I'd like to go to church for good Friday

flushd

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 11:54 am
....but I'm not a practising Christian.

I've been looking around my city eyeing up potential churches. How do I go about doing this?

I do not want to be part of the congregation or the church. I just want a place to go to a nice, decent service on Good Friday and possibly at Christmas time.

I am only truly familiar with catholic churches. I once went to many of the churches here (catholic) looking for a place to come to the occasional service, or to walk in and sit for a few moments, or perhaps for confession. I was unable to find one that would allow me to do so without 'joining'.

This was disheartening. I don't want a long discussion with the big priest. I don't want to stick out.

Any suggestions of nice faith communities that would fit my needs?
Thanks.

By the way, I am being serious and would love it if all bashing of religion were kept out of this thread. Tall order I know! Laughing Critiques and comments welcome tho on the various ways i can go about this/where to go.

Again thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,798 • Replies: 26
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 11:56 am
you........ just pick a church and walk in.

when you are done

walk out

anyone talks to you, or tries to sell you on the church

you hiss..
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 11:59 am
Laughing

So ... it's still alright to do that?

I remember as a kid it was no problem to just walk into church. Doors open to anyone, basically. But I've had some bad experiences. Some places give me a very 'clicheish' vibe. Me no like.

I like that approach tho Shewolf. Just take a stab, eh
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 12:01 pm
Try a Unitarian chuch.

They don't offer confession though.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 12:08 pm
I've found that Episcopalian churches in my area have been very warm and welcoming to non-practicing types like me. One such church in my neighborhood advertises on its sign that anyone is welcome for observation, if they wish. I went, once, to hear a performance of Fauré's Requiem that was integrated into the service. I felt uncomfortable for most of the time--I couldn't help but think it was a little disrespectful to sit in on a service just for the music--but the church went out of its way to put me at ease. I was very impressed and grateful, and left with a good impression of the whole thing.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 12:11 pm
most churchs are not going to give you a shake down at the door.
The doors are always open to anyone.

Espically during a holiday.
Everyone comes out of the wood works to go to church then.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 12:13 pm
Thanks boom, shapeless, and shewolf.

That's true shewolf. I can just act as tho i do it every day. No one should notice.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 12:26 pm
If you're really concerned, go to a large church. The larger the better. You'll just be one of the faces in the crowd.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 12:34 pm
flushd wrote:
That's true shewolf. I can just act as tho i do it every day. No one should notice.

Look at it this way

Most of the people you will be looking at in church, will be trying to hide themselves, because they too.. like you.. are feeling a little guilty about not going to church the rest of the year.

Trust me.. they wont be worried about you. ;-)
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 12:35 pm
flushd, try St. Ignatius, on the corner of Stafford and Corydon.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 12:37 pm
I once went to a very small evangelical church and said quite loudly "What time does the train leave for Ankra" I said it in turkish, I was invited to come back next sunday as a guest preacher.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 12:41 pm
Mr. M is a C & E and attends on other very infrequent occasions. He's comfortable there.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 12:43 pm
mckenzie - Wow! Thanks for the recommendation. I will definetly check that out. I have never been there, but that isn't far from home. Smile

Thanks so much everyone. I feel much better and prepared now. As you can tell, it's been a while since I went to church!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 12:56 pm
flushd--

Remember, Christians of all denominations are enjoined to be friendly to the stranger within their gates.

You might have to smile back--or you might not.
0 Replies

daniellejean

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 06:15 am
My church is very welcoming to visitors and never pressures them to join. In fact, at the end of every service, the preist asks if any visitors would like to stand and introduce themselves (of course, many don't because this is embarrassing, but the gesture is still nice). Unfortunately, you'd have to come up to Farmington, ME to go to my church. But I bet there are plenty of others like it right near where you live. The trouble with finding a church is that many times, we have to go through bad experiences before we find the "right fit", which may be hard to do if you only go once in a while. I don't say that to say you should go more; I only say it because it's hard to find what you're looking for right off the bat. It's like relationships in many ways. So be patient. And like everyone else said, just walk in. If you get the feeling that this church is too "cliquish", then don't go back.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 06:41 am
Just curious....why do you want to go?

I mean, you don't go at any other time so what makes this different?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 09:27 am
flushd,

You can walk into any church and should feel welcomed. If you don't want to talk to anyone then don't. Sit in the back and as the service is ending, go ahead and leave before everyone starts getting up to leave. It's ok. Not everyone that attends a church service is a member of that congregation.

I hope you have a wonderful experience visiting a church this weekend. God doesn't force anyone to be there, flushd, and the people in the church shouldn't make you feel forced either.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 09:58 am
For awhile my wife and I were going to different churches to see where we fit in. It was hard to be anonymus at the Southern Baptists and Methodists. All the regulars knew each other, and newcomers stuck out like sore thumbs. On top of that, during the services they would ask visitors to stand up so they could be "greeted".

Most Catholic churches I've been to are so huge it's a piece of cake to be anonymus.

One piece of advice. If you want to go to a church (any church) on Good Friday, go ahead and exercise your rights and do so. I wish I could. There are no churches here in Sandland.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 10:05 am
Jim,

May I ask, are you in the military?
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 10:12 am
Hi Momma,

No, I'm an engineer working in the oil fields.
0 Replies