US Immigration-The Choice:A Wall or a Money Machine.

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 09:47 am
News Item: GOP Split on Immigration

The Republicans have got another problem. On the one hand, here they are the party of morals and on the other, the party of making big bucks for the fat cat contributors of the GOP. This immigration thing is driving them a little crazy because despite a lot of effort they can't find a way to blame Bill Clinton for any of it.

Their leader, George W. Bush, you remember him, wants a guest worker program for the eleven millions guests who are in this country illegally. Why would he want such a thing? Well, he's a simple man and his super-rich base has told him they need those undocumented workers to keep making money hand over fist and that he, simply, has got to find a way to get it done. They've got a lot of meat to pack and malls to clean and fruit to pick and they are willing to make a lot more cash for six more years before something else will have to be done. (Another one of those things, like the permanent bases in Iraq, for future Presidents to decide.)

Meanwhile, over in the morality branch of the RedState Rendezvous, otherwise known as the House of Representatives, they wants to make the whole bunch into felons, not the fat cats, the aliens, they also want to make anybody who helps an illegal alien a felon too. That's a little unsettling to organizations like the Catholic Church who has a little interest in helping folks in need.

And, taking advice from the builders of nations in the Middle East and not from Robert Frost, the morality branch wants to build a wall between Mexico and the United States. Very exciting for the concrete producers in the SouthWest, but for those who admire the openness of American society... not so much.

So let's see the Republicans have to make a decision based on doing the right moral thing or making more money for the top two per cent of earners...

golly, which will they choose?

Joe(on pins and needles)Nation
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,403 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 04:14 am
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 05:29 am
I have always posted the same response on this topic. I favor letting them in. If some idiots make it a felony to enter illegally, we could in theory have a million new prisoners to feed for years to come, instead of out there working.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 05:42 am
I continue to whine the same old tune, as some a2k members have stated.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 06:08 am
I work in the agricultural industry. Americans don't realize how much more they would have to pay for their food if Americans were picking it, if we could even find Americans to do the picking.

I've worked with Mexican crews and American crews in landscaping- the Mexicans are the best. I've seen 18 year old, football playing, healthy American boys wilt out in the sun after a couple of hours, the Mexican guys are like Cyborgs - you have to make them take a break. They never complain, they are always polite and they don't ask to take the day off to have a BBQ at the beach. Most young Americans would rather make minimum wage working in an air conditioned mall than do physical labor that pays $15 an hour.

If the rich politicians want their lawns mowed and their gardens weeded, they better get rid of this idea that immigrants are criminals.

I do think there should be regulation, but the idea of making wanting a better life a felony is a crime unto itself.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 09:17 am
We need more than cheap labor; we need sustainable labor.

Allowing illegal immigration and winking at the law is a poor policy.

Moreover, this policy is contributing to quite a few deaths as illegals try to cross some of the harshest terrain in the US.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 05:09 am
I think there needs to be a some commitment, some expressed desire to be a part of this nation, not just a need to make some dollars and go home, in order to be allowed to stay here for longer than two years.

I have not thought this through, it is a gut reaction.

Joe(need more thinking)Nation
0 Replies

cavolina

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 12:20 pm
Immigration
It was once said by a group of sage and sagacious young men gathered in
the desert to molt that "opinions are like ass**les, everybody has one"
This was later expounded upon by that same group of bored stiff
wisemen. They further determined that "every ass**le has an opinion" As
proof of this postulate I will offer mine on the subject of
immigration.

There are two camps in this country on this subject. Thoses who are in
favor of sending every immigrant back where they came from especially
if it was south of the border, and those who would formulate somekind
of guest worker program.

Neither of these addresses the real issue exposed by the immigration
guestion. That issue is jobs. People come here because there are jobs.
Jobs that pay better than in their home country. Perhaps? But jobs none
the less. Jobs that American citizens can and would do? In many cases,
I doubt it!

Living in California's Central Valley for nearly 20 years has given me
at least anacodotal evidence that tending the crops is not on the short
list of jobs for any Gringo. Not even the high school students out for
summer break want to brave the 100+ degree days pruning and trimming
and picking in the groves for, often times, less than minimum wage.

There is no shame in working the fields or cleaning hotel rooms. There
is shame, however, in working for anything other than a living wage.
The shame is on the employer. Paying a worker enough to keep them out
of poverty is not only the right thing to do but it is wholly a
Judeo-Christian value that too many hypocritical Christians seem to
want to overlook.

So what is the solution? Simple! Mandate a living wage(as opposed to the minimum wage). Those here legally and those born here will gravitate to these jobs and those here illegally will be forced to return home. But, there is one other piece to this puzzle. Mandate the harshest penalties to any employer who either doesn't pay a living wage or hires an illegal immigrant.

It must be said that I put the blame for this problem on the employers
who take advantage of the illegal's status and exploit them and the
politicians who have turned a blind eye to the problem. It is not the
immigrant, I am the descendent of immigrants, that I am singling out,
it is those who keep the "open for businees" sign lit that I have a
problem with. Let the immigrant apply for entry legally and I will
welcome them.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 03:35 am
The readers and writers of this thread went over to
this one.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 04:41 am
Re: US Immigration-The Choice:A Wall or a Money Machine.
Joe Nation wrote:
Well, he's a simple man and his super-rich base has told him they need those undocumented workers to keep making money hand over fist and that he, simply, has got to find a way to get it done.

