Cyclone Larry - Hingehead Are You Okay?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 09:06 am
Quote:
Last Update: Tuesday, March 21, 2006. 0:46am (AEDT)

Cyclone leaves hundreds homeless

Hundreds of residents in far north Queensland remain homeless and thousands are without power and water after Cyclone Larry devastated the region.

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200603/r77297_220082.jpg
Innisfail: Hundreds of houses have been destroyed by the cyclone.

The cyclone has caused few injuries but more than half of the homes in Innisfail have been destroyed.

Cairns police Acting Inspector Mike Keating says it is a horrendous sight, with houses reduced to rubble.

He says residents on the Atherton Tablelands are also suffering.

"They are without power and that means they don't have water or sewage," he said.

Cyclone Larry, which crossed the coast as a category 5 cyclone yesterday morning, has been downgraded to category 1 and is moving inland.

A flood warning from Innisfail to Townsville remains in force.

Innisfail problems

The Counter Disaster and Rescue Service says emergency crews are still having problems getting access to the Innisfail region.

Emergency services personnel are currently travelling from Cairns and Townsville to help residents.

Spokesman Frank Pagano says the main road is blocked in both directions, but other options are being considered.

"Our aim is to check out and open the rail system as soon as possible, and the airport at Innisfail is open for emergency services workers," he said.

"We have been working with Defence in relation to aerial deployment and black hawks. Last report they were in Hughenden ready to be deployed."

Queensland Premier Peter Beattie says authorities in Innisfail are trying to clear the local showground for a helicopter landing site.

Mr Beattie also says generators are being dispatched, along with 2,000 tarpaulins from Brisbane.

But Independent federal MP Bob Katter says more emergency help is needed, especially in Innisfail.

"We're into our 24th hour of this crisis and we have still only got a couple of tarpaulins here," he said.

"The people here have been working around the clock. Some have had no sleep in the 48 hours, so we need help and assistance to put those tarpaulins up."

Mr Beattie says help is on the way, but patience is needed.

"It's really bashed and belted, poor old Innisfail, so we need to get there to give them all the support we can," he said.

"But I just appeal to people to be patient, we will do everything we can to help them and we'll move as quickly as we can to help them, but we're going to have a number of very frustrating days for everybody."

Meanwhile, the mayor of the Herberton Shire, west of Cairns, is appealing for a generator for the local hospital.

It is currently running by candlelight.

Tourists evacuated

Many tourists were caught off guard by the cyclone.

At Tully, south of Cairns, Red Cross worker Noelene Byrne helped to evacuate dozens of young backpackers.

Many were staying at a local caravan park.

"They needed to be evacuated, so we ended up with about 70 young overseas tourists," she said.

"All of a sudden they find something like this happening, they were frightened."

Some schools to reopen

The cyclone forced the closure of 156 state schools on Monday.

The state's Education Minister, Rod Welford, says most will reopen today.

"Many students in the outlying areas will still have difficulty getting to school through road closures and other problems of access," he said.

"Schools in the Atherton, Cairns, Cardwell, Croydon, Eacham, Etheridge, Herberton, Johnstone, Mareeba and Yarrabah will still be closed."
Source
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 09:15 am
From the frontpage of The Australian (Tuesday March 21):

http://i1.tinypic.com/ru79u0.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 09:16 am
From Page 4

http://i1.tinypic.com/ru7c76.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 09:16 am
From Page 5

http://i1.tinypic.com/ru7ckw.jpg
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 02:17 pm
Thanks to the Australian A2Kers for checking in. A lot of us are concerned about what's happening. Hope everyone's safe and hope more check in to let us know they are okay.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 02:51 pm
Most Oz A2kers live a very long way from the cyclones....so far we know of only one who was very close. The place is as big as the USA....for me, I am further away than Niagara Falls is from Florida...so really, don't be worried about us as a group!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 04:49 pm
Dlowan--

If you have time to spare, you might worry about my uncertain grasp of Australian geography.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 05:35 pm
Terrible just terrible I have a few friends still there, they are all ok
Im glad I came back home to NZ mind you Innisfail was hit more than Cairns...howerever that was one thing that used to freak me out was the 'Cyclone' potential.....
just before Cyclone season was upon us I used to watch people in their yards de-nutting the palm trees...

Imagine projectiles of coconuts coming at you!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 07:42 pm
Hello everyone

Power just came back on in our part of Cairns (it went off at 4am Monday morning while we watching Larry's progress on the Bureau of Meteorology site).

Our beautiful gardens are trashed but the house and the fur kids are fine.

As Kiwichic says, Innisfail was where Larry crossed the coast and we were on the outer edge of the destructive core.

Was pretty freaky for about three hours - I've only just got back from our first venture onto the road into Cairns central - little damage there but our suburb, which is well-treed and has several tracts of native bush in it, is all fallen trees, denuded branch and snapped trunks.

Very few houses lost rooves but there is the constant sound of chainsaws and, until just now, petrol driven generators. My chainsaw is electric so it's my turn now.

Amazingly still no reports of loss of life, or even injury worse than fractures, but a lot of livelihoods destroyed - 90% of the banana crop 60% of the sugar cane, and one guy who's introduced heaps of exotic tropical fruits to the region had his entire 40 acre nursery wiped out.

Thanks for all the well wishing, most appreciated.

Must go now, lots of work to do clearing up, restocking the fridge and charging batteries while we wait to see what Woti does.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 07:46 pm
Glad to see you, hingehead.

Never thought of you as a chainsaw kinda dude. <nods> You always learn such interesting things about people in emergencies.

Glad you're safe.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 07:46 pm
Glad to hear from you Hinge!
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 07:47 pm
Thanks for letting everyone know Hinge
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 07:48 pm
glad to hear your okay, good luck with the next one
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 07:54 pm
Good to hear that you fared well.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 07:58 pm
Looking pretty eery! Huge amount of damage.

I'm due to head that way in mid-May - with the delinquent 80 y o aunt.

They've got 2 months to get the place in some semblance of order for me!

Just checked on the place I'm due to stay (Lilybank) - only minor damage, but almost no power, phones, etc.

Glad you're OK - hinge....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 09:00 pm
Phew.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 10:31 pm
Glad you are all right, Hinge.

Some of those interviews with the banana-growers who have lost everything were heartbreaking. When you think of not just them, but the workers, transport drivers, suppliers, townspeople, etc who totally depend on them, you realise just what those flattened trees mean.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 10:58 pm
Thanks, hingehead and glad that you are unhurt and safe.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 01:37 am
BBB
bm
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 06:37 am
Hingehead--

Glad your damage wasn't worse.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies