot.

There are many people who do not share my sense of humour. I'm okay with that. It's really great when someone actually sees when I am playing, though!

People laugh and call me funny mainly when I am being serious. That used to make me wonder, but now its funny. I think it has something to do with my style. My serious comes across softer and sillier than my playing......it's all very weird. Laughing

Nail polish:
My fav. still is the ol' french manicure. Something about it does it for me.
Toes gotta have red!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 05:05 am
Same co-worker....

One day us female types where joking around about doing the kegel exercise (every womans best friend)....air head walked in and asked "What's so funny?"

I said "Oh just messing around. Hey air head, do you Kegel?"

"Oh yeah, but I don't get HBO"
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 07:41 am
My favorite is when people repeat a joke that they don't understand and screw it up. My Dad came home from work one afternoon and told my Mother that one of the guys he worked with told this joke he heard from the boss. This man apparently laughed at all the boss's jokes but probably shouldn't have repeated them. The joke is "Well, science has found out the origins of Veneral Desease (pause) then the listener is supposed to ask "what?". Doofus answers "You get it from a women". Dad said the guy was doubled over laughing, so Dad nosed around to find out what the joke was really about and the punch line was supposed to be "You get it from abroad".
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 07:48 am
Now seriously glitterbag................which country should I avoid visiting to prevent veneral disease?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 08:00 am
Well..................that kind of stumps me. I suppose if you just avoid sitting on strange toilet seats, you should be OK. I'll check my "Old Wives Tales" handbook and get back to you.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 08:17 am
Unfortuneatly yes. One persons humor may end as being viewed as an insult to the recipient.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 03:30 pm
Then there is always the casual acquaintance who tells you they have a great joke and it is either so vulgar or stupid you are shocked into a weak laugh. Then you kick yourself because the other person probably thought they were clever.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 07:57 am
Love the not so bora bora pink! Deep reds really don't work with me, I tend to like the purples, blues, and most other shades - just reds don't look good on me. I am convinced that there is a group of women that gather every month and have wine and then name these colors.

I used to get my manicures like clock work. Every other week - had a standing appointment. Now with young children, my hands and names are a nightmare. I used to have the most beautiful nails - I am blessed with deep nail beds and nice long thin fingers so whenever I have my nails manicured (even with shorter nails) they look great. I miss those days. Perhaps in another 5 years or so I can go back to my old ways - when my girls are old enough to wash themselves, potty trained, etc. Where I am not constantly having my hands in water.

Funny how many topics turn to manicures and pedicures around here.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 03:02 am
Original question:

It's very strange for me to find people with my own sense of humor, mostly because it varies too much. Sometimes I'll joke with sexual innuendo, others just joke that I don't know anything at all or that I know everything, or answer commonplace questions with a twist

- Hello, how are you?
- Standing up and you?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 03:11 am
My problem is in reverse.

I respond to people seriously when they are kidding. Please HELP ME!?!?

What kind of freaky spaced out thread have you created here.........damn it! I come here to relax and know i'm all spaced out!!!
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 10:18 am
Amigo, my son still manages to make me think he is serious, just for the reaction he gets from me. Sometimes people deliver the line seriously just to see what kind of a reaction thy get. Don't worry too much, we all get sucked in from time to time.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 10:29 am
Yeah, every joke story works best with a straight face and a "I did it by accident", makes it a lot more believable.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 10:46 am
Happens all the time here at A2K. Even when I'm making fun of myself some nice person will come along and tell me they wish I were dead.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 10:58 am
My son has a wicked sense of humor. He probably had to, growing up around my father, mother, brother and myself. We are very competitive when it comes to being the first one to take advantage of a straight line. My son however is good for the set up and can wait for a day or so before you realize you were had. I'll try to make this short, but one day when I picked him up from school, I noticed a little boy who was terribly overweight, so much so that his eyes were almost slits. I was worried about how the other children whould treat him, and started to probe my son (with what I thought were subtle) questions.

First I said, "Do you have a new boy in your class?"
Son: "Yeah"
Me: "Is he nice"
Son: "Yeah"
Me "What's his name"
Son "Matt"
Me "Oh that's nice, it's probably short for Matthew"
Son "I guess"
Me " Who drops him off in the morning"
Son "His Mom"
Me "Have you met her", "does she seem nice"
Son "Yeah, she's nice, she reminds me a lot of you"
Me "Huh"

MY son was 8 years old, I was a young mother, tall, thin, careful about my appearance, the usual stuff we women like to maintain. So the very next day, when I arrived to pick up my son, there coming thru the double doors was the largest woman I have ever seen. She filled both doors and was wearing a poncho. Now I am completely puzzled and go looking for my son. Found him and when we got outside I asked "Was that Matt's mother?" He said yes and as soon as I started to ask "But I thought you said, he was doubled over in laughter......He waited 24 hours just to see the look on my face.

On the surface this seems kind of shallow, my son was not making fun of either the other boy or his mother's weight. He was exploiting my own vanity, just for the reaction. honest to God, I never make fun of people with weight problems.....and he knew better than to be intentionally cruel to others. That was how this whole thing started, I wanted to make sure he didn't get sucked into teasing another child for being different, he saw it as an opportunity to make a joke at my expense. He is a married man now, and still sucks me in from time to time.

I guess the moral of the story is that sometimes you can kid the kidder.

And the other mother and I became friends and when one of the school owners wanted her son to leave because he didn't "fit the image" they were trying to maintain, I organized all the other parents to put a stop to it and he remained in the school.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 12:42 pm
glitterbag wrote:
Amigo, my son still manages to make me think he is serious, just for the reaction he gets from me. Sometimes people deliver the line seriously just to see what kind of a reaction thy get. Don't worry too much, we all get sucked in from time to time.
I know. I was just kidding. Smile
0 Replies

brendalee

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 09:33 pm
I can never fool anyone but my son from the time he was very little could lie with a very straight face about anything . He once told me ,after I had been away for the weekend ( he was 18 then) that he clean our place up as he knew I has been working about 70 hour the week before . Ya he had a poker party and lots of his buddies over , a bit of issue came up and a hole in the wall happend . It was patched ,painted , a picture move down a few inches and I never noticed . It was not until 10 years later that one of his friends let this all slip.
My son's little one is like his Dad so I am think payback time is on its way.
0 Replies

brendalee

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 09:34 pm
I can never fool anyone but my son from the time he was very little could lie with a very straight face about anything . He once told me ,after I had been away for the weekend ( he was 18 then) that he clean our place up as he knew I has been working about 70 hour the week before . Ya he had a poker party and lots of his buddies over , a bit of issue came up and a hole in the wall happend . It was patched ,painted , a picture move down a few inches and I never noticed . It was not until 10 years later that one of his friends let this all slip.
My son's little one is like his Dad so I am think payback time is on its way.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 07:45:46