and a "full quiver of children."

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 08:08 am
Quote:
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - The little Utah tourist town of Kanab is a gateway to some of the biggest views in Red Rock country. Nearby are Zion and Bryce Canyon national parks as well as other stunning landscapes that formed the backdrop for TV's "Gunsmoke" and "The Lone Ranger."

"Our slogan has been `Come and play in our backyard,'" Kane County's tourism director Ted Hallisey says.

But some tourists may be passing up Kanab this year.

In January, the City Council in the overwhelmingly Mormon community of 3,600 unanimously passed a resolution in favor of the "natural family" consisting of a working husband, a stay-at-home wife and a "full quiver of children."

The resolution struck some as homophobic and sexist, and stirred talk of a Kanab tourism boycott, which won the endorsement of syndicated travel columnist Arthur Frommer.

"I think they know perfectly well this is a smokescreen for discriminating against gays," the New York City travel guru and guidebook author said Wednesday in a telephone interview.

The six-member City Council in Kanab is the only Utah governmental entity to pass the resolution, which was sent to cities all over Utah by the Salt Lake City-based Sutherland Institute, a conservative think tank. Sutherland President Paul Mero said that studies show community problems such as crime, violence and poverty increase when family structures break down.

http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/41273.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,359 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 08:28 am
No gay spelunking then?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 08:33 am
Makes sense to me. Gunsmoke was set in Kansas, which every one knows is quite similar to Bryce Canyon. Sure.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 09:52 am
What does a "resolution" do? Does it really have any signifigant impact?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 10:35 am
Quiverfull is a movement among evangelical, Protestant, Christian couples, chiefly in the USA, who eagerly accept their children as blessings from God, and eschew birth control, natural family planning and sterilization. Someone of this persuasion might call themselves a "quiver full" or "full quiver" Christian. The term comes from the Bible verses in Psalm 127:3-5:

3 Sons are a heritage from the LORD, children a reward from him.
4 Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth.
5 Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate. NIV

The key practice of a quiverfull married couple is to not use birth control. A healthy young couple might thereby have a baby every two years or so during their fertile years, yielding as many as 10 children or more. Most quiverfull families are not that large, however, because general health problems or infertility may intervene, or the couple may have married later in life, or the decision to stop using birth control may come later in the marriage.

Most Christians are surprised to learn that such a movement exists, because the secular attitude toward birth control has become so nearly universal in Protestant churches. However, Protestant Christians initially opposed the use of birth control as it was introduced in various forms early in the 20th century. Around 1950, and especially in the 1960s, as birth control became generally accepted in American society, most Christians adopted the secular view that more than one or two children were an expensive burden to a family, and perhaps a contribution to a planetary problem of population growth. This acceptance of birth control was true even among the most conservative evangelicals.

Quiverfull advocates oppose this general acceptance among Protestant Christians of deliberately limiting family size through use of birth control. They consider children to be blessings which should be received happily from God, and not an unaffordable economic burden. The essential idea is that if one child is a blessing, then in an affluent situation each additional child is likewise a blessing, and not something to be disdained as unaffordable.

Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiverfull
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 03:16 pm
Seems like the bible only wants boys.

They fixing to drown the girls?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 03:44 pm
Thanks Dys, you actually explained something to me that I was a little mystified about. A while back, on another board, there was a woman who referred to herself as Quiver10 and she argued like a banshee if anyone suggested birth control, planned parenting or population problems. I never realized that her screen name said it all.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 03:55 pm
Greenie, you're on other boards? I don't satifisy your needs? Gonna take a shotgun and disconnect my brain!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 03:59 pm
Quote:

Several months ago the local newspapers carried an AP Feature story describing how boys from polygamous Morman sects are frequently found unworthy of the family and tossed out on their own (into the world of the Gentiles) away from the polygamous breeding pool.

When it comes to the breeding pool, the polygamous men prefer girls.
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 04:56 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Quote:

Several months ago the local newspapers carried an AP Feature story describing how boys from polygamous Morman sects are frequently found unworthy of the family and tossed out on their own (into the world of the Gentiles) away from the polygamous breeding pool.

When it comes to the breeding pool, the polygamous men prefer girls.

Great gods, the first thing I thought of were crocodiles. They chase away their male offspring and keep the females around. (for future mating, I think)

Anyone that knows how it really works please enlighten me.

Nonetheless there's got to be something wrong going on when a higher primate behaves like a cold reptilian, oviparous animal.

Shocked
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 09:28 am
Eyremil--

All of us hapless humans have--and need--a well-functioning reptile brain.

Actually, I first typed "will-functioning reptile brain". I like that expression, too.
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 02:08 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Eyremil--

All of us hapless humans have--and need--a well-functioning reptile brain.

Actually, I first typed "will-functioning reptile brain". I like that expression, too.

I don't know Noddy, the thought scares the red out of me. Shocked

The reptilian brain (in humans) controls fundamental needs in an instinctual sense. Survival, mating and such. It is also the source of basic love, hate, fear, lust and contentment. This part of us that overrides that reasoning part of our brain in times of stress. (ex. Acts of rage and foolish things like sleeping with your best friend's girlfriend)

I think I'd rather keep my reasoning, human brain. :wink:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 03:40 pm
Eryemil--

Each of us goes to sleep with a lizard and a horse..and without the lizard controling breathing, we'd never wake up.
0 Replies

crimsontriad

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 03:11 am
from a mormon quiver to lizards in just one page. i love it.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 03:48 am
Eryemil wrote:
Nonetheless there's got to be something wrong going on when a higher primate behaves like a cold reptilian, oviparous animal.
Shocked
On average over time the supposedly lower "cold reptilian, oviparous animal" is not only more rational, and far less destructive/self-destructive, but has a massive track record over the supposedly "higher primate" to prove it.
0 Replies