Goa/psychedelic trance & other electronic music!

Monger

Reply Sat 3 May, 2003 04:13 am
If any of youse guys are into electronic music & particularly Goa trance I'd luv to hear your favorite artists/tracks! Here's my favorite group in this genre.. Infected Mushroom They've got downloadable samples of all their songs here.. www.infected-mushroom.net/Released/Php/Released_Menu.php

If you're interested in hearing one of their tracks but this kind of music isn't really your style, this 1:30 mixture of different parts of their song Dancing With Kadafi is a different, more mellow style than their usual.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 17,842 • Replies: 57
No top replies

dishpan

Reply Sat 3 May, 2003 01:06 pm
I really dig the British duo Fila Brazillia. They have a ton of CDs available, all really different showing a progression towards more maturity and technical proficiency yet somehow retaining a good sense of humor. They have also done lots of high profile remixes including one of Radiohead's Climbing The Walls. There is a double CD of remixes of various artist's works. Here is their webpage:

http://www.23online.co.uk/filabrazillia/studio.html

Also, the Dorado and Quango labels are both pretty trustworthy when it comes to groovy, funky, and psychedelic acid jazz/electronica. Lots of soul.
Hope this helps....
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 3 May, 2003 07:20 pm
Can you guys recommend the best songs as well. I'm a tad lazy and don't want to download all the samples.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 01:54 am
Craven, try these tracks by Infected Mushroom..these samples are little portions of the songs all sliced up, so they sound a bit choppy. Just download them with P2P if you like some of it.

Converting Vegetarians (Not my favorite track but very original/weird)
Shakawkaw
Pletzturra
Elation Station
Elevation
Deeply Disturbed
Apogiffa Night (not a bad track, but try the other ones first)

Those be my favorite tracks from their latest 23-track album Converting Vegetarians.
Try Never Never Land from one of their previous albums too.

Another good psychedelic trance group is S.U.N. Project. They used to be a rock band before they went to Goa & tripped on just a bit too much acid methinks, so you can hear a lot of cool electric guitar & such on some of their songs (check out the first 3 samples for this). These Real Audio files are about 4 minutes each..

Dance Of The Witches, Out Of My Brain, 380 Volt, Spaceships & Spacepeople (Electric Universe Rmx), Energia Magica, Deeper And Deeper

EDIT: Track list edited.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 03:21 am
dishpan, I downloaded 3 tracks from Fila Brazillia...excellent chill out music. My favorite of the 3 was 'Lotus Eaters (Moloko remix)'. What're some of their other good songs?

Craven, do ya got any cool electronic tracks youse recommends?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 01:12 am
Monger,

THANKS! I will sample them from a broadband connection.

I really don't have any electronic music to recommend. I have been on a classical binge. That's one of the reasons i appreciate the recommendation, it's hard to get good leads on electronic music.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 10:21 am
Craven, I agree that it's hard to find good electronic music, as there's a lot of crap out there in this genre (especially lots of identical, boring trance). If you're into classical music I think you might like a few of Infected Mushroom's more chilled out songs I posted there. Try 'Pletzturra' & 'Elevation', maybe. Most of IM's music has been more hardcore psycho rave-type music more like the songs I posted from SUN Project (I can recommend lots in this style if you want), but that latest album of theirs experiments with so many different styles and instruments (they've even got a banjo in one of their songs).

Another great group for electronic music is Underworld.
Try their cool track 'Dinosaur Adventure 3D'.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 01:20 pm
Underworld rocks. I have "Moaner"and "Born slippy" but didn't know of that song.

I'm bogged down with court and the FDA right now so if I don't get back to you about your recommendations please bump this topic. I really do want to sample them when I get a chance.
0 Replies

dishpan

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 03:03 pm
I agree that there is plethora of "clone" electronica out there where you tend to hear alot of the same sounds, beats, synth pads, and samples. This kind of stuff reminds me of elevator music for the rave/chic sushi set. The gap between the desktop composers who tend to use the same old libraries of samples (with little to no sonic manipulation) and the really creative producers (who mix samples with actual performances) is quite distant and it is really tough to find the killer stuff without some guidance. Maybe this can help (sorry I can't provide links to the actual songs):

Fila Brazillia (song recommends):
The Bugs Will Bite
Dervish Controller
Here Comes Piss Willie

Here are some links to more artists who are "different" in this genre:

http://www.matadorrecords.com/cornelius/

http://www.slang1.com/main.html

Craven: This is kind of orchestral:

Les Rhythms Digitales - Dark Dancer (couldn't find any links)

more to come!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 04:04 pm
I'm listening to Dancing with Kadafi, it has great parts but also has momenets of cheesy electronic junk. But it's worth it for the violin if nothing else. I'll be putting it on my MP3 walkman.

