Saag Paneer, I love you

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 12:37 am
ossobuco wrote:
Uh oh. Those look very appealing.

You can get those online??

Or if you want to make some Osso, try here.......I only hope that you have a medium fire going at the moment.

http://www.bawarchi.com/contribution/contrib4781.html
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 12:42 am
OOOH! THIS is a good page (thousands of recipes and bits of info)

http://food.sify.com/fullstory.php?id=13287329
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 04:43 am
McTag wrote:
Sag means spinach I think.

I'm going for a curry next Wednesday with my pal.

I'll have some then.

And dal, I like the way they do curried lentils in the place we go, Malu's place.

Hay Mc, Nice to see u again.... Smile

Sag is Curry ... generally made up of palak(spinach). But there can be non-spinach saags i.e. curries also like of Fenugreek, Raddish leaves or Gongura...

U must havwe tasted plenty during your visit to India last year. :wink:
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 04:46 am
sakhi wrote:
I love samosas too (with the green pudina/mint chutney)...yum yum.

Yess Sakhi, Samosas Rock!

sakhi wrote:
Great!! i hope you'll enjoy the hyderabadi biryanis!!

Hyderabadi Biryani... Lakhanavi Kababs ... I feel like a Mughal Emperor already... Cool

Sakhi where do you stay in India? I live in Mumbai. Smile
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 04:47 am
Hi Vinny

Malu comes from Gujerat, is it any different there?

By the way, I saw a big article about India in The Independent today. Not very cheerful, but interesting. About the rich/poor divide.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 04:54 am
McTag wrote:
Hi Vinny

Malu comes from Gujerat, is it any different there?

Depends.... It would be mostly sweet if it would be Gujarathi Curry... And Spicy if it is Punjabi / Maharashtrian.

And it would be Neither too sweet Nor too Spicy if its South Indian (then it would be mostly Rassam or Sambhar)

McTag wrote:
By the way, I saw a big article about India in The Independent today. Not very cheerful, but interesting. About the rich/poor divide.

Unfortunately its true. Sad
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 05:14 am
This is the article, don't read it if you're not feeling cheerful today
(I couldn't find it at first, looking in the wrong place)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1746869,00.html
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 08:03 pm
Learning a lot hear by listening...

So, I know I've talked before on a2k about trying to make Dal (daal?) myself. I tried a recipe with a large number of ingredients (20? - perhaps I exaggerate in memory or maybe it was more than that) and had quite a vat of wonderfulness perking away, when, at the very end I was supposed to add coconut milk. I don't know why that didn't stop me in itself, as I don't think I've ever had it with any coconut milk, or even heard of it, but I was very obedient.

I added the can and killed the entire vat, don't know if it was coconut milk or cream - it was (to me) horrid, and I poured the whole thing out. A waste, but who did I know who would eat it? Too sweet for Los Angeles palates. One day I'll try making daal again, but at least in my non native experience, just eating in restaurants, there are daals and daals. When they are good, I think I could subsist on daal and naan.

Naturally, I'm no judge.
vinsan

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 06:39 am
ossobuco wrote:
Learning a lot hear by listening...

So, I know I've talked before on a2k about trying to make Dal (daal?) myself. I tried a recipe with a large number of ingredients (20? - perhaps I exaggerate in memory or maybe it was more than that) and had quite a vat of wonderfulness perking away, when, at the very end I was supposed to add coconut milk. I don't know why that didn't stop me in itself, as I don't think I've ever had it with any coconut milk, or even heard of it, but I was very obedient.

I added the can and killed the entire vat, don't know if it was coconut milk or cream - it was (to me) horrid, and I poured the whole thing out. A waste, but who did I know who would eat it? Too sweet for Los Angeles palates. One day I'll try making daal again, but at least in my non native experience, just eating in restaurants, there are daals and daals. When they are good, I think I could subsist on daal and naan.

Naturally, I'm no judge.

Never heard of coconut milk in Daal Confused ..... In Coastal Maharashtra, people add little amounts of grated coconut but no coconut milk or cream as such. That Daal tastes good.

