ISLAM LURING MORE LATINOS

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 04:40 pm
Quote:
"Islam has given me a sense of religious community and well-being that I was starting to miss in my life," said Martinez, 26, who converted from Catholicism in 1993. "It's helped give me a sense of completion."

The steadily increasing number of Latino Muslims illustrates how deeply rooted Islam has become in the national landscape -- even spreading to communities not normally associated with the faith, religious scholars say. The Muslim population in the United States is estimated at more than 4 million, nearly six times the number in 1970, but still a fraction of the nearly 1 billion Muslims worldwide.

Although exact numbers are difficult to find, the American Muslim Council, an advocacy group in Washington, estimates that there are 25,000 Hispanic Muslims in the United States. The largest communities are in New York City, Southern California and Chicago -- all places that traditionally have had large Hispanic and Muslim populations. All-Spanish mosques have emerged in some of those areas.

Washington Post

Smile Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,382 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 04:44 pm
Luring . . . what an appropriate verb . . .
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 06:57 pm
Setanta wrote:

Heh, that does invoke the correct images.
I would go with 'infecting' myself.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 07:22 pm
Jeez, as if they didn't have enough trouble.
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 08:46 pm
Luckily my fellow Cubans are to cynical to fall for it. I hope.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 11:55 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Setanta wrote:

How ironic, and yet you worship Satan. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 09:09 am
Eryemil wrote:

Well i'll be go to Hell . . . i didn't know that you are Cuban. I was raised with la musica cubana--my mother was very much into Cuban "big band" music, such as Desi Arnez and Tito Fuentes (did i spell those correctly?). I love Cuban music myself, although it is hard to get in most places in the States. It's easier to find in Canada. There's a new Cuban restaurant that opened on the Danforth, and you can get your black beans with "salsa" from the local bands . . .
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 01:39 pm
Raul-7 wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
Setanta wrote:

I certainly do not. I have no imaginary friends whatsoever.

As usual, your 'facts' are wrong.
0 Replies

dalahow2

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 03:27 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Raul-7 wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Doctor, while I keep track of most of your good replies, I tend to find that you judge people like:

Your facts are wrong,

Your imaginations are not ok

your This and that...

Without further elaborations...Could you be wrong anyways? Smile
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 05:30 pm
Setanta wrote:
Eryemil wrote:

Well i'll be go to Hell . . . i didn't know that you are Cuban. I was raised with la musica cubana--my mother was very much into Cuban "big band" music, such as Desi Arnez and Tito Fuentes (did i spell those correctly?). I love Cuban music myself, although it is hard to get in most places in the States. It's easier to find in Canada. There's a new Cuban restaurant that opened on the Danforth, and you can get your black beans with "salsa" from the local bands . . .

Heh yeah, I'm Cuban.

So likes Cuban music and food huh? Very Happy You're officially invited to the family gathering for my birthday! I'll be cooking myself, don't worry, I'm not a good cook.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 12:38 am
dalahow2 wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
Raul-7 wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Doctor, while I keep track of most of your good replies, I tend to find that you judge people like:

Your facts are wrong,

Your imaginations are not ok

your This and that...

Without further elaborations...Could you be wrong anyways? Smile

I don't need to elaborate further. As I AM 'me' , I am the ultimate authority on what I believe.
I do not have any imaginary friends, including but not limited to, the putative boogyman you address as 'satan'. Your proclaimation as to the contrary is pure bullshit.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 12:57 am
I'd been worried about A2K being over run by christian nuts. Now we seem to be able to add islamic nuts. We'll soon have enough for the whole fruitcake!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 05:49 am
Eryemil, it's kinda hard to screw up black beans or pink beans, but i'll be sure to taste things first.

Wilso, fruitcake is universally despised in the United States, and with good reason.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 06:18 am
I love fruitcake. My Mum makes the best boiled fruitcake in the world.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 06:21 am
In America, fruitcake is a by-word for inedible food. I don't say you won't meet Americans who like fruitcake, just that it has become a standing cultural joke. People send fruitcakes as Chrimbo gifts (or once were in the habit), which was taken as a sign that they were unwilling to make the effor to get you something which you might really have liked. It is not at all unknown for people to re-wrap a fruitcake, and send it off to someone for whom they can't be bothered to pick out something nice.

The of course, there's the meaning of fruitcake which disparages the sanity of individuals. We've got lots of that, too.
0 Replies

dalahow2

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 07:48 am
Re: ISLAM LURING MORE LATINOS
dalahow2 wrote:
Quote:
"Islam has given me a sense of religious community and well-being that I was starting to miss in my life," said Martinez, 26, who converted from Catholicism in 1993. "It's helped give me a sense of completion."

The steadily increasing number of Latino Muslims illustrates how deeply rooted Islam has become in the national landscape -- even spreading to communities not normally associated with the faith, religious scholars say. The Muslim population in the United States is estimated at more than 4 million, nearly six times the number in 1970, but still a fraction of the nearly 1 billion Muslims worldwide.

Although exact numbers are difficult to find, the American Muslim Council, an advocacy group in Washington, estimates that there are 25,000 Hispanic Muslims in the United States. The largest communities are in New York City, Southern California and Chicago -- all places that traditionally have had large Hispanic and Muslim populations. All-Spanish mosques have emerged in some of those areas.

Washington Post

Smile Smile

I post the above so that you criticize the information the way you want.I think washington post will ultimately be incorrect with that Information..Hope so...

Some fellows think that 1.5 billion muslims in the world are "Just Blind"..

The figure keeps on increasing meaning "More people are becoming Blind day in Day out"...

Thank you...
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:40 am
Re: ISLAM LURING MORE LATINOS
dalahow2 wrote:
"More people are becoming Blind day in Day out"...

And THAT, is the first intelligent post you've ever made!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:56 am
I guess it helps if those who overcome their blindness are sentenced to death. But I'll be dalahow will conveniently ignore that particular fact.
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 04:42 pm
Setanta wrote:
Eryemil, it's kinda hard to screw up black beans or pink beans, but i'll be sure to taste things first.

Wilso, fruitcake is universally despised in the United States, and with good reason.

I resent that Setanta. Surprised
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 11:22 am
I didn't know you had such strong feelings about fruitcake, Eryemil . . .
0 Replies