Lovatt's holiday collection No.56

sweda

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 01:11 am
Could anyone help with a query on the above crossword please.

Clue is Disfigure: H???e? tHANKS sWEDA
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 576 • Replies: 7
No top replies

lezzles

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 03:18 am
Hi sweda and Welcome to A2k!

You will find there are quite a few of us who are avid Lovatts' puzzlers and there are others from other parts of the world who love to help out with words we just can't seem to find by ourselves.

In order to help you, could you help us by giving as much information as you can, i.e., the clue number whether it is down or across, number of letters, etc.

For you query above, I went through the Collection puzzle and found the clue Disfigure referred to 167 across. Only trouble is, the answer has three letters, whereas you have indicated the word you are looking for contains six letters. Rolling Eyes

Could you have another look and let us know what you really are looking for? Waiting to hear. :wink:
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 03:44 am
Hi sweda and lezzles

I concur 100% with lezzles remarks. Read the various posts on puzzle queries in ak2 and you get the feel of it sweda.

Now to your query, I came across "disfigure" in the Monster Cross of the Holiday issue, where a 6 letter word is required in 264a.

For my answer I have "deface".

I don't know where you found the letter H as there is no cross-grid for this letter.

Also the letter E seems wrong, as there is the letter C from 240d in that spot. "eric" is the answer for 240d.

Hope this helps.
0 Replies

sweda

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 06:46 pm
Dutchy wrote:
Hi sweda and lezzles

Hi Dutchy & Lezzles,
thanks for your answers.
Its the Holiday Collection No.56 closing 18/5/2006 and on page 5 of the book (which I dont have with me at present) I'm using a photocopy of the
puzzle in case of mistakes.

The clues areound 167 across - disfigure (which I need) and l43 down is according to principles - ive got ethically (which is where I got the H for the start of the clue for disfigure)
151 down is responded and my answer is replied - which is where the
second last letter (e) comes from
132 down clue is Do impression of - and my answer is Impersonate -
(which is where I got the 3rd letter of e.

so I have H?e?e? for disfigure.

Any other suggestions please

Sweda
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 07:56 pm
Hi Sweda

Have another good look at your puzzle.

Yes, 167a is "disfigure" as clue in the puzzle on page 5. The answer for this is "mar" as suggested by lezzles and now confirmed by me.

The word you are talking about in your latest posting is 157a ,paid attention to. The answer here is "heeded", and that is where all your nominated letters fall into place.

Hope this clarifies it for you.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 08:43 pm
Hi sweda!

Sorry dear, I'm afraid it's the old "eye-balls playing tricks" time - happens to all of us - some of those numbers are very tiny!

157a is the one you are after, as Dutchy suggests, I confirm Heeded is the word needed there.

Good Luck with all of the competition answers - hope you're lucky in the draw!
0 Replies

sweda

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 09:58 pm
lezzles wrote:
Hi sweda!

Lezzles,

Yes you are both right, after your answer I used a magnifying glass
and discovered I had misread the clue number.
(My eye-test is overdue)

Thank you all for the information.
P.S. I'm not really computer literate and not really good with E Mails etc
Thanks once again
Sweda
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 10:24 pm
Hi sweda

Suspected that was the case, easily done, particularly if your eyesight is fading. Don't let one mistake daunt you, have those eyes tested and keep plotting away on that computer, practice makes perfect. Good luck. Smile
0 Replies