What is a "ticket of leave" man?

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 10:52 am
I'm reading a book by an Australian writer and he often mentions "ticket of leave" men.

Are they parolees?

Where does this expression come from and what does it mean?

Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,294 • Replies: 10
No top replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 10:54 am
http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/Ti/Ticket+of+leave.html
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 10:56 am
Thank you, blacsmithn!

I did a quick Google search but only came up with many reference to a movie of that title. I didn't think to check a dictionary.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 10:57 am
When men or women in a convict system (this was true in Virginia and Maryland before our Revolution, as well as subsequently in Australia) had completed a sentence which did not require them to remain in the colony to which they had been transported--they were given a ticket of leave, which could be used if the sought to get passage out of the colony, or simply to show that they had completed their sentence, if they remained in that colony. Those who were sentenced never to return to England, on pain of death (certain manslaughter and murder charges for which their sentences had been commuted to transportation), did not get a ticket of leave, because they were not permitted to leave the colony to which they had been transported.

That's my story an' i'm stickin' to it . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 10:59 am
You gotta get up early in the mornin' to beat that BS guy . . .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 10:59 am
The wikipedia on this is pretty good.

<thanks for making me look it up>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ticket_of_leave

Quote:
A ticket of leave was a piece of paper issued to convicts transported from the United Kingdom who had served a period of probation, and had shown by their good behaviour that they could be allowed certain freedoms. Once granted a ticket of leave, a convict was permitted to seek employment within a specified district, but could not leave the district without the permission of the government or the district's resident magistrate. Each change of employer or district was recorded on the ticket.

Ticket of leave men were permitted to marry or to bring their families from Britain, and to acquire property, but they were not permitted to carry firearms or board a ship. They were often required to repay the cost of their passage to the colony. A convict who observed the conditions of his ticket of leave until the completion of one half of his sentence was entitled to a conditional pardon, which removed all restrictions except the right to leave the colony. Convicts who did not observe the conditions of their ticket could be arrested without warrant, tried without recourse to the Supreme Court, and would forfeit their property.

and

http://www.cultureandrecreation.gov.au/articles/convicts/

Quote:
The ticket of leave licences were developed first to save money, but they then became a central part of the convict system which provided the model for later systems of probation for prisoners.

Governor King (1800-1804) first issued tickets of leave to any convicts who seemed able to support themselves, in order to save on providing them with food from the government store. The tickets were then used as a reward for good behaviour and special service, such as informing on bushrangers. Gentlemen convicts were issued with tickets on their arrival in the colony although Governor Macquarie (1810-1821) later ordered that a convict had to serve at least three years before being eligible.

0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 11:01 am
I am the Google King!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 03:50 pm
I agree with good ole Wiki.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 08:39 pm
The only quibble i have is as to the origin. I know from my readings in American history that tickets of leave were issued in the penal colonies here (Maryland, Virginia and Georgia) before our revolution. The practice may have first been used in the antipodean penal colony by Governor King, but it was an already established practice.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 07:42 am
And it is, it is a glorious thing
To be a Google King!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 06:14 am
Heeeeeeee is the Google king,
Hurrah for the Google King!
0 Replies