WAS JESUS A POT HEAD?

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 12:22 pm
Quote:
Vancouver author and Pot-TV station manager Chris Bennett has received international media coverage for his research into the connections between Jesus and marijuana.
An article by Bennett in the January issue of High Times magazine claims that Jesus Christ used cannabis to help heal the sick and anoint his disciples.
The article and its claims have received lengthy, positive articles in major media including the BBC News, the UK Guardian, the Ottawa Citizen, and the UK Sunday Times.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,938 • Replies: 21
No top replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 12:36 pm
Did he have an Rx?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 12:42 pm
This one is pretty much in line with that theory:

http://www.cannabisculture.com/backissues/cc11/christ.html

and this one is also interesting:

http://www.shamanshop.net/mushrooms4.htm

John Allegro's book is quite intriguing actually, I have read it.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 12:44 pm
How did he do that trick of multiplying the fish and bread?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 12:47 pm
could have been a trick of the eyes...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 12:48 pm
High Times... Didn't they crack Kennedy's assassination a while back? Some serious investigative journalists over there at High Times.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 12:51 pm
Anywho, the JC guy was unemployed, right? I mean, he wrote "carpenter" on his welfare forms, but as far as I can tell the guy didn't even have any tools.

Which is why he was on about letting the Romans have their money: he was on the dole. He needed the Romans to get their taxes so that he could keep on keeping on. Without the city-state idea, without an urban environment, without a welfare state -- no Jesus.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 12:56 pm
cavfancier wrote:
could have been a trick of the eyes...

Could be that the blind are easily fooled!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 12:57 pm
JC played magic tricks. That's why the Romans et al didn't like him.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 01:01 pm
patiodog, let's be specific here...JC wasn't 'unemployed', he was 'self-employed'...and all because of him, the 'self-employed' of today now need to walk on water to get a loan Very Happy
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 01:34 pm
Slow down, guys... In that first link, the author tries to build a whole "Jesus used pot" scenario by taking the ritual of anointing the head with oil that appears throughout Christian doctrine, and postulating that the oil was made of cannibis related herbs, and that the holy men were doused in it for long periods of time, from head to toe.

In the second, an even looser connection is attempted by tying the shape of certain mushrooms to the shape of the cup used in the communion ceremony.

Was Jesus a pothead? Well, I wouldn't bet on it, but if you want to place a wager on the liklihood that the authors of these scientific and logical masterpieces were 'luded on some serious hemp, I'll take my chances.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 01:42 pm
snood, I don't know much about the pot connection, but I did read John Allegro's book 'The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross.' Allegro is actually a biblical scholar, and he used primarily linguistic evidence from the original bible texts to support his theory. Whether or not I actually agree with his hypothesis, the book was a very compelling read, just another opinion on things we don't know for sure. You should check it out...decide for yourself.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 01:56 pm
And then there is all that documented talk about mannajuana.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 02:08 pm
so he got high with a little help from his disciplies Wink
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 02:17 pm
I dunno about anyone else, but with that much pressure on me, being the saviour of mankind and all, I might have indulged in a fattie once in a while...
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 04:32 pm
It is pretty likely that Jesus used a cannibus based oil for annointing people he healed. Pot is one of the most ancient psychedelics on earth, used by almost every ethnic group throughout history.
Did he own a roach clip? I doubt it. It was almost certainly used formally in healing or religious ceremonies.
I have actually used hemp oil for cooking. It is very good, with a mild flavor, making it effective when used to cook foods with more delicate flavors.
Too bad there is so much hysteria about it these days.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 04:45 pm
Hey, if it floats your boat to think Jesus got high, it's cool with me.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 05:03 pm
you tell 'em Diane.....
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 05:32 pm
I cannot conceive Jesus being what is today known as a pot head. - And I am an atheist and only believe in Jesus as (1) a composite of men and thoughts of his day and (2) an archetypal image.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 05:47 pm
why not? (i'm not saying he was -- hell, i don't really care if he was or not, if he was at all -- but why not?)
0 Replies