littlek

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 08:18 pm
What can't we live without, even for a few days? Not food, not oil, not (sorry John Lennon) love. What we need is water. And it better be relatively clean if we want to live long.

Radio host, Tom Ashbrook ( OnPoint ), and his guest Fred Pearce ("When the Rivers Run Dry: Water - The Defining Crisis of the Twenty-First Century") were discussing a point that has long been near and dear to my heart: the water issues facing the world today and into the near future.

As most of you will know, the earth doesn't lose or gain water - it recycles it. Water in the atmosphere precipitates as rain-snow-sleet and then it absorbs-evaporates-runs off. We can drink from springs and wells (ground water), but most cities and large towns can't be serviced in this way because of the density of the population, hence the resevoirs which surround them. And, most of our riverways are polluted from human or animal sewage and from silty or chemical ladden farmland runoff. Unfortunately, water doesn't fall evenly on all surfaces of the earth. We have water in abundance in some of the remotest places (the arctic, antarctic, glacier covered mountains), but not in some of the most populated areas (India, California, Mexico City).

Fred Pearce postulates that India will run out of water in 10 years. The monsoons will still come to give them rain once a year, but their ground water is nearly gone. He travelled to major rivers across the globe to find many didn't reach their deltas. Most shrivelled up way before they reached the ocean. The atlas on your shelf provides a false image. We levi rivers, we dam them, we run divert them. He speaks of the Yellow River in China which has been levi'd for hundreds of years. It has risen to dozens of feet above it's original banks. You can stand at the tops of the levis and look down on what used to be fertile floodplains, naturally fertilized by the annual floods.

There are simple ways to help conserve water, not all are as obvious as shortening shower time. Apparently, coffee production uses huge amounts of water and cotton is a very thirsty crop. I want to quit coffee all over again and start buying more hemp and flax and less cotton.....

....More to come....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 778 • Replies: 11
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 08:39 pm
two of the most consumptive users are power plant cycle cooling and paper production.

Towing huge icebergs from the Arctic or Antarctic may be real options soon.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 08:44 pm
It truly is scary and is something I thing of often myself.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 09:00 pm
Farmer - what icebergs? How long will we have enough to spare? What affect would mining them have on the ice cover and it's reflective effect? A guy from Peurto Rico called in and told of how his family collected rainwater, off their tin roof, for drinking. He moved to nyc and still does it. Some farmers in India collect rains and fill water holes or even well holes..... small things done anywhere they can be done could help a lot.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 09:23 pm
I don't know if it's feasible but I never understood why we don't force replenishment of aquifers. We pump water out of them when we need it but then when we get rain it runs off of streets and building into storm drains that channel it directly into bodies of surface water - many of which are rivers that dump it out to sea. Why not pump it back into the ground (filtered if necessary..) and replenish the aquifers???
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 09:33 pm
Why not just hold the rain water and skip the tricky replenishing step?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 09:41 pm
listening..
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 09:42 pm
Hey, osso, nice to see ya!

Listen to what?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 09:44 pm
How would you store it? Leaving it in an open body (lakes, resevoirs, etc..) allows it to evaporate, pick up pollutants from agricultural run-off and sucha nd the exposure to air allows for a lot of additional baccterial growth. Bottling millions of gallons of water and storing it doens't seem practical (more buildings and paving, etc..). Why not put it right back into nature's own storage system?

I use rain barrels on my downspouts to collect water to use in the yard and the 3 of them overflow in a good rainstorm. I could easily fill 40 or 50 more of them during the spring/summer/fall months. That's a lot of water to store.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 09:52 pm
Fishin - Belmont has an underground water reserve. Perhaps that? I think it was lined with cement or stone.....?

Maybe impractical now, but maybe not in the future.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 12:08 am
This is quite topical over here at the moment, as the water authority for the London area has just imposed a hosepipe ban, effective from the end of March!!

Yes..London! Apparently, the greater London area has received less rainfall (over the past year) than MADRID!

The UK receives ample rainfall, but it is all in the north and north west of our little island. Plans are now afoot, to build a bloody great network of pipes in order to pump the water to areas where it is needed. Why they hadn't done this years ago, is beyond me.

I like the Aussie approach to saving water. In an effort to minimise loo flushing, they have appeals on TV and in newspapers, with catchy slogans.

My favourite is one for when it is appropriate to flush the loo..... slogan "If it's yellow, it's mellow, if it's brown flush it down"

Good old Oz...... bugger refinement and sensitivity. Go for the jugular with some plain talking. Love it!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 07:52 pm
LordE - seems like a manageable thing to do in England - a smallish landmass. I guess it could work anywhere, actually. We already have massive pipe systems for oil in various places.

I grew up with that potty slogan. Not just for Aussies ya know.
0 Replies