Book Review vs Book Report

sozobe

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 08:53 pm
Can you give the precise assignment, or as precisely as you can? I'm a bit confused, after reading this, what is being asked for...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 08:57 pm
By the way, when I've assigned stuff like this, it's been for one real reason -- to make sure people actually read what they're supposed to read! I'd first look for evidence that they actually read it, and then go to finer points of whether they seemed to get the material, and then finally their analysis of it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 08:58 pm
(As in, if you actually read it, you're probably already fine. You just have to talk about the fact that you read it convincingly and grammatically.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:01 pm
Thanks for the beer (and galub jumun), Dag.

Thanks for the clarification, Lion, but I really only care about what my teacher wants from me - not the whohas you speak of.

Soz - the assignment is this: Select 3 elements which you feel contribute to the success of CPE and CPESS (the schools Meier started). Indicate why you believe these elements contribute to the success of the schools. Also, show specifically how these elements were operationalized and practiced by the staff. He wants 4-5 pages, double-spaced. other notes indicate that we are supposed to begin with a hook and include what we've learned about the theories and philosophies of education and the issues of education (sorry, brain is losing all capacity for thought)

He ranted for a half hour that we were NOT to write a summary paper. And he told us not to use the first person.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:01 pm
How's this new tact?

Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time. - Winston Churchill, 1947

In contrast to the over-sized idealist schools of New York city, a new type of school with progressive philosphy and a student- and community-centered curriculum was needed. Deborah Meier believed in using the progressive theory to bring students' home life into the classroom and starting a system wide school reform based on the democratic process to help produce effective citizens. In the schools she founded, Central Park East and Central Park East Secondary School, she wanted to get away from the idealist philosophies of the massive public schools of mainstream New York city and build a show place for democracy in action using a student-centered progressive approach.
Though often rambling and repetitive, Meier writes about her success in her endeavor to create progressive schools which instill strong democratic skills and independent thinking. This paper will look at how the smallness of CPE and CPESS makes for a manageable progressive democratic school, how mutual respect facilitates the democratic process, and how the public school system allows for democracy through equal accessibility.

Small Schools

"...smallness makes democracy feasible in schools, and without democracy we won't be able to create the kind of profound rethinking the times demand"(110). Communal decision making, an important factor in any healthy democracy, is easier to achieve with small numbers of people. When crisis occur, the whole school can meet to discuss the issue at hand as they did after the Rodney King beating (62). The small school format is one that works well for students of all ages. Many school systems adopt this approach in times of wealth and plenty, but Meier took this tact in the midst of a 1974 crisis in the New York City public school system.

Smallness makes for an agile system in which changes can be easily implemented. If a part of curriculum isn't working, it doesn't take an administrative committy 6 months to work out a new curriculum, it just takes setting aside a few hours for teachers to discuss the problem and fix it, applying the new curriculum the next day (110). This is a necessity for experimental schools where students' futures depend on what they are taught today and tomorrow.

Progressive theory depends, in part, on a connection between children's lives at school and at home. In a small school, home life can be incorporated into curriculum through biographical projects and guest speakers from the community. This approach helps the student feel safe with these teacher-adults so that they can focus on learning. Parents feel they can access their kids and community leaders feel like they have a view into the school.

In the small classroom, low teacher-student ratios allow teachers to know their students. This more intimate knowledge would allow teachers to apply individual guidance and to assess students' progress without needing to use more standard testing techniques. Meiers didn't discuss classroom management in much detail in her book, but one would think that smaller numbers of students would make classroom management easier. Small class size is imperative when using progressive teaching methods due to it's permissive and flexible approach.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:07 pm
OK, your description of the assignment gave me serious grad-school flashbacks. Not totally good ones, either.

Love starting it out with the Churchill quote.

I think in your first sentence you need a bit more about what was wrong with the idealist schools besides being oversized -- WHY Meier's school was needed.

You can also just eliminate the first sentence, start with "Deborah Meier believed..."

<flashbacks... flashbacks...>

Man, if I knew where it was, I'd haul out my paper on Meier and scan and send.

I think you totally have the right idea with this one, anyway. You can do it!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:09 pm
Thanks a million Soz!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:22 pm
Good luck with it, k! I haven't a doubt in the world that you can do it, too!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:28 pm
thanks MsOlga....
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:43 pm
By George, I think she's got it! Really, littlek, that sounds like just the right blend of synopsis and analysis! Razz
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:47 pm
Thanks Stray!

Still plugging away. Seems I know more about the public school issue than mutual respect and smallness - or at least I feel she didn't address it wellenough and can expound on that.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:55 pm
You're rolling now! I bet you'll be finished with that paper in plenty of time!

But don't work too hard! Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 10:16 pm
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 10:18 pm
I need more work on the last 2 paragraphs, but It's ok for tonight....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 06:15 am
Just read your last draft, k. Interesting that these ideas are being considered again. I worked in a small (public) community school (10 teachers, 100 kids) quite a few years ago. Democratic decision making (endless meetings!), small classes, more personal relationships between teachers & students .... It was a very demanding but satisfying 6 years!

Good luck with your next draft. You're getting there! Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 06:47 pm
This book is about a school started in 1974. The first edition was in the 80s, I think. Our schools have all gone a little more in that progressive direction, but the disparity in school funding is shameful.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 10:37 pm
Things are looking good, littlek! Btw, I also love the Churchill quote! Razz
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 12:41 am
sozobe wrote:
By the way, when I've assigned stuff like this, it's been for one real reason -- to make sure people actually read what they're supposed to read!

Exactly: when I was teaching at univeristy and noticed that were vaguely talking about the ideas written in a book, I asked them to write/give a book review ... and to compare that with the book by XXX = leading them where I wanted them to be :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 12:45 am
Yes, looks really quite good, littlek!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 06:18 am
littlek wrote:
This book is about a school started in 1974. The first edition was in the 80s, I think. Our schools have all gone a little more in that progressive direction, but the disparity in school funding is shameful.

The concerns about abysmal levels of public school funding appear to be universal ones, k. It's the same here in Oz. Absolutely disgraceful. And as for progressive schools: long gone, sadly. Considered something of an "experiment" these days.

Your paper's looking good! Very Happy
0 Replies