U said you added entire can of coconut milk? That will obviously make it sweet... Sweet daals are famous in Gujrathis but they do not add Coconut Milk , they add little sugar or Jaggery instead.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 07:51 pm
That was probably in the early 1980's or even late 1970's that I tried making that large amount of daal. I can only guess that I got the recipe from a newspaper article. I don't remember, of course, now, if it was a whole can of coconut milk or somewhat less. I just remember I killed the daal, which up to that minute tasted delicious.
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 10:09 pm
vinsan wrote:

Never heard of coconut milk in Daal Confused ..... In Coastal Maharashtra, people add little amounts of grated coconut but no coconut milk or cream as such. That Daal tastes good.

Yes, that's right...south indians do not use any coconut milk in daal either...
There are many many kinds of daal....here's a simple recipe (not how I make it though...but it sounds like it;s nice and simple to make..)...

http://www.route79.com/food/daal.htm
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 12:01 am
squinney wrote:
Discovered Indian food at a great little place here in Raleigh a few months back.

Oooooh! The one thing I miss most about living in Raleigh is an Indian restaurant called 'Royal India.' Could that be the one you're talking about, Squinney? If you haven't tried it - you must. Their's is the best Indian food I've had outside of India. (I'm Indian, btw.) Their weekend lunch buffet is absolutely to die for - they have an absolutely brilliant spread, tons of variety and *all* of it delicious.

Now I'm hungry and I'm supposed to be on a diet!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 01:15 am
I have no vested interest in this, being from the west US, but you make me want to try that restaurant....
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 02:07 am
ossobuco wrote:
I have no vested interest in this, being from the west US, but you make me want to try that restaurant....

I know - I want to visit them again too, but it probably won't happen ever again.

West US? Well, if you were located in the South Bay Area of CA - I could recommend a couple... Though I have to say, none as good as Royal India.

Anyone know of good eating places in Philadelphia? That's the next stop for our nomadic family.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 04:45 am
Heatwave - Actually, not sure when you were here, but there is a new Indian restaurant going out towards the airport in a new development called Brier Creek. Can't even remember the name of it now.

After that one, Bear and I tried the Royal India buffet on Capital Blvd. for lunch midweek. Everything was cold, so I wasn't that impressed.

Then, we tried the Royal India at Pleasant Valley (Glenwood Ave.) and it was certainly on par with the first Indian food I had tried. And, it's right around the corner from our house! Cool
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 10:50 am
Indian food rocks !

So do Indians....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 11:13 am
Prince, I still want to go to that place in London one day; it was where you and some other a2kers went for one of the early a2k London get togethers. Fabulous menu, as I remember.
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 01:16 pm
Oh, that's disappointing to hear. I had been talking about the Royal India on Capital. It's been almost a year and a half since we were there last.

Can't say I ever went to one in Brier Creek.

The other Raleigh restaurant I miss is Neomonde on Beryl Rd near NC State. Delicious!
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 09:48 am
This is for squinney - the Raleigh connection.

I really miss Neomonde today. I can almost taste their falafel, smell the aroma of their kababs. If you like them, would you have a falafel sandwich and a cup of their rice pudding for me? Thanks.
0 Replies

abhikenn

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 01:17 pm
@ossobuco,
Daal ahhhh, very simple food eaten by all Indians. to make a simple Tasty version, Simply boil the Daal with water salt and half tsp of turmeric, for more taste add a bay leaf , till the desired consistency is reached (you cannot recognize the individual grain), . Once cooked. in a separate saucepan put I tbs of olive oil and 1 tsp butter , heat till light smoke comes up, put1 tsp cumin seed till it splutter , cover if necessary add 1 dry red chilly pepper,I chopped onion fry it till the edges of onion are slightly brown, add a bit(1tsp )of ginger and garlic(fresh please) grated. And a few pepper corn. Add this mixture to the cooked Daal and boil for 5 min add half tsp sugar. Stir and done. Serve with Rice or chapatti. Don’t use coconut cream. You can garnish with green chopped cilantro about2 tbs.