Some differences between love and compassion.

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 05:56 am
..... Compassion is extremely broad. Through the compassion he feels for his child, a person's compassion encompasses all young and even all living beings, and acts as a sort of mirror to the comprehensiveness of the Name of All-Compassionate. Whereas passionate love restricts its gaze to its beloved and sacrifices everything for it. Or else to elevate and praise its beloved, it denigrates others, and in effect insults them and abuses their honour. For example, one said: "The sun saw my beloved's beauty and was embarrased. In order not to see it, it veiled itself in cloud." Lover, fine sir! What right do you have to impute shame to the sun, which is a light-filled page of eight Greatest Names?
Moreover, compassion is sincere, wants nothing in return; it is pure and seeks nothing in exchange. The self-sacrificing, unselfish compassion of animals for their young, at the most common degree even, is evidence for this. Passionate love, however, desires remuneration and seeks return. The weepings of passionate love are a sort of demanding, a desiring remuneration.......
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,137 • Replies: 7
No top replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 12:04 pm
Compassion requires action, pity does not...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 12:14 pm
Compassion is only one form of love...

The Greeks had a single separate word for each type of love...

Phileo = Human love

Agape = God's love...

Eros = Erotic love

Maternal, paternal, brotherly

etc...
0 Replies

kevnmoon

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 01:44 pm
Completely true.. Phileo must be used for Agape.. Eros is also one class but different one..

''Compassion is only one form of love...''
orginal...
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 05:36 am
It is philia not phileo (prononounced phi-lee-ah) and it means 'friendship'.

As you said agape means love between people, not erotic love and eros is the erotic love.

In English you have only one word for love. Maybe that's why you try to prove Greeks homosexuals?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 11:09 am
Ellinas wrote:

As you said agape means love between people, not erotic love and eros is the erotic love.

In English you have only one word for love. Maybe that's why you try to prove Greeks homosexuals?

Thanks for your input I was using ancient Greek as used and transliterated in the Bible not modern Greek.

http://bible1.crosswalk.com/Lexicons/Greek/grk.cgi?number=5368&version=kjv

I call phileo "human love" or you scratch my back I'll scratch yours... (nothing gay about that... ) hehe

Agape, I heard defined as: The love of God in the renewed mind in manifestation...
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 05:54 am
RexRed wrote:
Ellinas wrote:

Thanks for your input I was using ancient Greek as used and transliterated in the Bible not modern Greek.

I call phileo "human love" or you scratch my back I'll scratch yours... (nothing gay about that... ) hehe

Agape, I heard defined as: The love of God in the renewed mind in manifestation...

These words are the same in older and modern Greek. Phileo is a verb, philia is the noun.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 11:25 am
Ellinas wrote:
RexRed wrote:
Ellinas wrote:

These words are the same in older and modern Greek. Phileo is a verb, philia is the noun.

Thanks for that distinction. Smile

Love is truly a verb, that requires action...
0 Replies