Israel has never recognized acknowledged Palestinians

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 05:58 am
proof of the one-sided deals shoved down arbs throats. . .boy I wonder why they won't be "willing partners" in a deal. . . .

'As Israelis, We Also Fight for Palestinians'
[Interview] Jeff Halper, 2006 Nobel Peace Prize nominee

http://english.ohmynews.com/articleview/article_view.asp?article_class=3&no=283072&rel_no=1

2006-04-05 07:07 KST

A professor of anthropology at Ben-Gurion University of the Negev and peace activist for over 30 years, Halper co-founded the Israeli Committee Against House Demolitions (ICAHD) in 1997, after the Oslo peace process collapsed. The organization exposes the injustice of the occupation and asserts the crucial role of international civil society to end it.

Halper calls the Israeli policy toward Palestinians as "the matrix of control" -- the framework created by strategic settlements, Israeli-only highways and the separation wall. He strongly criticizes the occupation and says, "As Israelis, we also fight for Palestinians."

"As long as Israel has the occupation, you cannot have a healthy, normal, prosperous society," he said.

Halper has been nominated for the 2006 Nobel Peace Prize for his grass root peace activities, along with Professor Ghassan Andoni who was introduced in a previous interview.

Iwasaki Atsuko [In Bold] spoke with Jeff Halper on March 27 at his Jerusalem office.

What was the trigger driving you to a peace movement?

I grew up in the United States and came to Israel in 1973. I was involved in the famous 1960's movement -- the civil rights and the anti-Vietnam war movements. Even though I came to Israel, I knew that where I was coming was not perfect and I was always critical about Israel. So I moved into the Israeli peace movement right away.

In the early 1970's, we never thought that the occupation would be so strong. There weren't settlements yet, Ariel Sharon yet. I thought that we could be over and finish it. The current situation of the occupation is really disappointment. That's why I continue to fight against it all these years.

You co-founded the Israeli Committee against House Demolition (ICAHD), which resists the demolition of Palestinian homes by sitting front of bulldozers, confronting Israeli soldiers and rebuilding demolished homes.

After the Oslo peace process began in 1993, Israeli peace movements became kind of quiet, because we thought that former Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin and Shimon Peres would negotiate with Palestinians and maybe peace would come out of it. But in 1996, Benjamin Netanyahu was elected as a prime minister. He ran on exclusive peace process platform. We saw that the Oslo peace process had collapsed. The occupation proceeded in very bloody way. House demolitions and settlements began again.

We asked Palestinians about what would be a good issue to cooperate on. They talked about house demolitions a lot, so we decided that it would be our focus, although our big goal was the end of occupation completely. In 1997, we organized the ICAHD, which was a coalition of different Israeli human right groups and the one of the first real wakening of the peace movement after the Oslo peace process. We have always worked together with Palestine organizations and local people.

Israeli government recently takes the unilateral policy to Palestine. Why has it been imposed?

Israel has never recognized and acknowledged that Palestinian people are living in this country. The Zionism has always denied another people and their rights. Until today, the idea is that the whole country, between the Mediterranean and the Jordan River, is our country, exclusively only for Jewish.

The Oslo peace process was the game. They never really negotiated with Palestinians. In the Oslo peace accords, it demanded the Palestinians to recognize Israel in 78 percent of the country, but it never recognized the rights of Palestinians. Israel seemed to be negotiating, but doubled the settlements in that period. It didn't see any connection between negotiations and what was doing on the ground. That's why the second intifada came out, because Palestinians said "What is this? We are sitting for seven years to talk to you, now there were twice the settlements than the beginning of the peace process."

We think, as Israelis, that Jews and Arabs should live together. Palestinians have rights of self-determination just like we have. We have to fight also for their rights. One of our slogans is "we refuse to be their enemies."

We are against the Israeli policy of the occupation and the displacement. If you create an apartheid situation, if you lock another people into the prison, in the end, you cannot develop a healthy, normal and prosper society. The occupation, conflict, terrorism, settlements, all affects the Israeli society and economy. As long as the occupation continues, Israel itself cannot be free.
[snip]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 521 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 06:02 am
Define a Palestinian.
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 06:07 am
http://www.icahd.org/eng/

Stage 1: Inside Israel (1948-1960s)

• Between 1948 and into the 1960s Israel systematically demolished 418 Palestinian villages inside of what became the State of Israel, two-thirds of the villages of Palestine. This was not done in the heat of battle, but well after the residents fled or were driven out, so that the refugees could not return and their lands could be turned over to the Jewish population.

Stage 2: In the Occupied Territories (1967-present)

At the very start of the Occupation in 1967 the policy of demolition was carried across the “Green Line” into the West Bank, East Jerusalem and Gaza. As of 2006 approximately 12,000 Palestinian homes have been destroyed – many of them homes of refugees who already lost their homes, lands and properties inside Israel in 1948 and after.

