What the hell is a chabad?

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 10:58 am
I'm just wondering because one has just been constructed next door to my new apartment, and it looks like there is an apartment in the back that is about five feet from my window.

I thought it was some kind of jewish school/rec center kind of thing. I was actually hoping it was, because I would think that would mean that people would probably only be around during the day.

But this weekend it looked like a family was moving in next door to me. There were little kids running around and stuff, and since my blinds are semi-see-through, and I like to walk around in my underwear, this will be a problem.

So what the hell is a Chabad? Do people live in Chabads?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 939 • Replies: 15
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 11:08 am
Quote:
1 entry found for chabad.
chabad

n 1: a large missionary Hasidic movement known for their hospitality, technological expertise, optimism and emphasis on religious study [syn: Lubavitch, Lubavitch movement, Chabad-Lubavitch, Chabad] 2: a form of Hasidism practiced by Lithuanian and Russian Jews under communist rule; the beliefs and practices of the Lubavitch movement [syn: Chabad, Chabad Hasidism]

Perhaps you new neighborhood buiding houses missionaries?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 11:09 am
Yep, boomer is spot on, K.C.

http://www.chabad.org/
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 11:10 am
I thought it was a form of Jewish philosophy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 11:10 am
I don't think a Chabad is a type of housing, it's a branch of Judaism.

It's kind of like you'd said, "they've built a Protestant next door".

<can you get a picture of the actual sign?>
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 11:14 am
If I google Chabad and housing together, I'm getting student housing, student centres and affordable housing links - related to a particular form of Judaism.

such as

http://www.lubavitch.com/Article.asp?Section=60&Article=783
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 11:20 am
Oh crap. I hope they don't mind seeing a grown man naked.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 11:24 am
What ehbeth's link above indicates: adherents Chabad ("Chasidims") are known as well under the name of "Lubavitchers", which comes from the origianal name "Lubavitch" for 'town in brotherhood (that's Russian).

Judaism 101
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 11:34 am
Well, my main concern is that this little apartment in back looks like a place where a whole family can live. And I've seen a couple adults and two or three little girls running around over there. Now how the hell am I supposed to feel comfortable sitting in my underwear with nothing but my non-opaque blinds between me and them?

Not to mention other things I do that I'm sure they would not approve of.

Bastards.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 11:37 am
kickycan wrote:

Like? :wink:
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 11:38 am
Play Frank Zappa CDs at them until they move out.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 11:44 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
kickycan wrote:

Like? :wink:

Like my nightly show wherein I sport a polka dot dress and sing the tunes of Bette Midler at the top of my lungs. Oh wait, she's jewish, isn't she? Maybe they won't mind that after all.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 11:49 am
That's exactly where I was aiming at!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 12:37 pm
kickycan wrote:
Oh crap. I hope they don't mind seeing a grown man naked.

Are you circumcised?

you could exhibit your goy schlong and they would get so vaclempt they'd be fermisht .

Oy Gevalt !
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 02:36 pm
kickycan wrote:
I hope they don't mind seeing a grown man naked.

Although I appreciate being invited to your humble abode, I must decline and even if I were to visit I'd be wearing my clothing.

Who knows maybe you can make your parents proud of you by finding a nice young girl to settle down with...

A Place For Kicky to Visit
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 04:56 am
Lubavitch Chabad = recruitment center for Lubavitch Hasids. It's a place for Jews to live with a Lubavitch family to see if they want to become a follower of Lubavitch Hasidism. The Lubavitch are one of the few groups who do Jewish missionary work. I've lived near them twice in my life, and being of Jewish decent they would often invite me over for a sabbath meal. Their real goal was to hitch me up with one of their ugly males, shave my head, make me bear numerous children and work like a donkey so my husband can read the Torah all day.
The good news- they don't want a heathen like you Kicky and they will probably just ignore you, even when wearing a poka-dot dress.
0 Replies