Name your political correctness peeve

Setanta

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 07:51 am
Yes, that use of "the girls" is not unknown around here.

With reference to Chumly's bigotry--a careful study of the history of the Royal Canadian Navy which i read, and recently re-read, by a respected Canadian historian, revealed that the majority of Québecois recruits as late as the 1960s had first to be taught English, as they spoke no language but French, and the "Royal Navy" tradition of the Royal Canadian Navy was so strong that there was no provision for the use of both languages, and the majority of officers spoke not a word of French. Intrepid is wrong in one respect. The only English spoken in what is now Canada before 1759 was spoken by the handful of Hudson's Bay Company employees in the "factories" on the shores of Hudson's and James Bay. Otherwise, from 1608 to 1759, Canada was inhabited by a population for whom French was the first and only language, saving the "First Nations" languages which any of them might have learned. Those would have been the coureurs du bois, who were a decidecly small minority of the population. The French-speaking Canadian has been a fact of life for almost 400 years, whether or not the much later-arrived English-speaker likes it or not. I find, sadly, that bigotry such as Chumly has expressed here is all too common in English-speaking Canadians. A walk through many of the neighborhoods of Toronto on any given day, however, will dispel his canards about "multi-culturalism." When we had our little gathering last Saturday (Djjd, Joe Blow, BoGoWo, ehBeth and I), we went to Spadina and Dundas. Having white faces, we were a very noticable minority.

I find much, if not in fact most, of the political rectitude claptrap to be pure burro shito. I will not refuse to state what i consider the truth simply because it may offend someone's sense of politically correct propriety. Nevertheless, i was grossly offended by Chumly's remarks, which i suggest are largely conditioned by ignorance. Given the large Asian population of Vancouver, i found it ironic. I can understand that he is ignorant of the importance of French to so many Canadians, but his remarks about "multi-culturalism" seem awfully dull-witted to me. If there are in fact more than six million Québecois in Canada, that's more than 20% of the population. The contention that they all speak English is not only unwarranted, it is definitely lacking in perception. They did not just suddenly decide one day to return to speaking French--their culture has never ceased to be a French-speaking culture, and until very recently in Canadian history, they represented far more than 20% of the population.

As for "multi-culturalism," i was very pleased with the restaurant we visited Saturday, which was one of literally hundreds, if not actually thousands, of Asian restaurants one can visit in Toronto. "Greek Town" on the Danforth is restaurant heaven, as well. There are sufficient number of Italians and Portugese living there that there are Italian and Portugese-language television stations. The population of people from the Islands is sufficiently large that the Caribana celebration (once again, great food!) is quite a big deal. The greater Toronto area (this area is commonly called the GTA for shorthand) contains more than 10% of the Canadian population. Chumly's remarks are not simply offensive, they sound rather hollow and uniformed.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 07:58 am
Say Chumly, did you vote PC in the last election? (pun intended)
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 07:59 am
Ellpus, awful, and unfortunate.

Your new supervisor, or whomever she is might need to be addressed "Good Morning authoritarian figure and disseminator of mindless rules which kill all spontaneity and render us bitter where we once were joyful." Or something like that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 07:59 am
heeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheehee . . .

okbye
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 08:56 am
A non-profit organization here that I used to help...

First it was...The Center for the Disabled
Then it was...The Center for the Physically Limited
And now it is...The Center for Individuals with Physical Challenges

Makes me want to throw up.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 02:06 pm
My brother calls "The Girls"-- The Dairy Bar. How's that for Un-PC?

Yep, Eva, that's bad.

Although I posted in protest against PC talk I do have a small reserve that is patient for it:

Calling Asian people "Orientals." As a friend put it-- "They're not rugs." Whenever someone says "Orientals" I just think they're ignoramuses.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 03:34 pm
Gala wrote:
Ellpus, awful, and unfortunate.

Your new supervisor, or whomever she is might need to be addressed "Good Morning authoritarian figure and disseminator of mindless rules which kill all spontaneity and render us bitter where we once were joyful." Or something like that.

oh I know, it's like no one looks at anything in context anymore.

Some women for instance, can get away with calling everyone "honey" from the babe in arms to the head of the company and it's perfectly natural. It doesn't seem to matter if they're 20 or 80 either, they say it with such good-will toward all. These women should be allowed to carry permits to do so.

Flushd…mentally disabled? I thought that was the PC term…I grew up calling them retarded.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 03:39 pm
Name your political correctness peeve?

Getting shot in the face with a bean bag.

and oh yea, jumper cables hooked up to my nuts.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 03:40 pm
I can't stand beaners, but that's meat for a different thread . . .
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 03:47 pm
Setanta wrote:
Cute! I did not much like any of the parties so I went against my better judgment and voted NDP.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 03:50 pm
An unwilling New Democrat . . . Tommy Douglas is either spinning in his grave, or laughing in Hell . . .
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 03:53 pm
Eva wrote:
A non-profit organization here that I used to help...

First it was...The Center for the Disabled
Then it was...The Center for the Physically Limited
And now it is...The Center for Individuals with Physical Challenges

Makes me want to throw up.

I suppose though it is better than "A Large Pile of Cripples".
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 03:59 pm
Intrepid wrote:
I would complain. Sheets and pillow cases are not clothing.

That is an insult to ragheads everywhere.

Also, isn't just being Canadian considered a disability?

God, I love this thread!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 03:59 pm
Chumly wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Cute! I did not much like any of the parties so I voted NDP, how about you? You much misinterpreted my post, given the thread context of PC pet peeves., there is no bigotry to be found, you are way off base indeed.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 04:04 pm
Damn, it looks like deja-vu all over again . . .
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 04:07 pm
I am having lunch so the second part of my post as to your misinterpretation did not make it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 04:08 pm
It still doesn't . . .
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 04:11 pm
Doesn't what exactly?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 04:11 pm
Make it . . .
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 04:13 pm
Well, being that I'm a racist illegal alien opponent according to the PC folks here at A2K .... that might rank up there.

That and the fact I shoot cats, and people seem to have some strange aversion to that.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 02:13:53