Searching for Automotive Vo-Tech Teaching Job

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 06:29 am
Gosh, how could this be so hard?

DH is searching the internet for automotive vo-tech teaching jobs, and it's way more difficult than I would have thought. Maybe someone has suggestions for making it faster/easier?

Right now he's using Google to pull up the School Board for every county in Florida (where we live), and adding a bookmark to their Job Listings page. This isn't perfect since it often misses Vo Tech Schools, which are sometimes not part of the school board.

We've tried TeachInFlorida.com & other Florida Teaching & FindAJobTeaching websites, but they just don't list most of the available jobs.

Any suggestions? And here I thought computers made such things Easier!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,815 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 06:34 am
Hey BorisKitten welcome back. I was worried Hurricane Katrina washed you out to the Gulf coast. I don't have any advice for your questions, but I'm glad to see you survived.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 07:10 am
Like Green Witch, welcome back, but no help.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 07:33 am
Aw, my pals are still here! So glad to "see" you!

Been sorta like Bear was at one time, trying to curb my internet time 'cause I SHOULD be doing other things.... but I've missed my A2K friends, a lot.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 07:39 am
Welcome back, BK. Has he tried visiting local high schools and talking to people there? Unfortunately, sometimes the internet doesn't have the information you need.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 09:03 am
Hi there!

That sounds like a great start.

I'd also recommend that you contact the state Department of Vocational Rehabilitation:

http://www.rehabworks.org/

to get a list of possible employers. A lot of what DVR counselors do is to find just that kind of Vo-Tech educational opportunities for their clients, so I bet they would be a good resource for non-high-school organizations.

Craigslist is surprisingly useful for this kind of thing, too, as a back-up (as in, not likely to turn up anything, but it might).

Good luck!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 02:42 pm
In both MA nd CT the Vo-Tech schools are a division of the State Dept of Ed and the tecahers there are State employees. Might be a place to look in FL too.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 09:58 am
Maybe I shouldn't post right now since I'm so fed up with this process! But allow me a bit of a rant to make me feel better... DH can forget about visiting any schools, since he's just not allowed, at least around here.

He tried this last year (or the year before?) and was treated, to be honest, like a criminal. He is not a parent or a teacher or a volunteer. He wanted to sit in on a vo-tech or even a high school class of any sort, just to get a feel of what it's like to teach a class these days, and the answer is NO.

He did substitute-teach about half a dozen classes, after being fingerprinted (for $60, when you make $50 a day) and drug tested and background-checked, but honestly substitute teaching is a whole 'nother ball of wax, with the students determined to goof off because the regular teacher isn't present.

FL recently passed the Jessica Lunsford Act, and last week six teachers were fired in our (small) county alone, due to negative FBI background checks. One, purportedly a great teacher, was supposedly fired for skinny-dipping in the 1970's.

When I dropped off his application at a local high school on my way to work, I thought I'd be strip-searched just to walk into the office.

Let me just say for the record, We Are Not Criminals Of Any Sort, have never been arrested for anything, are not child molesters or even freakin' weird, but we cannot set foot on a school campus since we "have no business" being there. Heck, I've never even had a speeding ticket! Grrr....

Many school websites require you to fill out an application before being able to view their vacancies. This might work if he wanted to teach English as a Second Language or Special Education, but most schools don't have Automotive Teachers, much less openings for them. And applications are fantastically long and difficult, making the usual 4-page Corporate application look like a piece of cake.

I've been both shocked and disappointed at the standards of Florida School Boards. On one Veteran's Preference form, a single page, I found FIVE spelling/grammatical errors. I couldn't bear to look at the rest of the application.

DH has applied and interviewed at 2 different schools, and never heard a word from either of them, not even a polite rejection letter. An application may be 15-30 pages long, listing things like 3 neighbors at all of your residences for the past 10 years, and an interview takes over an hour, never mind travel time, yet they didn't even acknowledge his application even after a personal interview.

He just found one School Board that misspelled BOTH "Personnel" and "Department" on the their web page.

I've at least found a list of all Florida School District websites (from the State Dept of Education), but many of the links don't work, and most of the working ones require 3 or 4 page changes to get to job postings, then you have to look at postings for each school in the district..

then I have to Scream, wishing for a faster connection....

Thanks for letting me rant. Mad
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 02:58 pm
Ok here we go. You can try teachers-teachers.com, the teachercenter.org,teachersupportnetwork.com,k12jobs.com

Is that helpful enough?
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 06:21 am
ralpheb wrote:
.... Is that helpful enough?

YES, thank you!

Sorry for the rant, I just HAD TO!
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 09:01 am
A heartfelt Apology to all my A2K Friends: I'm very sorry I just posted a Big Fat Rant when everyone was really very helpful.

I found State Depts of Education to be particularly helpful, and Soz's suggestions were excellent and actually led to real job postings!

Thank you all, I'm sorry.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 09:15 am
Oh, rant away, BorisKitten.

Glad that the suggestions have gotten you somewhere, though!
0 Replies