Shoppers can pay by fingerprint

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 10:56 am
Shoppers can pay by fingerprint

Supermarket customers are being offered the chance to pay for their shopping by using a fingerprint.

Three Co-op stores in the Oxford area are offering the service, which is said to be the first of its kind in Europe.

It means shoppers do not need to carry cash or cards to the supermarket and need not remember chip-and-pin numbers.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41414000/jpg/_41414678_scan_getty203l.jpg
The fingerprint system may not work for builders and surgeons

"Pay and Touch" allows customers to have a finger scan linked to their bank details so payment for goods can be taken directly from accounts.

The payment system is already in use in the US where nearly 2.5m shoppers have signed up.

It is free to use for customers, who can register at home on the internet or at the participating stores.

Worn-down fingerprints

A Midcounties Co-operative supermarket spokesman told the BBC: "It offers us a slight edge over the competition.

"It's a very tough retail world and anything we can do to encourage more people to shop with us gives us a commercial benefit."

Fingerprint recognition is seen as generally very reliable but it is unclear if many retailers will be willing to pay for the technology so soon after the introduction of chip-and-pin.

Builders could have problems because the manual work wears down their fingerprints and surgeons face similar problems because of all the hand-washing they do.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfordshire/4784744.stm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,375 • Replies: 10
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 09:54 am
Just get you a gelatin finger.
0 Replies

southerngentleman

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 01:03 pm
See, I wonder if you COULD get away with some sort of prosthetic device!
I'm sure that ya'll have seen Gone in Sixty Seconds...when they are about to gear up and steal the 60 some-odd cars they need for the evening, they replace their fingerprints with those of Elvis, etc, using a special pad on their fingers. So theoretically you could gather fingerprints of other people, place those little silicon pads on your fingers and let someone else pay for your shopping!

I suppose there are downsides to every technology that will come along.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 02:16 pm
They've demonstrated trivial methods of bypassing common finger-print readers.

Two-factor identification is become the gold-standard of security.

Security is something you know, something you have, and/or something you are.

An ATM card is one example; you have to have both the card and the PIN number.

These fingerprint readers are an attempt to over-simplify.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 02:20 pm
That's nothing! I've been giving the finger to my creditors for decades now!

I'm a man ahead of my time!
0 Replies

southerngentleman

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 02:48 pm
Haha! I love it!

Brilliant scheme! Two fingers up in the air to the creditors!

I suppose that you would have to have a piece of ID (govt issued) that would match some sort of secure datebase as an additional measure. Even that, however could easily be manipulated.
0 Replies

southerngentleman

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 03:33 pm
See...and when you go to IKEA these days to spend "...more than a couple of hours" you can buy that complete kitchen with your fingerprint.

This IKEA sounds sick. Now, I did my time with the IKEA student apartment bit...but a whole country of IKEA worshipers...that could get scarey!

Yet somehow, I think its kinda funny Smile

KEA Opening Behemoth Beijing Store: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,191158,00.html Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 03:45 pm
A lot of infos about "Pay by Touch" is to be found at the Biometric Payments Blog.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:59 pm
i remember the nuns telling us that something like this is the mark of the devil and the antichrist is among us.

just sayin'
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 08:14 pm
http://www.freebiefix.com/here.gif
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 04:14 am
who are you?

the antichrist with a spinning head?
0 Replies