For Musicians

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 06:05 pm
Think wayyy back, what song did you always play that you don't play anymore?

This applies to any and all instruments.

I'll start off by saying China Grove by the Doobie Brothers
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,061 • Replies: 72
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 07:22 pm
Did you mean in a live band situation or just practising on your own?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 07:28 pm
I just got a part time job going into Guitar center and playing with Guitars, effects, Amps and softwhere.

They gave me a letter to give the managers that says "let this guy play with all the crap in the store heres my corperate number"

I'm going to play "flipper" full blast for an hour.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 07:47 pm
Honestly, I don't play much of anything at all anymore, except for the occasional Johnny Cash base line {while listening to him} now and then.

But to answer the question....Santo and Johnny...when I first started playing I was a huge fan of their music, I drove my parents nuts with "Sleepwalk". I tried every type of metal/glass/plastic I could get my hands on to make a slide with...the glass slide is my favorite. There were a few Chet Atkins and Les Paul tunes as well, that I would play everyday as warmups...then one day I just stopped playing that type of music all together.

I'm not sure what happened but, I'm thinking that was about the time I first saw Stevie Ray Vaughan on SNL...85/86ish....all things changed from that point on...that was the type of music I wanted to make.

I still catch myself whistling "Sleepwalk"...it was and still is such a great song.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 08:15 pm
Yeah Stevie Ray changed my whole music making perspective.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:33 pm
I used to play the piano from Pink Floyd's 'Great Gig In The Sky' whenever I found any keyboard instrument. Also Bowie's 'Changes', the Eagles 'Desperado' and The Police's 'Does Everyone Stare'. But being a bass player they were the only four recognisable songs I could play.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 09:45 pm
bookmarking until I've had a rest.

Freebird comes to mind.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 06:50 am
Amigo wrote:
I just got a part time job going into Guitar center and playing with Guitars, effects, Amps and softwhere.

They gave me a letter to give the managers that says "let this guy play with all the crap in the store heres my corperate number"

I'm going to play "flipper" full blast for an hour.

Laughing
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 06:56 am
2PacksAday wrote:
I still catch myself whistling "Sleepwalk"...it was and still is such a great song.

I can remember when I was 15 going to a neighborhood party. The band was set up outside under a string of lanterns...playing "sleepwalk" and all the couples were slow dancing...I was mesmerized.

My band does the song but we combine it with Floyd Kramers "Last Date" and call it "Sleep Date"
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 06:57 am
hingehead wrote:
I used to play the piano from Pink Floyd's 'Great Gig In The Sky' whenever I found any keyboard instrument. Also Bowie's 'Changes', the Eagles 'Desperado' and The Police's 'Does Everyone Stare'. But being a bass player they were the only four recognisable songs I could play.

Hey Hinge, what's the second chord in "Desperado"...havin a hell of a time getting it right Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 11:57 am
http://www.line6.com/

here is the product line I am responsible for. I have to set up and test everything. My employer doesn't know it but I prefer traditional vintage and acoustic instruments.

Wait till some kid comes up and I have to tell him. "this crap isn't real son music is in the heart and mind"
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 01:29 pm
You got that right
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 03:19 pm
Ever since I was a kid these companies have been putting out these giant effects peddle things. It's has 10 nobs, 10 bottons 10 foot switches, a digital display and a built in Wah-wah. "with the flip of a switch BAM you have a 12 string guitar". Yea right. I have no clue what the hell i'm doing.

The guitar played clean without the effects was a total peice of crap.

I play a Dreadnaught Fender I bought in a pawnshop in seattle.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 03:30 pm
I have two different effects I use...a twang and an overdrive...it's a security blanket...tone is so hard to get.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 03:42 pm
Same for me. A little reverb, a little vibro, a little overdrive and a good guitar. Thats now though. When I was younger......Well nevermind.

Our band is "The lazy slaves"

uke

Deadnaught fender

snair,brushes, bongos, wood block, hi-hat, tamborine.

Working on adding bass
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 03:44 pm
I have a Cry Baby wah wah, a few distortion/gain/overdrive/crunch pedals..then an old set of 4 pedals that I bought off a college kid that needed the money, they never did work quite right though...a stereo chorus, gain, flanger..and I can't remember the 4th..thinking it was the one that never worked at all.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 03:50 pm
I went through a wah wah faze but I had to give it up when I found out I'd never be able to do it right. I have enuogh trouble with cord changes and staying in key let alone try to coordinate two hands and a foot.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 04:18 pm
Out of all the things I've ever learned to do in my life, working the wah wah was the easiest by far. I brought it home, plugged it in...and it just came naturally, whereas leaning to drive a stick shift...manual transmission...took...well, way longer than I will admit to. If there had been someway to make it musical, I'm sure I would have learned in less than an hour.

It might have to do with the fact that when I listen to most any song...with a decent beat or rhythm...my entire body tends to move in time, so the wah wah just became an extension of my foot/lower body.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 04:23 pm
Do you kind of step down on the peddle in time when you do the downstroke on your guitar in rhythm?
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 04:46 pm
Sort of, it's kind of hard to explain.....it's been about 10 years since I seriously played anything.

I just listened to Stevie's "Say What" so I could get a feel...on that one, much of the song I used to sort of vibrate my foot very quickly, more that purely rocking it back and forth in rhythm...sometimes I would leave the gate wide open...sometimes not use it at all. I guess that's the thing with the wah wah's...its more of a "feel" thing than an actual technique.
0 Replies