Is all "found religion" just contrived?

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 12:02 am
As a Deist (yes i spelled it wrong in my screen name, but there is nothing I can do now) I would have to say yes.

Whether it be hinduism, Shintoism, Christianity or Satanism, they all just seem too contrived. Is this the best we can do to have a relationship with God (under any name or face)?

Are we at such a loss at understanding ourselves and the universe around us that we would rather indoctrinate a common lie? Or in the case of multiple religions: Choose a popular lie.

I'm not just upset with Christians, they just happen to be what I have to deal with on a daily basis.

A friend asked my permission to pray for me the other day because I was sick. I granted him permission because for his sake he needs something to believe. Did his prayers work? no. (and for those of you who would say that they didn't work because I didn't believe that they would, you sound like idiots.) I could have got the same result praying to a road cone.

My point is this, and it's simple. Why can't we just say: "I don't know." I only believe in one sin, and it's pride. Why must we assume so many answers, if for no other reason than to fill in gaps. For the love of God (pun intended) people die every day over our incapablity to say "i don't know any better than you."

In all my complaining, I forgot to give a shout out to Buddha. He's probably the only sane one ever. Not so much for for his preachings, but for his warrantee. He said: "don't believe me." Don't believe me when I say love all mankind, test it. We never test what sounds good, only what challenges us. Buddha was rad. Jesus had a groovy side too, but he was followed around by some real squares.

If we must fill in a gap in our hearts, why can't we just fill it with wonder of the great unknown? At the end of my life, I'm sure that I am in for a surprise, and I don't have any faith in what anyone else is saying.

There is no scenario where I die and look at the lady next to me and say: "I wish I knew the password."

Be brave. Shout it out: "I don't know!" It's liberating. Once you do, the whole world under your nose will seem a bit more important.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,608 • Replies: 25
No top replies

fresco

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 05:55 am
Diest TKO

You need to examine the social and psychological functions of "organised religion" in order to qualify your word "contrived".

Religion acts as a tribal label, a common communication, and an insurance policy for "the afterlife". It comes with a book of spells called "prayers" and "truths to assimilate", and it has a self sustaining organizational hierarchy with vested interests in power "above and below".

Religion is not about knowing "truth"...it is about "what works for you" but no theist will admit to such straight functionality if his "social reality" or his "immortal soul" is at stake.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 07:46 am
Welcome to the board, Diest.

You can change your screen name if you wish.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 09:32 am
All is lost
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 09:36 am
I don't know too many people who wouldn't admit they don't know.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 10:12 am
And that's the problem. We'd sooner kill someone else than admit it.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 10:20 am
that's not what I said...

please reread.....
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 10:28 am
Oh damn, well sorry for the misread. You're a more fortunate person than I. I am however am surroundd by self-proclaimed gurus who would never admit they didn't know.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 10:32 am
when I am surrounded....I look for a gap and move somewhere else.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 10:42 am
Well. I'm in Missouri, I'm surrounded about 100 layers deep. Escaping a familiar circle would only gain me access to a less familiar larger circle of hostle know-it-alls.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 10:46 am
I wasn't talking geographically.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 10:50 am
I'm just saying, my options for talking to other like-minded "know-nothings" is limited by my geography.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 10:51 am
well, you're here now, aren't you?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 10:52 am
well, you're here now, aren't you?

what would you like to talk about?
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 10:58 am
LOL. well, now that I'm here, I'd say just listening for a change is pretty satisfying. But haveing a voice is quite liberating as well.

How do you feel about Religion an Politics? Is there a place for it? Is it too late to draw a line? Do you want a line? Who draws it if there is one? The line metaphore is so old... I weep.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 11:10 am
I feel:

Religion has no place in politics, and vice versa

It's never too late for anything.

If everyone stayed out of everybody's way, a line wouldn't need to be created.

but, I pay little attention to politics, and my ideas about life in general are too simplistic for many peoples tastes.

but, it seems to keep me out of trouble.

Welcome to A2K....why not start a thread on some of these concerns?
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 11:13 am
And be thread whore? Never. I must keep my dignaty. LOL. Thank you for the welcome. This seems to be quite the forum for intellegent dialogue.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 11:46 am
We need more new people starting threads....not just in religion and spirtuality, but all...

please do....
0 Replies

Freedomelf

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 04:53 pm
My religion teaches that no one knows for certain which religion is right...even my own. I guess that is why I have faith in it. Smile
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 05:32 pm
Hey, I enjoyed your post Diest TKO.
Welcome to the board! Smile
0 Replies