I skimmed through Dinosaur Adventure 3D and it sounded very average.

Never Ever Land is trippy. I like it!

Iluminaughty is trippy, not as good though.

Deeply Disturbed is pretty good.

I'll try out the rest later.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 09:58 am
I agree with everything you said actually. Dancing With Kadafi is great in parts--but only in parts.
Underworld's Moaner is definitely cool. I hadn't heard that one before..thanks mate.
I'd just bought the Converting Vegetarians album when I posted that list, but a friend was borrowing the CD so I hadn't really heard it yet..I was mostly going off the demos on their website & what other people said. 'Illuminaughty' I'd already taken off my list pretty much as soon as I'd put it there--it's not one of my favorites.

I've just re-edited my Infected Mushroom list to include only the very best, now that I'm more familiar with the album.

Here are some more of my recent favorite electronic songs (a bunch of different styles). If ya listen to some of them let me know what you think.

~ One Man Army - Prodigy (Tom Morello plays cool guitar with Prodigy here)
Prodigy's got a bunch of other pretty good tracks too. Try '
Mindfields' for another example.
~ Megalomaniac - KMFDM
~ Calling All Freaks - The Crystal Method (from the Blade II soundtrack)
~ Disco Science - Mirwais (Snatch soundtrack)
~ Supermoves - Overseer (Snatch sountrack, again)
~ Freestylers - Bombfunk MCs
~ Hummingbirds - Venus Hum
~ March of Death - Zack de la Rocha (of Rage Against the Machine fame) & DJ Shadow
~ Six Days (remix feat. Mos Def) - DJ Shadow
~ Ya Mamma (Push the Tempo) - Fatboy Slim
~ Voodoo People (the Chemical Brothers Remix) - Chemical Brothers
~ You Take My Breath Away - DJ Tiesto
~ Purple Haze - Groove Armada
~ Catch - Kosheen
~ Punk - DJ Ferry Corsten
~ Purple (Freestylers Mix) - DJ Icey
~ Seventeen (mantraxx mix) - Ladytron
~ kyur4 th ich - Linkin Park
~ Blood is Pumpin' - Voodoo & Serano (Blade I or II soundtrack, I'm not sure)
~ Silence (one of the remixes, I'm not sure which one's best) - Sarah McLachlan

Any other electronica enthusiasts out there, well, share the wealth & let us know some of your all-time favorites.. Smile
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 11:33 am
dishpan wrote:
more to come!

Great, dishpan!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 02:09 pm
On that new list you provided I think I only have the first one. And it is indeed a good one.

I'll sample the rest asap.

Oh, I also know return to innocence, and all the prodigy.

Mmm, I have a suggestion, Clockwork Orange I think it's by DJ Tiesto. Off the film's sound track.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 01:09 am
BTW, do you know this one:

Soul Coughing - The Bug
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 01:12 am
Paul Oakenfold has a lot of very popular trance. Others think he is "too mainstream".
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 02:30 am
Paul Oakenfold isn't really my style.
I really liked Clockwork Orange, and The Bug had an interesting reggae vibe. I hadn't heard either one--thanks for the titles, mate! For more good reggae electronica try songs by Groove Armada and also the track Out of Space by Prodigy. Some tracks I like by Groove Armada include Final Shakedown, Purple Haze, I See You Baby (Fatboy Slim Mix), and Superstylin'.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 02:39 am
A song I just downloaded that I really like is the new track by Zack de la Rocha (from Rage Against the Machine) & DJ Shadow -- March of Death. I edited it into my last list yesterday.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 02:39 am
monger,

I can see by your sig that you ahve been to phpbb's forums
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 02:40 am
Who'd ya swipe the sig from? I use several names over there.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 11 May, 2003 02:42 am
Try Storm by Vanessa Mae, it's a vivaldi remix.
0 Replies