Keeping cats out of the garden?

JPB

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 09:48 pm
I received this email from a friend today

Quote:
I have a garden pest problem. I inherited my mom's outside kitty. She lives in a little house on my front porch. She didn't use to do this, but unfortunately she has become fat and lazy and uses the garden right next to my front door as a litter box. This has been going on all winter, and it is getting ugly. And smelly. I would like to gently but firmly convince her to do her thing somewhere else, like maybe the neighbor's bushes. Ropel doesn't seem to work. Home Depot doesn't carry anything else. The "garden associate" there recommended gasoline. Don't know if he meant on the ground or on the cat. There are numerous things available on the internet, all containing urine of large predators, but they are a little pricey, and I have learned that not everything you read on the internet is always the truth.

Does anyone here have any idea?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,032 • Replies: 11
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 09:57 pm
I've used a commercial repellant. The active incrediant was paradichlorbenzine, which is the stuff used in those little pink cakes in the urinals. It worked, and wasn't that pricey. I wouldn't use it where there was a lot of personal contact, like a kid's sandbox.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 10:02 pm
Spraying the cat with water every time she goes there? might be somewhat time consuming, i suppose... Nails and needles? Or some other prickly if not life threatening material?
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 10:18 pm
There are other ways to do this, involving more or less work. Basically, your friend must make the garden unattractive as a litter box. Think like a cat. A litter box is filled with loose dry materials, easy to dig. Soooo....

Plan A: (a lot of work) dig up the garden and put chicken wire on top of the soil. Put plants through the holes of the wire and spread a thin layer of mulch over it. When the cat tries to dig the potty hole, it will be frustrated by the chicken wire.

Plan B: Densely plant the garden. They want to dig a hole, and most cats (but not all) will not disturb a plant to do this ~ so if the garden is densely planted, there's no place to dig.

Plan C: There is a herb that cats detest -- I just can't remember the name of it right now. But it should be an easy internet search. Find it and plant lots of it all over.

Plan D: Use a mulch that cats don't like -- fist sized river rocks for example.

Plan E: Get a dog and train it to protect the garden. :wink:

The good news is that once the habit is broken, and the cat has established an new favourite potty area, it's likely that the garden can be changed back to the way it is now.
0 Replies

queen annie

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 09:23 am
It seems like I've heard mothballs will deter felines--but I'm not sure of the effect on the actual plants...

No moths, either, I assume.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 09:29 am
cayenne pepper sprinkled on the dirt..
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 01:41 pm
Thanks, all. I'll pass all of these great ideas on to my friend.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 03:09 pm
Yep, cayenne pepper works here, too. Just be sure you use LOTS of it.

You may want to replace the dirt in that section of the flower bed before replanting. The ammonia content will be too high, and you don't really want to be digging in that with your hands anyway.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 11:22 am
My mom used moth balls in her outside garden because the cats used it as a litter box. It stopped them.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 12:03 pm
I think the only problem with moth balls (besides that smell that I can't stand) is that they are poisonous ~ a potential danger to dogs perhaps and small children.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 12:08 pm
My neighbor uses straight lemon juice.
Cats HATE that smell..

the only problem I would see is , they would make a bee line to the ONE spot, you forgot to spray. Laughing

On top of that, I think the lemon juice is too harsh for plants to absorb. So it may not work in a living garden.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 02:12 pm
Thanks for all the tips. I just got another email stating that 'they' are working better than he'd hoped. I'm not exactly sure which one(s) he used but things seem to be improving.
0 Replies