Is school the best place for religion?

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 09:00 am
An interesting debate in a paper today.

Why are kids subjected to such things.
Surely they can get moral codes form elsewhere and evntually decide for themselves their own morals and beliefs.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,054 • Replies: 19
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 09:02 am
Yes, I'm sure it was interesting debate, would you care to share it with us?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 09:04 am
material girl wrote:
An interesting debate in a paper today.

Why are kids subjected to such things.
Surely they can get moral codes form elsewhere and evntually decide for themselves their own morals and beliefs.
It is the parents' responsibility, for sure.
dyslexia wrote:
Yes, I'm sure it was interesting debate, would you care to share it with us?
Yeah, what you said.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 09:08 am
I didnt read it so I cant share it.
I thought we could discuss it here.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 09:15 am
I get it now MG. I think we may have been confused by you opening with a reference to an article and thought you wanted to discuss the article.

Anyway, I'd go with Neo on this one. It is the parent's responsibility to provide moral guidance to their children, not the school's.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 09:25 am
hoorah, I think so too.There oesnt seem to be that much of it from what Ive heard.

My friend has a 7 year old kid(she is lovely and has been bought up very well).
We were discussing marriage the other day(in general, we are not lesbians, not that there would be anything wrong with that if we were) and she said 'everybody breaks up eventually'.Me and her mum were stunned!! I can only imagine its her freinds at school filling her head with such nonsense that made her come out with that.

Shows what kind of people her friends parenst are and what they think of the sanctity of marriage.
It was very upsetting to hear.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 09:45 am
material girl wrote:
I didnt read it so I cant share it.
I thought we could discuss it here.
nice one mg

keep 'em guessin' girl
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 09:50 am
Whats with the insults!!!

I just thought it would get people minds thinking and people would put forth their opinions.

Its happened a few thousand times before!!!
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 09:57 am
material girl wrote:
Whats with the insults!!!
No insults

You said you read an interesting article and would like to discuss it. Unfortunately no one else has and you didnt link it. Dys pointed this out. Once he knows what he's talking about (and sometimes when he doesnt) he's a great debater.

but on the general point, religion has no place in school. Mosque synagogue or church imo.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 10:05 am
I didnt say Id read it and I cant link it.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 10:10 am
ok it was just a general question...

well no. There is no place in a state school for children to be indoctrinated into superstitious pernicious cults, no matter what they call themselves. Its child abuse and should be punished with very long gaol sentences.
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 10:19 am
Dear God.

-MG was browsing through her daily paper shortly before her post and read an interesting headline.
-She assumed by the headline what the article itself would be about, thus the statement, "interesting debate in a paper today."
-While she did observe the headline, she did not read it; just as, I am sure, many of us are guilty of (surpassing quality newspaper articles, perhaps for the funnies).
-The headline, nonetheless, clicked in her head as something intriguing so that once she did eventually log onto A2K, she posted a topic wanting our thoughts on the headline of the article she did not read.
-We now understand this and will respond in a fashionable late matter to the original post.

Shocked

MG,

I think it is the parents'/guardians' responsibilities to at least educate the child that they have the right to their varied opinions, if nothing else. My mother neither imposed upon me nor encouraged wandering ideals, though I do wish she had done the latter. Alas, theere will be - regardless of parental goodness - influence of outside sources. The media, news, and local figures (such as those in school) all will imprint something into their minds. But I think it begins at home, with the parent giving the child the courage to either accept or denounce those suggestions.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 10:25 am
Sanctuary, thank you for clearing up this muddled thread.

I can see by your avatar which I believe is by Waterhouse that you are a person of good taste.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 12:22 pm
So the question is should we teach religion in public schools?

That depends.

I would say there is nothing wrong with teaching, say, the Muslim religion, considering the circumstances in the world today. But I think the religion should be taught more in the historical context.

I am against the teaching of any religion with the purpose of converting the students or insulting other religions. This is wrong and should not be allowed.
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 12:39 pm
Personally speaking, I think I'd rather see some form of ethics class take over from traditional R.E in which kids could be taught tolerance, respect and interest in the views of others, creating a thirst for knowledge in those that want to branch out and a healthy disposition of others for those that are content. We could really do with teaching kids more stuff about "life" and less about the specifics of any one religion. IMO.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 12:47 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
There is no place in a state school for children to be indoctrinated into superstitious pernicious cults, no matter what they call themselves. Its child abuse and should be punished with very long gaol sentences.

This merits repetition.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 01:17 pm
Setanta wrote:
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
There is no place in a state school for children to be indoctrinated into superstitious pernicious cults, no matter what they call themselves. Its child abuse and should be punished with very long gaol sentences.

This merits repetition.
Very Happy
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 01:19 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:

This merits repetition.
Very Happy
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 01:20 pm
ok steady on chaps
0 Replies

Ethmer

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 02:08 am
Yes! It's called Sunday School!

As for public schools, no, religion should not be taught therein.
0 Replies