• At least 2,000 houses were demolished immediately following the 1967 war. Four entire villages were razed in the Latrun area (now known as “Canada Park”), while dozens of ancient homes were destroyed in the Mughrabi Quarter of Jerusalem’s Old City to create a plaza for the Wailing Wall.

• In 1971, Ariel Sharon, then Commander of the Southern Command, cleared 2,000 houses in the Gaza refugee camps to facilitate military control. (Since he was elected Prime Minister in early 2001 he has overseen the demolition of another 1500 homes in Gaza.)

• At least 2,000 houses in the Occupied Territories were destroyed in the course of quelling the first Intifada in the late 1980s and early ‘90s.

• Almost 1,700 Palestinian homes in the Occupied Territories were demolished by the Civil Administration during the course of the Oslo peace process (1993-2000)

• During the four years of the second Intifada, beginning in September 2000, between 4000-5000 Palestinian homes were destroyed in military operations, including hundreds in Jenin, Nablus, Ramallah, Bethlehem, Hebron and other cities of the West Bank, more than 2500 in Gaza alone. Tens of thousands of other homes have been left uninhabitable. Altogether around 50,000 people were left homeless. Hundreds of shops, workshops, factories and public buildings, including all the Palestinian Authority ministry offices in all the West Bank cities, were also destroyed or damaged beyond repair. More than 3000 hectares of cultivated land – 10% of the agricultural land of Gaza – were cleared during this time, together with wells, reservoirs, water pumps and kilometers of irrigation networks.

• During the same period about 900 Palestinian homes were demolished by the Civil Administration for lack of proper permits.

• During the second Intifada more than 628 Palestinian homes were demolished in acts of collective punishment and “deterrence” affecting families of people known or suspected of involvement in attacks on Israeli civilians. On average 12 innocent people lose their home for every person “punished” for a security offense – and in half of the cases the occupants had nothing whatsoever to do with the acts in question. Collective punishment is illegal under international law.

In sum, during the second Intifada 60% of the Palestinian homes demolished in the Occupied Territories were done so as part of military “clearing operations;” 25% were demolished as being “illegal,” not having permits; and 15% for collective punishment (B’tselem Through No Fault of Their Own: Israel's Punitive House Demolitions in the al-Aqsa Intifada; November, 2004).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 06:25 am
I acknowledge that the Israelis are right shits in their imperialistic policies in what once was Palestine. Nevertheless, it bears pointing out that not only do many (and perhaps most) of the Israelis fail to recognize the right of the Palestinian state to exist, many (and perhaps most) of the Palestinians fail to recognize the right of the Israeli state to exist (which is notably true of the party which currently controls the Palestinian Authority).

When it come rabid haters, there's little to choose between the two. One side is just as bad as the other.
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 01:30 pm
Quote:
I acknowledge that the Israelis are right shits in their imperialistic policies in what once was Palestine. Nevertheless, it bears pointing out that not only do many (and perhaps most) of the Israelis fail to recognize the right of the Palestinian state to exist, many (and perhaps most) of the Palestinians fail to recognize the right of the Israeli state to exist (which is notably true of the party which currently controls the Palestinian Authority).

When it come rabid haters, there's little to choose between the two. One side is just as bad as the other.

True, when you look at it from a neutral perspective. It's just that when the media focuses on one side of the story for too long and demonizes the other side do things get ugly.

Lots of focus was put on Palestinian attrocities and ignoring Israeli attrocities. It is very unrealistic of me to think that politicians will stop supporting Israel, as Jewish lobbyists have a lot of money which whispers in their ear, but I personally believe that there really isn't much of a reason why we should continue supporting Israel when a lot of the things they do is done for the sake of Israel rather then the sake of the rest of the world. And thats just beside the fact that supporting people who kill innocent civillians is wrong.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 01:38 pm
Setanta wrote:

True, but one side has considerably more power than the other.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 01:41 pm
Yeah, the Palestinians definitely have an uphill struggle, FD.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 01:42 pm
Certainly those who kill innocent civilians should not be supported, whether that describes the IDF or Palestinian suicide bombers.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 07:08 pm
If it was not for oil in the Middle East, plus that the Middle East is (to my understanding) a major focus of Judeo-Christian religions/cultures etc. I do wonder if the popular media and public attention in North America would focus on the Israeli-Palestine issue to such a large degree.

It seems to me that many other areas of the world have as much or more issues but get nowhere near the coverage or interest.

This in no way imputes that I condone the denigration of the Israeli-Palestine issues, or claim full understanding of the issues, but only as a matter of perspective.
0 Replies