You say that as if making money hand over first is a bad thing. But it isn't -- I'd like to practice it myself if I knew how to.

My answer to illegal immigration is the same as my answer to illegal Marijuana smoking and mushroom munching: Legalize it.

Joe Nation wrote:
I think there needs to be a some commitment, some expressed desire to be a part of this nation, not just a need to make some dollars and go home, in order to be allowed to stay here for longer than two years.

To receive my Green Card, I had to sign that I am going to follow the laws of the US and that I am not eligible for any welfare, medicaid, or similar payments. Needless to say, that doesn't mean I'm excused from paying payroll tax, or any of the other taxes that pay for the welfare and Medicaid bills of Americans. What more of a commitment would you ask of me before I can come?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 04:59 am
Re: Immigration
cavolina wrote:
There is no shame in working the fields or cleaning hotel rooms. There is shame, however, in working for anything other than a living wage.

But those immigrants are working for a living wage, as shown by the fact that they're not dying.

cavolina wrote:
The shame is on the employer. Paying a worker enough to keep them out of poverty is not only the right thing to do but it is wholly a Judeo-Christian value that too many hypocritical Christians seem to want to overlook.

The immigrants' former employers in Latin America were Catholics, and they paid them substantially less than American ranchers do. Are you saying all Latin American employers are hypocritical Christians?

cavolina wrote:
So what is the solution? Simple! Mandate a living wage(as opposed to the minimum wage).

I don't understand the distinction. Please help me understand it.

cavolina wrote:
Mandate the harshest penalties to any employer who either doesn't pay a living wage or hires an illegal immigrant.

Why legislate morality in the workroom? What goes on between two consenting grown-ups is entirely their business.

cavolina wrote:
It must be said that I put the blame for this problem on the employers who take advantage of the illegal's status and exploit them and the politicians who have turned a blind eye to the problem.

What do you mean by "exploited", other than the fact that their wage is lower than what you think they should get? And why would those immigrants prefer to be exploited by American employers over going home? Why would they risk their lives coming to America in the first place? It all makes so little sense to me.
0 Replies

cavolina

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 01:31 pm
Thomas,

It is easy being flip from the seat in front of your computer. It becomes harder when you are working in the blazing heat (I lived in the Central Valley of California for 17 years and the temps in the summer, which began in May were always in the 98 to 106 range) for less than poverty wages and haad to pay a labor contractor just to get the work.

The treatment of laborers in Latin America is an issue for Latin American governments to address. They won't though, because like our government, they are bought by the wealthy. The piece of this that you don't see is that if we let the weatlhy farmers continue to pay these workers as they do, other employers will get the idea (as they have) that they can have cheap labor too.

A living wage is a wage that is enough to keep a family above the nationally published poverty line. I am hazy about the exact number but it is more than these field laborers will ever see under the current regime.

Legislating morality is not the issue. Abiding by the law is. It is not an act of immorality to hire an illegal immigrant, it is an act of lawlessness. As for two consenting adults, an illegal immigrant is not a consenting adult he is a man with a need and no protection. You seem to espouse a laissez-faire attitude about controls of business. You probably don't remember what the Airlines were like before they were deregulated. Or perhaps the trucking industry. It is the role of society to protect its members. Even though these people are not legally members of our society, the treatment they receive is reflective of the treatment we believe we ourselves deserve.

Perhaps, there will come a time (and I sincerely hope you never have to face it) when you will have the option between merely surviving and starvation. If they stay in the countries south of our border, they could starve. If they come here under the current situation, they won't starve, but they won't thrive either.

As for penalizing employers who hire illegals, it seems to me a better way to stem the tide of this ever growing problem. If there are no jobs for them, they won't come! If the jobs are elevated to a monetary level above the poverty line, these will be filled by those who are here legally and by that group of Americans who won't do those jobs.

It is my opinion that we will never solve this problem because the wealthy among us thirst for cheap labor and the source of that labor (without threat of unions or demands for benefits) is the illegal immigrant
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 02:14 am
Missed this the first time around... but Thomas's response is worth revisiting...
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 02:32 am
cavolina wrote:
If the jobs are elevated to a monetary level above the poverty line, these will be filled by those who are here legally and by that group of Americans who won't do those jobs.

Can you provide some example to back your statement?

It didn't work that way in many countries I know, even though these countries have pretty comfortable minimum wages...
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 02:37 am
Hey Francis,
She can't, and would be unlikely to respond, even if she could, since she hasn't posted in over a year. :wink:
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 02:45 am
Oy, Bill, I didn't notice that, thanks!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 03:47 am
Joe Nation wrote:
The readers and writers of this thread went over to
this one.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 19 May, 2007 05:13 am
Oh, right, this one. I left it in the meantime. So much heat, so little light.
0 Replies