Nationalism: The Other Religion?

Chumly

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 11:35 pm
It seems clear that nationalism, in the broader sense, has many if not all the hallmarks of popular religions, and as such despite protestation to the contrary, not only can there never be a separation of church and state but most to the point nationalism and it's artifices are the equivalent of a religion.

I decided to put this in Spirituality & Religion as I wanted to see how it would pan out if given the infamous S&R viewpoints, instead of the more shopworn political perspectives.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,452 • Replies: 38
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 11:42 pm
I suppose, it depens on how you interpret 'nationalism'.

It's IMHO an ideology based on the premise that the individual's loyalty and devotion to the nation-state surpass other individual or group interests.

So it really might be a surrogate for s.o.'s religion but mostly, I think, it's something running parallel.
(The 19th century is generally called "the century of nationalism" in Europe - no decline of religions at all.)
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 11:51 pm
Nations are nature's basic system for eliminating bad political ideas.

The commie empire collapsed because mid to upper level gebeshniki and Russian pols were able to walk around in German shopping malls and stadtmittel shopping areas and see ordinary Germans buying things which they, the overlords of the commie world could not buy or own.

Suppose however that the whole world had gone communist in 45 or 46, i.e. suppose that FDR had died in 40 and Henry Wallace had taken over as president of the US. There would have been no basis for comparison; nobody would have had a way to know there were better ways to live and the human race might easily have gone extinct.

Likewise Detroit had gone utterly brain-dead by the mid 70s and early eighties and it took a major infusion of Japanese cars into America to break the logjam. We could easily have gone back to horses and mules had Detroit gone on the way they were in 82 - 85.

One-world government is a BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD idea.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 11:55 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I suppose, it depens on how you interpret 'nationalism'.

It's IMHO an ideology based on the premise that the individual's loyalty and devotion to the nation-state surpass other individual or group interests.

So it really might be a surrogate for s.o.'s religion but mostly, I think, it's something running parallel.
(The 19th century is generally called "the century of nationalism" in Europe - no decline of religions at all.)
I brought this up in part because some of the religious posters that I have chatted appear to use similar oblique rationalizations to justify their nationalist stance as they do to justify their religious stance. I expanded on that observation to say that nationalism, in the broader sense has a certain equivalency to a religion.

I do not mean the governmental formalized nationalistic perspective as much as I mean people's emotionalism, beliefs and rationalizations towards nationalism and religion being cut from the same cloth.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 12:00 am
I wasn't referring to anything else.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 12:04 am
Ah, interesting, I see your point.

Also I made a very modest pork joke in the title Smile
"Pork: The Other White Meat?"
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 12:15 am
Correct, Chum. I see you took my gustatorial advice. Smile

As I posted elsewhere:

Anyone who doesn't think nationalism is a religion should try publicly burning their nation's flag.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 12:15 am
Here are some definitions of nationalism that would suggest parallels to religion and are on point (more or less) to my assertions:

An individual's internalization of the set of beliefs and values expressing love, pride and identification with a given nation state. Ritual and symbols are important tools in fostering nationalism among the citizenry.

Loyalty and devotion to a nation or ethnic group that places emphasis on promoting the interests, cultural and social values, or religion of one group above all others.

Pride in one's country or culture, often excessive in nature.

The advocacy of the utmost political advancement of one's nation or people, without regard to the consequences, in promoting hostility and competition, discrimination and vilification. See fundamentalism.

The doctrine that your national culture and interests are superior to any other.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&lr=&oi=defmore&defl=en&q=define:nationalism
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 12:17 am
Right you are Neo!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 12:34 am
neologist wrote:

Anyone who doesn't think nationalism is a religion should try publicly burning their nation's flag.

You should keep in mind that many states are nations in some sense, but there are a lot of nations which are not fully (sovereign) states.

Besides, burning a nations (state's) flag isn't everywhere such a dilemna as e.g. in the USA. :wink:
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 12:43 am
Meaning they are not as fully autonomous and hence not as nationalistic?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 12:46 am
No, meaning that nationalism isn't to be narrowed to states but to nations.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 12:48 am
Nations like in 'Indian nations', the various nations in the former USSR, former Yugoslavia, Bretonic nationalism in France ... anything outside state-focused nationalism.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 02:30 pm
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 02:40 pm
Walter does not perhaps see it that way. He assess nations, nationalism, states, nation-states, and religion by different sets of criteria. I am not sure I understand his delineations Sad
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 09:19 pm
Nationalism is definitely similar to religion in many ways and I find it difficult to understand the difference between nationalism and racism or even xenophobia. It certainly has the potential for extreme damage (see Hitler, A.)

At the very least nationalism is anti-humanist.

It's hard to resist though....who doesn't feel something when your countryman wins an Olympic medal?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 09:23 pm
I wonder if that implies it's tied to our baser drives?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 09:25 pm
I reckon so Chumly. Safety in numbers.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 12:48 am
Chumly,

Your question implies that you may already be aware of Krishnamurti's comparison of nationalism with organised religion. Heres a link to his UN talk.

http://www.krishnamurtiaustralia.org/articles/world_peace.htm
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 01:00 am
I wasn't and thanks much!
0 Replies