[answered] Friggin' Ask.Com Ad makes trouble.

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 09:12 am
Each time the Ask.com ad appears at the right of my screen A2k slows down or freezes. Usually I don't even notice the ads (OK even I notice the woman on the dating ad with the big boobs), but this ad is making me nuts. Anyone else having a problem or is this a special make Green Witch crazy scheme.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 884 • Replies: 9
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 09:17 am
Oh!

I haven't connected it to anything in particular but I've been having a weird deal happen and only when I'm on A2K.

I start getting all of these blank pop up type things and a message that I "must click okay to continue".

I have to go into the task manager and shut down A2K, then I can sign back on and everything works okay for a while. Then it happens again.

Is your problem anything like that?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 09:21 am
Boom, when you get a pop-up which reads "must click (anything) to continue," shut it down by clicking on the "X" in the upper right-hand corner, or right-click the task-bar label for that crap, and select close. You are never obliged to do anything a pop-up claims you must do.

It does seem, though, that you may have spyware or another form of scumware on your box. You might go online and search for "hijackthis," and run a spyware check on your box to see if it has been hit.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 09:23 am
I've never had the problem you are describing Boomer.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 09:26 am
Clicking the X on the corner doesn't do anything but bring up another click yes to continue thing.

But I can go into the task manager and shut it down.

When I do that it shuts A2K down too.

I don't have the problem when working from/using any other site.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 10:20 am
boom, that sounds like you have an adware problem.
I dont think that is a2k.

can you - or do you have a adware / spyware scan on your computer?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 10:28 am
boomer, I have an abacus running Win 1249 and I've never encountered this problem, try leaving your machine unplugged when browsing a2k.
Your friend
The Dys.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 02:41 am
shewolfnm wrote:
boom, that sounds like you have an adware problem.
I dont think that is a2k.

Indeed, they will sometimes trigger based on certain common ad-code in order to appear like it's coming from said ad. Youl likely have malware that is using certain of A2K's ad network codes to trigger itself in order to appear to be coming from the net and not locally.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 02:43 am
Re: Friggin' Ask.Com Ad makes trouble.
Green Witch wrote:
Each time the Ask.com ad appears at the right of my screen A2k slows down or freezes. Usually I don't even notice the ads (OK even I notice the woman on the dating ad with the big boobs), but this ad is making me nuts. Anyone else having a problem or is this a special make Green Witch crazy scheme.

It may be that you need to update your flash plugin due to a particular technology used that requires a more recent flash plugin but that's a guess (unfortunately it's probably all I can help with).
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 06:19 pm
Thanks Craven, my MIS guy is watching basketball all this week but once that is over I will mention it to him.
0 Replies