Name your political correctness peeve

Gala

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 09:03 pm
Re: Name your political correctness peeve
D'artagnan wrote:
Who the hell is offended by the term "Laundry Room"? The dirty clothes? Isn't stamping out language offensive to some people what PC is supposed to be about?

Bizarre, ain't it. I don't think it's a PC thing in terms of the laundry room renaming so much as a trend in the culture to elevate the status of basic chores through words. Sort of like redesigning/repackaging/marketing everything-- Yep, Marketing is the operative word here.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 07:59 am
Marketing people are retards.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:03 am
Chai Tea wrote:
Marketing people are retards.
Laughing

yep
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:15 am
http://www.borg.com/~superman/Images/pc.gif

Oompa-de-doo.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 05:48 pm
Officially Sanctioned Metrication in Canada
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrication_in_Canada#Before_conversion

<gak, gag, sputter>

The Liberal federal government of Pierre Trudeau first began implementing metrication in Canada in 1970. By the mid-1970s, metric product labelling was introduced. In 1972, the provinces agreed to make all road signs metric by 1977. There was some resistance to metrication, especially as the sectors of the economy where the federal Weights and Measures Act required metric to be used grew in number. The metrication of gasoline and diesel fuel sales in 1981 prompted 37 Progressive Conservative Members of Parliament to open a "freedom to measure" gas station in Carleton Place, Ontario, selling gas in both Imperial gallons and litres. The small city of Peterborough, Ontario was a noted hotbed of opposition to metric, having been one of the government's three test centres for the metrication process. Bill Domm, a Member of Parliament representing the riding of Peterborough, was one of the country's most outspoken opponents of metrication.

The election of the Progressive Conservative government of Brian Mulroney in 1984 slowed, and ultimately stalled, metrication in Canada. Regulations requiring metric measurements have either been repealed or are no longer enforced. As a result, Canadians today typically use a mix of metric and Imperial measurements in their daily lives.

Notwithstanding the end of officially-sanctioned metrication in Canada, most laws, regulations, and official forms exclusively use metric measurements. In fact, many imperial measures no longer have a legal definition in Canada. This has resulted in some companies (mainly brewers and bars) promoting "pint" and "quart" sized glasses or bottles, where in reality, they are often significantly less than that.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 06:49 am
"Illegal immigrants". No such thing.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 07:19 am
I hate saying that people's actions or comments offend me, when what I want to say is "I think you're $^$*%&*&^ed".

It is too freakin' PC to point to the behaviour, not the person. Sometimes I just wanna tell people I don't like THEM. In public. Out loud.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 07:45 am
ehBeth wrote:
I hate saying that people's actions or comments offend me, when what I want to say is "I think you're $^$*%&*&^ed".

It is too freakin' PC to point to the behaviour, not the person. Sometimes I just wanna tell people I don't like THEM. In public. Out loud.

Tell it sista!

sometimes it just sounds so weak and lame when you address the actions, not the person....sometimes the person IS the problem.

1st cousin to that...when sometimes someone is really being a jerk, and someone else is all....."well, did you ever think that maybe....."

Yeah, I thought that, but maybe this person is just a douce bag.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 07:54 am
I'm going to report that.

Enough already. There is no such thing as an "illegal immigrant". Never was, never will be.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 07:57 am
ehBeth wrote:

Any you really think I care? Laughing
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 05:38:53