Plants and Ecology

gollum

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 02:44 pm
President Reagan said:

Approximately 80% of our air pollution stems from hydrocarbons released by vegetation, so let's not go overboard in setting and enforcing tough emission standards from man-made sources.

How could it be?

Is it true?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,576 • Replies: 6
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 03:16 pm
Reagan had what we call a mysterious mind, on the other hand, Bush just has a mystery for a mind. The mind of the american electorate is the biggest mystery of all.
Vote early, vote often, vote Kucinich.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 04:12 pm
Both Reagan and Bush must haved learned about science from reading the same comic books. I think I'll let someone like Farmerman come to the rescue of this thread.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 02:33 am
Idiots!
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 05:04 am
Re: Plants and Ecology
gollum wrote:
President Reagan said:

Approximately 80% of our air pollution stems from hydrocarbons released by vegetation, so let's not go overboard in setting and enforcing tough emission standards from man-made sources.

How could it be?

Is it true?

To tell you the truth, 80 percent of air pollution stem from man-made sources- not just vehicles and industries but also from Carbon dioxide that we expire.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 06:43 am
Plants do release respiration products like CO2 when they arent photosynthesizing. Conifers give off volatile organic compounds. I have no ide about the percentages, and thats immaterial anyway. We can control our emmissions .
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 02:11 pm
Plants use more CO2 for photosynthesis that they give off in respiration. The balance is in the plant body itself. When the plant dies the CO2 is either eaten, and the CO2 returns to the atmosphere, or else becomes humus or peat or coal, eventually. I think the point is that before technology, the CO2 level in the atmosphere would vary somewhat but become stabilized by the increase or decrease of plant ranges and growing seasons determined by the warming or cooling climate. But the rapid increase of CO2 put into the air by the rapid buring of fossil fuels is way beyond the capability of plants to stabilize, especially when considering the rapid loss of forests.
0 Replies