biblical prophecies..

brahmin

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 10:51 pm
hmm... wee all know how Abraham was told that his offspring would be as many as the stars above.

we know how it was pridicted years ago that one day the jews would return to their homeland.

it was also predicted in Judaic Literature that the people of greater arabia would one day go on to oppose all the world and progress.

its uncanny how many predictions in the bible have actually come true.

so can someone (esp jewish members) tell me more of these prophecies. Those that have come true and which ones are yet to happen. Has any biclical prophecy gone wrong yet?? Who are all the Biblical (PT/jewish, not secondary semetic) prophets??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,034 • Replies: 34
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 12:43 am
Re: biblical prophecies..
brahmin wrote:
hmm... wee all know how Abraham was told that his offspring would be as many as the stars above.

There are 200 billion stars in our galaxy alone. There are over 200 billion known galaxies. Seems Abraham fell quite a bit short.
0 Replies

LeftCoastBum

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 01:39 am
there is a new show about ramses the 2nd on discovery watch it and then see how you feel about biblical prophecies
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 02:23 am
NickFun wrote:
brahmin wrote:

There are 200 billion stars in our galaxy alone. There are over 200 billion known galaxies. Seems Abraham fell quite a bit short.

we dont see all 200 billion or even a fraction of that with our nekkid eyes.

besides, it sholdnt be taken litterally - as many followers as hair on a camel's back or stars in the sky, dont mean EXACTLY those numbers.
0 Replies

LeftCoastBum

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 02:37 am
well then you have to think then, do what you assume to be fulfilled phrophecies actually mean what they had intended them to be in the bible?
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 02:39 am
i'l agree with you there - that the prophesies werent always spelt out in clear-cut terms but in a vague manner.
even then, its just incredible how many of them have been vindicated.

jewish members and/or OT trained members - can you help me here?
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 07:12 am
Many of the "prophecies" were written after the fact so they were not really prophecies except the one concerning Lucifer which Jesus singularly fulfills.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 08:54 am
reading
0 Replies

queen annie

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 11:47 am
To start from the proper perspective, the idea of 'prophecy' must be examined--as far as what the basic modern understanding of it has come to be compared to what it signified when the bible was written. 2000 years is a long time, and while time effectively and legitimately constantly sculps our language in many ways--if we allow malleable concepts to color our understanding of ancient texts, then we can only come up with garbled contradictions...

Currently, 'prophet' is more or less accepted as synonymous with 'prognosticator.' Fine and good, if you're talking about Jeanne Dixon or Sylvia Browne. I find 'prophet' and 'profit' are more often confused these days, but I digress... Wink

This from my old but sound Smith's Bible Dictionary, (c) by Dr. William Smith (1884):
Quote:
Prophet.
The ordinary Hebrew word for prophet is nabi, derived from a verb signifying, "to bubble forth", like a fountain; hence, the word means one who announces, or pours forth, the declarations of God. The English word comes from the Greek prophetes (profetes), which signifies, in classical Greek, one who speaks for another, especially one who speaks for a god, and so interprets his will to man; hence, its essential meaning is "an interpreter".
The use of the word in its modern sense as "one who predicts" is post-classical. The larger sense of interpretation has not, however, been lost. In fact, the English word has been used in a closer sense. The different meanings, or shades of meanings, in which the abstract noun is employed in Scripture have been drawn out by Locke as follows: "Prophecy comprehends three things: prediction; singing by the dictate of the Spirit; and understanding and explaining the mysterious, hidden sense of Scripture by an immediate illumination and motion of the Spirit."

And it goes on to say:

Quote:
But the prophets were something more than national poets and annalists, preachers of patriotism moral teachers, exponents of the law, pastors and politicians. Their most essential characteristic is that they were instruments of revealing God's will to man, as in other ways, so specially by predicting future events, and in particular, foretelling the incarnation of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the redemption effected by him. We have a series of prophecies which are so applicable to the person and earthly life of Jesus Christ as to be thereby shown to have been designed to apply to him. And, if they were designed to apply to him, prophetical prediction is proved. Objections have been urged. We notice only one, namely, vagueness. It has been said that the prophecies are too darkly and vaguely worded to be proved predictive, by the events which they are alleged to foretell. But to this might be answered.
That God never forces men to believe, but that there is such a union of definiteness and vagueness in the prophecies, as to enable those who are willing to discover the truth, while the willfully blind are not forcibly constrained to see it.
That, had the prophecies been couched in the form of direct declarations, their fulfillment would have, thereby, been rendered impossible or at least capable of frustration.
That the effect of prophecy would have been far less beneficial to believers, as being less adapted to keep them in a state of constant expectation.
That the Messiah of revelation could not be so clearly portrayed in his varied character as God and man, as prophet, priest and king, if he had been the mere "teacher."
That the state of the prophets, at the time of receiving the divine revelation, was, such as necessarily, to make their predictions fragmentary figurative, and abstracted from the relations of time.
That some portions of the prophecies were intended to be of double application, and some portions, to be understood only on their fulfillment.

