[answered] Need Avatar posting help

Gala

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 12:44 pm
Alas, I have tried many times on different occasions to post an avatar, but the message that pops up says: must not be larger than 6kb (or something like that). I know how post an avatar from the existing collection, but I want to insert something different-- Could someone send instructions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,158 • Replies: 21
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 02:35 pm
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47

Gala, I think you'll find answers in this thread under Forum Help. If you still have trouble, come back and tell us.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 04:12 pm
another option would be to post the image here, and one of the tech-savvy types can resize it for you.

how to post an image on A2k:
    go to http://www.imageshack.us/ (don't worry, its free) hit the "browse" button and select the image from your hard drive hit the "host it" button copy the complete "Hotlink for forums (1)" URL paste the URL into a post submit
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 11:44 am
Thanks to the both of you for responding. osso, I have looked at the forum avatar tutorial and I'm not getting it.

Regis, I get to the part where I submit the picture and it tells me it needs to be formatted in jpg, which I have done.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 02:52 pm
can you post the URL you get from imageshack here anyway?

(i might be to finagle it...)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 03:02 pm
Hepzibah has a similar thread going on right now, Gala, and several people there pointed out that Photobucket is easier for many beginners at this than ImageShack is.

..Not that Region shouldn't help you do this avatar, but in case you want to switch avatars often in the future.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 04:18 pm
Hi Gala...I'm the type of person who may not be doing it exactly the "right" way, but if it works, I'm cool with that.

This is how I do it, like with my current one....

I'll look in images in Google or Yahoo, searching for let's say, Agent 99.

I'll just look for the jpegs that are near enough to 6kb, not over maybe 10 or so, and also one's that the pixels are fairly close to the limit of 100 high by 90 wide.

When I find one I like, I save it on my hard drive....then I'll just edit the picture by cropping until it's 100x90...by that time the kb are usually 6 or under.

Finally, I'll cut go back to my profile and choose that picture off my hard drive when I click browse.

Does that help?
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 07:29 pm
Okay, Regis, thanks for the offer but I want to see if I can do it myself, and so far, I cannot. I went into image shack and have done as instructed, even sized it to Avatar but when I submit it in able2know it tells me it has to be a jpg, and it is a jpg.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 07:33 pm
Gala, I am proud of you and the fact that you want to see if you can do it yourself.

You have grit.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 07:38 pm
Chai Tea, I follow you as far as the searching, but the only images I find are k not kb.

Where are you doing the editing? i don't have Photoshop, or am aware of any place on my computer to do the reduction.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 07:39 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Gala, I am proud of you and the fact that you want to see if you can do it yourself.

You have grit.

gus, I just hope this puts me on your short-list for a wife.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 09:22 pm
oh sorry, kb or k, same difference...

after saving on my hard drive, when I open it up, it opens in Microsoft Photo Editor, where I can crop it to an appropriate size.

The avatar I have now I think was all the way down to her chest, and background above her head and to the left and right. When I cropped enough away, it was well under 6k
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 09:23 pm
Oh, sorry again, I'll just leave you two love birds alone.

<tip toes out>
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 09:28 pm
Gala wrote:
Chai Tea, I follow you as far as the searching, but the only images I find are k not kb.

Where are you doing the editing? i don't have Photoshop, or am aware of any place on my computer to do the reduction.

If you don't have any other photo editing software, you can use Microsoft Paint which you should have to change the size by percentage. You could also download one of the free programs such as Irfanview or Picasa.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 11:58 am
ossobuco wrote:
Hepzibah has a similar thread going on right now, Gala, and several people there pointed out that Photobucket is easier for many beginners at this than ImageShack is.

..Not that Region shouldn't help you do this avatar, but in case you want to switch avatars often in the future.

osso, thanks for this, but I can't find the Hepzibah thread, I even scrolled through all the threads available and couldn't find her name-- I am just a near computer failure.

I'm worried this may jeapordize my chances with gus.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 12:01 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Gala wrote:

If you don't have any other photo editing software, you can use Microsoft Paint which you should have to change the size by percentage. You could also download one of the free programs such as Irfanview or Picasa.

Thanks for posting this, Mr. Shatner, native of Canada. I don't have time at the moment but when I return I'll play Paint and look at the two programs you posted.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 12:03 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
oh sorry, kb or k, same difference...

after saving on my hard drive, when I open it up, it opens in Microsoft Photo Editor, where I can crop it to an appropriate size.

The avatar I have now I think was all the way down to her chest, and background above her head and to the left and right. When I cropped enough away, it was well under 6k

Chai Tea, good, good. when I return I will play around with it. I know Photoshop so I have a feeling there are some similarities in Microsoft.

Perhaps my chances with gus have been elevated again.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 12:09 pm
whew
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 05:54 pm
Oh, this is truly a fine moment.

On the advice of Intrepid and Chai Tea I ended up using Paint because I don't have Microsoft Photo Editor, but, but, but, Chai Tea, the tips on finding the size close to 6kb and then adjusting width and height, etc. were invaluable.

Thank you one and all. I am weepy with gratitude, as I not only have an Avatar identity, I may marry gus just yet.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 05:59 pm
Maybe this image isn't swampy enough?

Thanks Regis, mighty kind of you to offer you help and those links, I really appreciate it.
0 Replies