0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 09:23 pm
Steve Morse.

Game over.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 07:29 pm
There are so many missing from that last, let's add...

Duane Allman

Alvin Lee

STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN

p.s. good list blueveinedthrobber
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 09:17 pm
LionTamerX wrote:
Steve Morse.

Game over.

I opened for the Dixie Dregs in Nags Head once. Awesome.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 09:17 pm
Without Chet Atkins and Les Paul no list is complete Smile
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 09:20 pm
You've got that right, and also im a fan of

Danny Gatton, Roy Buchanon

2 telecaster gods.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 09:24 pm
http://www.dannygatton.com/Sounds/MP3/Beggarman_clip.mp3

Gatton at age 15 on guitar. Truly one of the best guitarists I believe, not well known though, now he's gone and it's a damn shame.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 09:25 pm
Right you are!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 09:25 pm
the best guitarist ever has probably never played outside of his or her room and we will probably never know of them.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 09:28 pm
Thankfully or he would put you and me of business.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 09:52 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
LionTamerX wrote:
Steve Morse.

Game over.

Wow, what year ? I 've seen the various incarnations of the Dixie Dregs/Dregs/Steve Morse Band probably 10 times or so, but never had the pleasure of opening for them. I still think he is untouchable .
In 1983 I went to the Beacon Theater in NYC to see Paco DeLucia, John McLoughlin, and Al DiMeola with high hopes. After 45 minutes of unabashed guitar wankery, I left early, bought a bottle of bourbon, and hopped a cab down to Washington Square Park. I spent the next hour or so totally enthralled with a jazz trio playing under the arch.
Good times.

Back to the topic, Django Reinhardt...No one could swing like Django.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 06:58 am
Chumly wrote:

definitely me... I'm not a great guitarist by any stretch of the imagination. I accompany myself and do it without making mistakes. That's about it. Like the song says I'm "strictly ryhthm man I don't make it cry or sing....." As I've grown older I've learned how to not sound like a guitar hero but not sound bad on guitar... and my voice does the rest. Singing's my main thing. I understand music down to the smallest nuance, but was not gifted with the ability to transfer that knowledge to my fingertips (and my fingers are starting to gnarl up a little because of arthritis) so I concentrate on what I do best which is feel and dependable chording. Tone after all, is ultimately in the fingers.....
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 23 Mar, 2006 07:04 am
LionTamerX wrote:
LionTamerX wrote:
Steve Morse.

Game over.

Wow, what year ? I 've seen the various incarnations of the Dixie Dregs/Dregs/Steve Morse Band probably 10 times or so, but never had the pleasure of opening for them. I still think he is untouchable .
In 1983 I went to the Beacon Theater in NYC to see Paco DeLucia, John McLoughlin, and Al DiMeola with high hopes. After 45 minutes of unabashed guitar wankery, I left early, bought a bottle of bourbon, and hopped a cab down to Washington Square Park. I spent the next hour or so totally enthralled with a jazz trio playing under the arch.
Good times.

Back to the topic, Django Reinhardt...No one could swing like Django.

We played with the Dregs in either the late 70's or early 80's.... great guys... they came in for an afternoon soundcheck ( they were using our sound) and we all sat around and drank Chinese Rice Beer all afternoon... I don't know how any of us were able to play at all that night.... we were extremely popular around there and normally took multiple encores etc, but that night everyone just wanted us to get the hell of the stage so the Dregs would play Laughing

I saw McLaughlin with Mahavishnu at DAR Constitution hall in 1970 or 71 touring Birds of Fire and Inner Mounting albums and they were basically a musical overdose of crystal and coke. I left the place with every nerve in my body rubbed raw. It was great. The level of musicianship was incredible. I was also tripping and pretty stoned. Laughing
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 10:59 pm
Chumly wrote:

definitely me... I'm not a great guitarist by any stretch of the imagination. I accompany myself and do it without making mistakes. That's about it. Like the song says I'm "strictly ryhthm man I don't make it cry or sing....." As I've grown older I've learned how to not sound like a guitar hero but not sound bad on guitar... and my voice does the rest. Singing's my main thing. I understand music down to the smallest nuance, but was not gifted with the ability to transfer that knowledge to my fingertips (and my fingers are starting to gnarl up a little because of arthritis) so I concentrate on what I do best which is feel and dependable chording. Tone after all, is ultimately in the fingers.....
I took many years of lessons for both piano and guitar. My efforts are split equally between voice and guitar. Doing a high tech solo act, lots of toys for the boys, I don't copy solos though, I play my own,

For solos, I say damn the torpedoes, I say it's close enough to recycled wank as it is without trying to reinvent the wheel.

I embrace vibrato & legato, I could care less about gnat-notes.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 07:55 am
In my solo act I'm just the opposite. No toys except a small delay on the vocal.

Naked. I like being naked.
0 Replies