This is about the best explanation I've come across in my studies, and that covers a pretty wide swathe of available literature, old and new, all flavors...

Let that soak in a bit, but I've got a lot more on this subject if you are still interested. I'll go fetch some info...
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 12:24 pm
i didnt ask for the many meanings of the word "prophet".
0 Replies

queen annie

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 01:23 pm
brahmin wrote:
i didnt ask for the many meanings of the word "prophet".

I only gave one. Initially, didn't you ask:

Quote:
so can someone (esp jewish members) tell me more of these prophecies. Those that have come true and which ones are yet to happen. Has any biclical prophecy gone wrong yet?? Who are all the Biblical (PT/jewish, not secondary semetic) prophets??

So what is your agenda, here? To understand something that you claim you are curious about of which you hope to widen your perspective?

Or are you interested in feeding the false fish of superstition and self-centered geo-political mis-application of God's plan (superimposed) on what man believes are God's priorities and objectives?

But if you don't care to understand what prophecy truly is, from that standpoint, then why ask at all? It's like asking what kind of cell phone Moses used to threaten Pharoah.

I have lots of supported information I could share--just because sharing is a good thing. No agenda, no sermon. I'm confident enough to say such a brash thing on this forum--certainly that alone might at least whet your appetite if it's dinner time. Laughing Just kidding.

But seriously, there are certainly many prophecies that have come true. But I'll bet you money they are not the type that can be googled. In fact, the proof of biblical prophecy quite securely stomps all over christianity, judaism, and even the devil. And it's not elusive nor does it require the cutting and pasting of various unrelated cryptic passages.

The bible doesn't foretell of the UN creating a nation in the wake of WWII.
It has no mention of temple building with bricks and mortar. But it does foretell the rise of religious deception and tyranny, the already in progress 'spring housecleaning' Mother Earth is engaged in. It foretells of the fall of
religion (in the works, too) and the preparation to the new age. It has nothing to do with rapture, WWIII, nuclear holocaust, or anything Hal Lindsey might say it says. The ice caps melting? It's in there. Global warming? It's in there. Christianity? It's in there, but not in the pages dog-eared in theology school.

Jesus coming back? He's been here for a very long time. The mark of the beast? It's been done long ago. The image of the beast? We call our image 'god' because he's the spitting image of ourselves--because we are the beasts, baby. Just like Nebuchadnezzar once was.

It's not about telling the future, it's about understanding and interpretation.

It's not a volunteer position. It is purely by draft and it's always a surprise.

Anyway, it's your call.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 06:19 am
i just wanted to know about biblical prophesies which have come true and even those that havent. also those which may or may not come true in future.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 06:41 am
Thing is, can it be called a prophecy if someobody lives by it word by word in an attempt to make it true? If that person was killed, the prophecy would never come true. What shall we call this type of prophecy? A false prophecy?

And how many of those are actually in the religious texsts?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 08:12 am
brahmin wrote:
i just wanted to know about biblical prophesies which have come true and even those that havent. also those which may or may not come true in future.
Hpw about this exchange between me and timber originating here, regarding the prophesied abandonment of Babylon.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:51 am
How about introducing "Nostradamus" to the mix, which is as likely to be productive a plausible contention.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:55 am
True that, and considerably less elastic exegesis is required to make his prophecies 'true'. (although that is still a boatload of ex-e-ges-is)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 10:50 am
And there is the element of novelty, compared, at least, to the tedious umpteenth repetition of biblical canards . . .
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 11:07 am
Hmm, I forgot to use spell check. Embarrassed

However, the fact remains that Babylon is no longer inhabited.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 11:09 am
Even a stopped clock shows the right time twice a day . . . don't try to fool me, i remember you from the days when you didn't know the word exegesis . . .
0 Replies

queen annie

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 11:28 am
brahmin wrote:

I realize this. And that was what I was trying to explain to you--that 'biblical prophesy' is not just straight up prognostication. That's not the purpose or the method.

But, it doesn't matter--it's your thread, after all. I can still contribute, but I need to make a short list. Be back.
0 Replies