Like to Fish? Hunt?

cjhsa

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 01:41 pm
Keep the antis out of Michigan! Join today.

http://www.cwcmi.org/index.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 719 • Replies: 10
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 02:15 pm
" The money will be used to purchase advertising designed to educate Michigan voters as to the serious threat posed by the anti-dove hunting issue."

They want to hunt DOVES??? What do they do with dead doves? Make dove sandwiches?

"What's for dinner tonight honey?"

"Dove"

That's more than I can handle.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 02:21 pm
Dove hunting is practiced in most of the lower 48. Even California has two dove seasons.

Keeping anti-hunting measures off the ballots is my goal.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 02:40 pm
hunting or fishing for food is a good thing. Its when hunters act irresponsibly do I get overwired.
Hunting a "cute little creature" like a dove has nothing in common with the reality of their usefulness as food. Ive eaten dove breast like quail and they are delicious.There is farm raised squab, which is a kind of dove and these are served in very chi chi restaurants as are many cute farm raised game birds. The propoganda that hunting is harmful to our wild friends is merely specious. Data doesnt support the reality. Much land is acquired by hunting groups and license fees to preserve as wild lands and state game lands. If it werent for such programs, many states would be highly paved over already..
I do think that hunting rules policies should be toughened so that lawbreakers should lose their hunting privileges for extended periods, eg:
1 year for a first proven offense
5 to 10 years for repeat serious offenses
10 years to Life-time-bans for people who hurt or kill others in a hunting accident, they cannot be rehabed IMHO.

All hunters should be required to take hunter safety and hunting courtesy classes as a condition of license renewal every 2 or 3 years (sort of like CEUs for a profession)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 02:54 pm
Thanks Farmerman.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 03:06 pm
Altho' hunting holds no interest for me, I've always wanted to go fishing and have never been.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 04:59 pm
I've hunted to live. But I never ate a dove.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 10:27 pm
When you get good, you use a pellet gun and get em in the air. Gotta be fast and aiming is instinctual, like bow shooting, you dont have time to up and aim fully.

In the start of the year Id use a .419 shotgun with bird shot (8 or 9) , As the season progresses, you graduate to .177 pellets in mechnical rifle or pistol with long barrel.
Thats fairer to the doves and doesnt mess up the meat with bits of W carbide shot.

Dove is good eating but you only get the berast meat and , in the late season, when they are plumped up, the legs are fat enough.
My hit rate with apellet gone is probably no better than 50% so the dove has an ag=dvantage. Id never try a marginal shot or one with the doves doing a corn top fly over. These are doves evolving a sport hunter strategy. Only Dick Cheney would fire at tassle height. too many rises inside a cornfield that could cause someone to get hit and even 9 shot can phuck you up.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 07:31 am
eoe wrote:
Altho' hunting holds no interest for me, I've always wanted to go fishing and have never been.

Where abouts are you? What kind of fishing would you like to try? I can probably hook you up with an organization that will mentor you and help you get started.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 08:54 am
Thanks cjhsa, but I have family members who fish regularly. I could hook up with them if I reeeeeaaly wanted to and someday, I probably will.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 09:00 am
"...hook up..." Wink
0 Replies