Name your political correctness peeve

Gala

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 07:39 pm
Okay, this PC thing has been annoying for a while, but now it's reached a new low. They've just put up a sign "Clothing Care Center" on the door of what was formally the laundry room. Laundry is a comforting word. What was wrong with Laundry Room? This is not good.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,004 • Replies: 69
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 07:44 pm
I would complain. Sheets and pillow cases are not clothing.

<edit> Well, maybe in some States of the U.S.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 07:48 pm
Good one, Intrepid.

Regardless, laundry is laundry, it doesn't need to be babysitted.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 07:49 pm
Intrepid wrote:
I would complain. Sheets and pillow cases are not clothing.

<edit> Well, maybe in some States of the U.S.

Nice one, Intrepid... Laughing

Oh crap, that's right...I live in one of "those" states.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 07:52 pm
Liontamer, how do they react to your Fez?
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 07:54 pm
Gala wrote:
Liontamer, how do they react to your Fez?

They just assume that I am a Shriner, and stay out of my way.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 07:56 pm
In a prior incarnation, there were two simatar looking things below that fez. It probably works.
0 Replies

soozoo

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 07:56 pm
Clothing Care Center? How retarded!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 08:23 pm
In Canada:

We tend to name schools and other institutions after people who are disabled.

We are forced by law due to the Official Languages Act to have all products labeled in both English and French despite the fact that there are not very many people that speak just French. In fact there are not many that speak French very well at all as a total of Canada's population.

We are forced by law due to the Multiculturalism Act to expend silly amounts of taxpayer dollars for the express purpose of supporting the concept of different ethnic groups not integrating.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 08:27 pm
Chumly wrote:
In Canada:

We are forced by law due to the Official Languages Act to have all products labeled in both English and French despite the fact that there are not very many people that speak just French. In fact there are not many that speak French very well at all as a total of Canada's population.

We are forced by law due to Canadian Multiculturalism Act to expend silly amounts of taxpayer dollars for the express purpose of supporting the concept of different ethnic groups not integrating.

amen, my canuck brother, amen
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 08:30 pm
Naming everything that offends a right winger PC.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 08:32 pm
Chumly wrote:
In Canada:

We are forced by law due to the Multiculturalism Act to expend silly amounts of taxpayer dollars for the express purpose of supporting the concept of different ethnic groups not integrating.

This is interesting. Could you name at least 3 such schools in Canada?

French and English have been spoken in Canada for over 300 years and is part of Canada's identity. French is the mother tongue of 6.6 million Canadians.

Canada is also known as a multicultural society and this is also part of our identity.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 09:07 pm
Intrepid wrote:
This is interesting. Could you name at least 3 such schools in Canada?
I said "schools and other institutions", go look up Terry Fox Theatre and Terry Fox Secondary School and the Terry Fox Foundation. Do your own Googling.
Intrepid wrote:
French and English have been spoken in Canada for over 300 years
So what! The Native Aboriginals tounge have been spoken for far longer.
Intrepid wrote:
and is part of Canada's identity.
Says who? You?
The Official Languages Act? The Multiculturalism Act? The Chinese? The East Indians? The Jews? The Poles? The Native Aboriginals?
Intrepid wrote:
French is the mother tongue of 6.6 million Canadians.
That's what Quebec would have you believe due to forced language indoctrination and all that supposed separate culture drivel
Intrepid wrote:
Canada is also known as a multicultural society and this is also part of our identity.
So what! Why should that be presumed to be validation for the government's nosey interventionism vis-a-vis the Official Languages Act and the Multiculturalism Act?

Intrepid this is a thread for the critique of Political Correctness.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 09:09 pm
Differently abled.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 09:17 pm
Selectively Perceptive
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 10:55 pm
'Special Kids'. Referring to disabled/mentally challenged kids.

Aren't all kids special? Do we need to point out the specialness of these particular kids? Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 10:58 pm
i still haven't gotten over Personnel turning into Human Resources... and that was a long time ago.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 04:31 am
I walked into the main office sometime last summer, and boomed "Mornin' girls, it's a beautiful day". A big chorus of a reply "Mornin' Ellpus"....followed by loads of friendly banter between us about various things that were scheduled to happen that day, who went and did what the previous evening, etc etc.

Now, we have fifteen officers working in our lovely old, detached Victorian building near the Courthouse. There are eight secretaries and two admin staff, and they all work in the main office.

We all get along famously, no bitching, no sniping and no office politics. Just as a backnote, the male staff are often grouped together and referred to as "lads" or "the boys" eg "The boys have just gone down to Court, if you hurry, you'll catch them" type of thing.

We are, seriously, the closest thing you could get to close family.

Anyhoo, I walked away from the main office and went to go up the stairs to my place of work.
Our new Senior Officer stopped me and asked me to come into her office. She told me in no uncertain terms that she didn't like me using the term "girls" and I was to refrain from doing so. I asked why, she replied that it was derogatory. I asked if there had been a complaint...she said that there didn't NEED to be a complaint.

So......I went back to the office and told the girls what had just happened. They were astonished, and very upset about the whole thing. The Senior secretary (who was nearing retirement and didn't give a damn) went straight into the bosses office and told her that she was bang out of order. The boss, however, wouldn't budge.

I mentioned this bollocking to various colleagues during the day, and found that two others had been told the same thing.

By the end of the day, all officers and staff had agreed the new acceptable terminology to be used upon entering the building and greeting each other.

I now walk in (and so do all the others) and boom "Mornin' female staff members of equal status.....it's a beautiful day"

And they all chorus "Mornin' equal male"

The Senior Officer's office is right next to them. I hope she cringes every time.

Don't get me wrong, as I can see where using "girls" CAN be done as a put down, and would never even consider using it for this reason. But to have someone come in and make a very unfair sweeping judgement on my character was in my mind, totally OUTRAGEOUS!

So very unneccesary.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 04:34 am
I know several women who refer to their boobs as "the girls" interesting, yes?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 05:48 am
but of course
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Name your political correctness peeve
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 09:31:31